Vehicles with the worst depreciation values | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Vehicles with the worst depreciation values

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WJHMH, Aug 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Jesus. Even considering the mileage that's a steal!!!

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    the BIG Range Rovers are the worst culprits :(

check eBay to see what happens to their value = not good

don't ask me how I know :(

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    [/indent]

Wow... that makes you think. From a used car perspective, I can't imagine much disappointment at the dealership when you buy a $25k car.

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    What about Audi R8's They seem to drop like rocks.

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ^^^ Oh my . Thanks for reminding me. My '87 brought low teens as I recall at 12,000 miles(the moment the warranty expired), don't recall if it was three or fours old.

Next hardest to offload was a Jag with an Audi not far behind.

6. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    #56 Steveny360, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
    Customers who spend 100k plus on a car don't want to wait around the dealership and read 4 year old magazines just to be told they aren't getting their car back until parts can be ordered. Then if a loaner is offered it's a 10 year old rat trap.

I love the service we get from our BMW dealer. They are an hour and 45 minute drive. They come here, pick up the vehicle, drop off a nearly new loaner, take our vehicle, repair it, detail it, and then bring it back and take their loaner back. That's service. That keeps me buying more cars from them.

The only thing they have done to upset me and it really wasn't that big of a deal, when we were ready to replace the SUV I specifically asked the salesman if they were coming out with an M model for the X5. He said no, so we bought the 4.8 X5. Three weeks later we gat a post card....come check out the new X5M, my wifes head looked like it was going to explode. Even worse is the M was not that much more money than the regular X5.

7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    06 S500, $93k new, $30k in '09, with less than 30k miles and still under warranty.

8. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007

Body style change is why. It will happen again with the S next time they do a refit. I have had two S classes and IMO they are great cars. Very comfortable cars to travel in. If I ever hit the lotto I would buy an S65 and travel for a year staying at 5 star hotels all along the way. ahhhh maybe i'd just go with the Maybach.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    funny, I've always wanted to do that do. Like RV'ing for snobs :)

today I saw a RR Phantom for $140k, 22k miles. I think it was a 2005. so it lost what, $200-225k in five years?

10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yea, I could see how that would be upsetting. The level of service I'm used to (from BMW as a MINI owner and from Mercedes as a SmartCar owner) is that the car goes into the shop, and they try to return it having fixed something completely different to the problem I brought the car in for and leaving my concerns unaddressed. After I press the issue, they accept the car back but say they're very busy but will try to get to it... more time goes by. Eventually they tell me that they've ran out of time and I'll have to bring it back another day. I book it in for another day and request a courtesy car. They tell me that they have none available and point me in the direction of the car hire place next door. As I'm walking out, I hear them say to a customer dropping off a Mercedes C-class that they'll see if they can arrange a courtesy car for them.

*sigh* :(

To be honest, I'd probably be ok with spending $25k on a Phaeton and having the 10-year old courtesy car as an option - as long as it keeps me mobile. What are running costs on a Phaeton like?

Sounds nice. :)

Did you ask the dealer if they'd take the 4.8 X5 back to allow you to get the X5M you really wanted in the first place?

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    #61 Steveny360, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

The pheaton I had was a W12 with all the options. I had no problems with the car out of warranty. I also purchased a 04 Touareg around the same time, I also had no problems out of warranty. I got rid of both vehicles before the warranty was up because the cars were plagued with problems while in warranty. I think that Phaeton would be bookoo bucks to fix out of warranty.

Yes we asked the dealer if we could bring back the 4.8 and they said sure at a 20k$ hit.

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ah, well if reliability is a problem then there goes that theory for it being a good deal...

Not particularly generous of them. :eek:

Do you think it was an honest mistake or do you think they were trying to move stock and hoped you'd later upgrade to the X5M anyway?

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007

On the Phaeton, I didn't have problems that would cause the car not to run I just wanted everything to work perfectly. The Touareg on the other hand was always in the shop, Phaeton went in about once a month, touareg more often, we finally gave up on the TPMMS system in the touareg.

I think the saleman didn't know and I blame myself for not doing more research. Our other car was worn out and needed some work so if we had waited it would have cost just as much.

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ah ok. What sorts of things went wrong on the Phaeton?

Fair enough.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    It was all just little stuff. Mostly the gadgets that make the car cool. I think a lot of the stuff that was on the W12 is not on the V8 but I am unsure of that as I have never seen a V8.

16. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well, it's always said that the more gadgets there are the more likely things will go wrong. :eek:

Have you ever had any gadget-heavy reliable cars to compare to the Phaeton? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Yes and the Phaeton was pretty solid. The Touareg was not.

18. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the review. :)

I've been idly contemplating what car I'll buy when I move back to the US (eventually), and I have been thinking of a used BMW 6 series or a new Chevrolet Camaro. I guess I can add a used Phaeton to the list of cars to consider - adds a bit of variety to the types I think. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. ScottForster

ScottForster Rookie

Aug 30, 2010
    I saw one last year selling for 6500 on my local CL. It was a 1997 and was in decent shape for the price

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    996's have come way down especially the tt cars.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I saw an early 1st gen jaguar XK8 convertible on a used car lot this morning...for $6,995. How much did that cost new, $70k? Ouch.

22. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    $70k to $7k? That is horrible.

23. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I have always thought everyone knew Jaguar prices dropped like a rock.

I always though Range Rover prices did too then I saw a commercial that said they held their prices better than any other luxury SUV. If that is so then the other luxury SUV prices must fall like a missile shot into the ground.

24. Minch00

Minch00 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Brandon McDonald
    In terms of sort of "normal" cars, the Mopar LX series of vehicles dropped like rocks. The Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum/Charger is what I'm talking about. I took delivery of a 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T, $33,000 MSRP. In 2010 with 50k miles, I received $11,000 on trade in. No bueno.

25. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    did you pay MSRP?
    the numbers , in general, are as bad when one considers "street" vs sticker prices.

in the exotics category, I think Astons are the worst.
    among hi lines, prob Jag and MB