355 - Ventilate out air from the coolant system | FerrariChat

355 Ventilate out air from the coolant system

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Mar 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    How to ventilate out suspected air from the cooling system on a F355?
    My coolant level decreases when I measure between rides. (Measure cold engine of course) No coolant water in the engine or in the gearbox oil and I don't see any white smoke from exhausts either. It does not smell coolant from the exhausts.

2. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I’ve always bled my 355 cooling system by running the engine with the expansion tank cap removed. Basically:

- when cold fill the system with coolant according to owners manual level

- leave the coolant filler cap off

- start the engine and leave idling until the thermostat opens

- *important* turn on the cabin heater and set to full heat, fan speed 1, a/c off. During the bleeding process, check the heater is blowing hot

- air will bubble up in the expansion tank and the coolant level will go down, trickle in more coolant to keep liquid in the expansion tank at all times

- I usually run the car until air stops bubbling, and both cooling fans have been running a while

- top up to the level according to owners manual

- replace the expansion tank cap

- let the car cool down and when cold check coolant level according to owners manual/top-up if necessary

if the coolant keeps going down after you’ve done all this then it’s time for a pressure test.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There are 2 cooling system air bleed nipples on the fire wall in front of the engine on the US passenger side as well. Have a look they are obvious when you see them.

4. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    On my 355 there is a single bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing -- tried it once, waste of time: mess everywhere, safety hazard to reach while the engine is running. Have changed the coolant maybe half a dozen times in the last 17 years and have never bothered with the bleed screw apart from that one first time & never had a problem with my method above.

5. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Agreed. The coolant expansion tank is at the highest point in the cooling system and self bleeds any air out of the system rapidly. There is no need to bleed it after refilling with new coolant, just keep topping it off as the air bubbles out of the tank. If you are continuing to see your coolant level drop after multiple drive cycles you have a leak somewhere in the system. I would suggest using a cooling system pressure tool to pressurize the system and see if it holds the pressure over time. If it starts leaking down, there is a leak somewhere you need to find.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is only on the 348.
    The 355 is self-bleed. Run it with the cap open until hot and then close it up.

I, however, own an Airlift system and I always fill up the coolant with the Airlift. Makes zero mess, and needs no bleeding. Quick too.