Vapor Lock? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Vapor Lock?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Highmiler, Apr 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The one in the relay bay is a D.C. Johnson box. There is no other.

I agree the right bank ought to be starving for fuel at road speeds and it may be. In any case the kinked line is goinig to be replaced so that starvation issue will go away. I just thought it might be a dual purpose kink.

Also, I had discovered the missing brush issue in the distributor cap and the new one has transformed the engine's performance. For short bursts around our country roads the engine jumps from 2000 to 6000 RPM very quickly. So I am thinking my "vapor lock" isn't electrical.

Greg

2. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've had this problem with vintage cars in the past and the fix is relatively easy, but the diagnosis is a problem. On sunny days in slow traffic with the sun beating down on that long hood the fuel in the rail coming up over the motor to the carbs can boil and cause starvation.
    The fix was to buy an insulator sleeve at the local speed shop and slip it over the rails from the riser to the carbs. "Cool It" was the brand name that I used. A similar culprit is gook and rust in the fuel tank that intermittently collects around the uptake screen and blocks flow at times and then disperses and flow is restored, but it sounds like boiling to me.
    Hope this helps.
    Oceans

3. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It sure does help! You describe the symptoms perfectly.
    While mine is injected I had come to the point of looking for a place where heat could get at the fuel lines when I spotted that kink.
    Now that I know where to put the sleeve insulation that will be next. The unkinked replacement hose is 3 weeks away.
    Thanks,
    Greg