Vehicles with the worst depreciation values | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Vehicles with the worst depreciation values

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WJHMH, Aug 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #76 nathandarby67, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
    I love the fact that Jags and such depreciate so darn fast. See a new model you like? Just wait a (very) few short years and pick one up for 75% off. A 1st gen XKR is one of the cars on my short list over the next year or two, I may keep it 6-12 months and then move on to something else interesting. Then before too long the new model XKR's will be in the mid-teens as well and I will snap one of those up! If you want to experience one of these cars for the fewest dollars, the best bet is to wait until they have dropped to below half original MSRP, and then only keep it a year or so at most. By that point the depreciation curve has flattened out some and you shouldn't lose too much value over 6-12 months. Within a 6-12 months window you can usually sell a car for about what you pay for it, assuming that you shop around and get decent deal when you buy it.

2. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    This thread is STILL going on? FOUR pages?!? I thought it would have ended a long time ago with the first mentions of "Jaguar" and "Range Rover". :D

3. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Almost bought one back in 1986 until I looked the KBB values of cars 3-5 years old. Yikes!

Bought a BMW 325es instead, based in part on how well they retained their value. Our 1999 M3 has retained a surprising fraction of its value.

4. Minch00

Minch00 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Brandon McDonald

I payed right around $27,XXX. Plus taxes and whatnot. Even still, I wasn't happy with how the car ended up. Makes me wary on that Cadillac CTS-V SportWagen :)