458 - Values | Reason for selling | FerrariChat

458 Values | Reason for selling

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jagged155, Oct 6, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

In the next 12 month, 458 prices will _____

1. increase

2. depreciate

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Ferrari owners: what are your thoughts on current 458 values? There are several obvious factors that have caused a jolt in exotic car values, but specifically, 458's appear to be commanding an even higher premium. A friend in the exotic wholesale business mentioned that 458's are now selling for more at auction and wholesale than they sold for retail pre-COVID. Also, it appears that there are a lot of 458's changing hands. Are owners selling while the market is hot and capitalizing pandemic spending? Or are we finally seeing the bottom (in regards to depreciation) and a slight bounce? We all know that this is the last naturally aspirated mid-engine Ferrari, but this recent bump in values doesn't appear to be due to a "collector/enthusiast" following quite yet.

Ssaa77 and docf like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Must be a US thing. They aren't moving fast here and prices are still on the decline.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    US is stable to up. Crazy bubble right now.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Market goes up anymore I may move the car. Love the 458 but I agree market is so strong.

5. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I try to keep up with resale values; other than Special &,Aperta I see a tapering off vs price increases. My conclusion on the basis of Autotrader,eBay,cars.com ect.

Gh21631 and jagged155 like this.
  6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have no data to back-up my statement, but I have heard it from a couple dealers that they stated the 458 prices are stabilizing and going up slightly. In my opinion, some of this may be a self fulfilling prophesy as many in the Ferrari world have consistently spoken about this being the last NA V8 from Ferrari that was designed by Pininfarina. If it is stated enough and starts to spread among enthusiast, I can see the demand growing and hence starting a quasi "run" on 458's. Again, I have ZERO data to back this up. Honestly, dealers speculate and may raise prices and if they have a client purchase a 458, other dealers will notice and raise their prices as well. AGAIN, no data but pure speculation on my part. Poor examples will sit while good, well kept, well optioned cars will move.

Have a said that I have no data to back this up????:rolleyes:

jagged155 likes this.
  7. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Interesting. I have been watching 2013-2015 Spiders listed from $215-$245 quickly drop off inventory listings. Spoke with someone who bought a 2014 Spider for $215 and had multiple people next in line if he didn't purchase. Dealer didn't even have time to print the stickers yet.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s the all market here that is up. Just check bring a trailer: 355’s, Testarossa are selling 10-15% higher than per covid and inventory is down. Makes little sense but that’s what is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jagged155 likes this.
  9. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    In Finland prices of 458s have gone steadily up from the bottom that was in 2017. Coupes with good specs are moving. Prices around 250kEur. Spiders commanding 50kEur more. But as always, there are not too many buyers and oddly specced cars tend to sit. Europe and the rest of the world will follow what is happening on the US market.

But its undeniable how good of a car a 458 is. It's classic in the making and will always hold It's appeal. Now is the time to buy.

docf and RayJohns like this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I just spoke to my dealer down in southern CA the other day and he echoed the exact same sentiments being posted here - i.e. that 458's are a real hot commodity right now.

I think what we are seeing here is multifaceted:

1. The 458 is a great car and represents great value for the money
    2. A newer 488 costs significantly more, but isn't nearly as enjoyable to drive
    3. The Pista is a non-starter for most people, unless you want to jump through all sorts of crazy hoops with your dealer
    4. The F8 could be a big risk and could end up being yesterday's Ferrari before it's even delivered

Why would anyone in their right mind not go running back to buy arguably the single best modern V8 Ferrari ever made; with an N/A motor and designed by Pininfarina no less.

My prediction is the 458 will continue to hold steady - or perhaps even start to climb a little - while the F8 could very well set a new record for depreciation. Ferrari isn't looking to make these cars more exclusive in the future. Just the opposite: they are looking to make as many as they possibly can. Trying to keep the brand exclusive, while trying to make the brand widely available to more people is just a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

But hey, what do I know? Just my 2 cents. I could be way off base.

I'm probably going to test drive an F8 soon here. If anyone will give you a real review, I will haha :)

Ray

11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    up. one of the all time greats.

12. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am a rookie to all this so please take with a grain of salt...

Last week on my way to test drive my 458 Italia I was picked up and dropped off in an F8 and allowed to drive it both ways.

Beautiful car, more kick with acceleration and through the shifts. More planted then the 458.

Did not make me smile like like the Italia. I am much more into the emotion than the performance and for me the F8 is without.

Now I am living off test drive videos waiting for her to be delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Unfortunately the long term trend of depreciation with the 458 will continue. They made way to many cars for it not to follow traditional depreciation. Add the increased options available in the market (ie McLaren) will only increase the downward pricing pressure.
    The good news is a lot of depreciation has occurred so if you were to buy one now your losses will be less than if you purchased new.

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This is very market dependent. In my neck if the woods, the 458 has bottomed out and prices haven’t gone anywhere in the past 12 months.

Anyway, I’m not ever selling mine and I haven’t bought mine expecting to make money out of it (quite the reverse), so I’m looking at this with some healthy distancing.

I believe the current/future automotive industry trend and world events will cause the 458 to appreciate. How could it not? I mean, imagine tomorrow someone bans beer from the face of the Earth, and you can only drink soda. What would that do to beer prices, assuming people wouldn’t quit liking it overnight?

Some say, despite the 458 being the last naturally aspirated V8 engine Ferrari has ever made, at the end of the day, it’s just a car. Yes, it is. But also no, it isn’t. Some cars encapsulate an era (Testarossa), and that makes matters more complex than looking at it like “just a car”. Suddenly, there’s an intangible.

I see no reason for the market, in time, to treat the 458 any differently than it did the Testarossa or the 355.

The last naturally aspirated V8 in the history of a brand, any brand, wouldn’t be that big a deal. But in brand whose essence is naturally aspirated engines, it has to play a role, be it decisive or small. And if the brand is Ferrari, maybe the whole naturally aspirated question won’t matter to you personally, but I’m quite sure the market will matter.

Even if by some miracle it didn’t, in a couple of years will be all forced to drive vacuum cleaners on four wheels and I can take great joy in telling my grandchildren how a naturally aspirated Ferrari felt to drive (namely the last, the pinnacle of them all in almost 70 years of history), a car they can’t buy anymore even with all the money in the world. There will always be time to drive turbos and hybrids.

Again; I may be wrong and missing something, but even if Mondials and 348s have appreciated over time, I don’t see why a 458 wouldn’t, or why the market would appreciate other iconic cars (355, Testarossa) but leave the 458 out in the cold. In a way, the 458 is even more significant in Ferrari’s history.

And it’s not just about theory or history: the 458 is epic to drive. You can feel the theory in your spine and fingertips. It’s not an abstraction.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

15. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I love my 458. Appreciate? No way. The M2 supply is up 10% in 2020 so far. If anything, we are just seeing inflation here in the US. My groceries cost more. My takeout costs more. My roofer raised his price nearly 10% because of demand. Hotels and air travel are the only thing keeping inflation in check. Everything I actually want to buy is costing more.

Gh21631 and Ash Patel like this.
  16. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    As a new owner of a 458 I hope UP. I have been looking on many different sites basically every day for a year trying to find the one I wanted. During that time I have seen prices for low mileage to high mileage units slightly increase in asking price when compared to like mileage cars. I can also tell you the units with greater than 23,000 miles take a lot longer to sell.

17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    458's...I have been looking and watching Italia's and Speciale....are holding. under 10k'ish miles 458 Italia's with decent specs are advertised around $150-$170k. Speciale are around $350k. I can tell you that these prices were around the same back in October-Dec last year when I was looking...maybe $10k higher....458 Italia's I was looking at were around $170-$180k and Speciale $380k'ish a year ago.

You can get about $10k off these listed prices if you do your negotiating correctly and hit the cars that have been on the market a while. Some go off the market and back on so the days on market shows less but if you watch the listings long enough you can catch on to the game.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2064&zip=34655

Gh21631 and jagged155 like this.
  18. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Ferrari of Denver has a 2011 with 33k miles for $176k, lowest I've seen from a dealer.

19. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Valid point, however many will argue that we are not experiencing abnormal inflation. If the trend continues, it will be in fact be "hyper" inflation. Otherwise it's supply and demand as a whole. We will see soon...

20. ArtOnWheels

ArtOnWheels Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Good luck finding an F355 Berlinetta at all in a Canada or a red 458 Italia with the two mandatory items of upgraded seating, and LED steering wheel, and no strange options. Funny though it seems the spider variants of both those cars are not hard to find. I’ve been watching the 458 Italia market for 3 years and it seems like you are watching for a Unicorn.

21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    there is a 2011 6k miles for $170k in Ft. Lauderdale.... told it can be had for $160...been for sale for 112 days....once taken down and put back up for sale 2 weeks ago.

22. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I live in Denver and stopped by to look at it. In good shape for those miles but definitely a drivers car.

I was getting ready to by an Italia and did not look into the car any more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Comparing the 458 to a 355 is not as simple as one might think. 458 is an extremely solid car with low maintenance and service costs compared to a 355. Even to a 360! The DCT clutch, carbon ceramic brakes, no belt changes, etc etc.

So the fact that 458 is a very solid car can't be emphasized too much! My car is from 2010 and I have a valid factory Power Warranty on it. Now that tells you something. The factory trusts the car and so can you.

They hit a homerun with this model. There's no better way of describing it. The car just feels right in your hands. It makes you smile. Tingles your spine. Makes you want to drive it often. And you can say this without exaggerating one bit!

Forza 458!

24. ArtOnWheels

ArtOnWheels Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Yes I agree. Actually it was not my intent to compare the two to one another. I’m 458 all the way but was including it in the harder to find and increasing value grouping.

25. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Well said.

Ray

Mikael-F360 likes this.