Value of an 82 Mondial coupe? | FerrariChat

Value of an 82 Mondial coupe?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Boca Exotics, Jul 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    I apologize if this question has been asked resently, buy I would like to know what you can expect to pay for a 1982 Modial with 30k plus miles. I appreciate any responses.

2. Will

Will Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    $100,000 at least.........IT'S A FERRARI!!!..........just kidding with good records I'd say no more than $30,000

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Between $12K and $28K, depending on condition...

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You would need to provide a lot more data. With a Ferrari, condition and service records are king. Without those, there is no way to give you a price. An '82 Mondial generally runs between about $18K (decent shape no recent major service) and $30K (perfect condition, recent major service) but that is about as specific as you can get without more info.

Birdman

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Birdman, he said "buy", not "sell." <very big grin>

One can only assume he's in the business, and we all know you make your money up front, not when you sell one of these cars...

-Peter

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Peter,
    We generally agree on the value of them except you have the low end lower. I would agree they can go even lower than 12K if they are beat, but in that case they can go to below $5K if beat enough!!

I was assuming a pretty decent car all around with no issues, no rust, etc.

Besides, I'm doing my part to keep the values up! ;)

Birdman

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Condition and documentation are the key.
    They are actually beginning to come up.

Would make sure eveything works.

8. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    Thanks guys, all your opinions are very valuable. I can't recall if the owner had mentioned the service but I will be inspecting the vehicle on Monday. I can tell you that the interior needs alittle TLC and the car has been repainted.

Yes, I am in the business and the interested buyer is trading up to a 348. My car is in wonderful condition - I would hate to trade for a "big Lemon". I have seen sale prices from $19k to $24k on a coupe from 82 to 85.

I will keep you gentlemen informed if anyone is interested in my offer for this car. If it is a nice enough car, you may see it posted on the FerriAds. If the car is "trashed", it will be up for sale at your local dealer auction.

Thanks again guys.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I know of a pair that recently sold at or around 14K each. These were running/driving cars with some issues and private sales.

If it's 'trashed' drop me a pm, a cheap running project might catch my attention

10. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    Lolaman & Birdman, thanks for the info and appreciate the need to keep the value of the older 8 cylinder Ferrari's up. Unfortunatly, I can only give perspective trade-ins, only what the market dictates out there.

Tillman: I will keep you posted. Although I believe this car might have a few issues, I don't think it is ready for the junk yard. I'll come back with the full details on this vehicle.

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Of course, we need more details, but a Mondial 8 (1980-1982) is in the range of 16,000 for a rough but fixable car (needs TLC, Major, etc) to 24,000 for a really nice one (recent major, no big problems cosmetically or mechanically). Again, we will need to know more to give a better answer.

12. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    This vehicle has 31k miles, red w/ black interior. Mechanic (reputable) says car drives great mechanically for an 82' Mondial. There is overspray on some of the re-paint and some rust at the lower area behind the front drivers wheel. Seats are cracked and tear in leather on the seat (looks like weak area of seat). Leather feels very dry and brittle. Would this need re-upholestring? No proof of 30k service but mechanic claims he can change the belts for $1300 - this is without removing the engine (does this sound right to you?). Haven't driven the car yet - waiting to work out a deal first.

I will post some photos later this afternoon.

Thanks

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yes, can do belts without removing engine. Price for belt change is VERY good IF being done right. 2,500-3,000 normally. Better know what he is doing, and check/ replace the tensioners as well.

Car sounds like it needs about 4,000-5,000 worth of body/ interior work if you wish to get it done. My guess: Car is worth 15,000- 17,000. Pics will help.
    Sam

14. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    #14 Boca Exotics, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver

I don't know if it's still available, but there's a red '82 coupe, with about 30K miles in Burbank, that has been for sale at $15K for quite awhile. I drove it, and seems to run and steer okay.

But.. It was sitting for a very long time in a garage in Malibu, that developed a leak that dripped on the top of the left front fender, where it ate a hole of rust about the size of a golf-ball, all-the-way-thorugh the fender.

There was also evidence of rust below the doors. And the exhaust was bent down for some reason. Missing switches, and stuff on the interior. It was really pretty rough.

The dealer said they had an offer of $12.5K, and then added, "If it doesn't sell by Friday, we'll sell it to the person who made that offer".

Three weeks later, it was still for sale. That was about 2 months ago. I last so it on Craigslist about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Don't know if it's still available.

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yes, only available from Coker, $415 each. Far better investment to replace the wheels. Do a search, several good threads in this section about this issue.

Car appears decent, too bad about the seat. My take on value: You could get $15K for it easily, perhaps as high as $19k if it has new belts and ready to go. More than that, maybe a little, but it would take a while.

Just my $.02 WAG.

Birdman

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sam, that's a price just to do belts? That sounds more like a price to adjust valves, etc. too. Belts/tensioners are a one day job for a mechanic that knows what he is doing. I would think $1300 is about right.

Birdman

18. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    Well I have been thinking about this for the past two days. My offer will obviously be lower than $15k, so I have room to make any necessary repairs. I will try to be as fair as possible, but I'm sure he will not like my first offer. Stay tuned as I will let you know how this turns out.

Besides, I am reluctant to let my 348 go just yet because I need it for the Miami Vice premiere here in South Florida. If you look up the Florida threads, you will see that we have been planning to display the South Florida Ferrari's at the premiere in South Beach with Universal and Jamie Fox. This event should have Ferrari's displayed - it's going to be alot of fun. You guys should come on down.

Rich

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I may have missed it, but why trade a 348 for a Mondial 8? Anyway, 15K would be a good price for you. 17,000 would not be too high, based on what I am seeing and hearing.
    Good luck.
    Sam

20. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have yet to find someone to do it for 1,300 around here (NYC area).
    Sam

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Sam, Birdman,

$1300 is not unreasonable (and even doable) for JUST belts. However, the belts need service and replacement less often than the cam seals and the corners of the valve cover gasket. So many cars come through here after their "just done the belts" service leaking profusely onto the headers and smoking at every stoplight, it's embarassing. $2500-$3000 (still on the light side, IMO) to do ALL the top end gaskets, belts and tensioner bearings (but not a water pump or anything else that might be needed) sounds in the range for some of the "less expensive" independents. As always, prices vary all over the country and from tech to tech. YMMV.

-Peter

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  23. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    Well guys, I made my offer of $12k on this particular Mondial, and as I suspected, my potential (Ferrari trade-in) buyer was not too happy with my offer. He has it for sale around $24k. Big difference - huh. I will be willing to work something out with him but I guess will see where this goes. I did suggest that he leave the Mondial out of the transaction and buy the 348 without the trade.

I think this one is lost.