V12 on battery tender | FerrariChat

V12 on battery tender

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by KarlA69, Dec 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi guys

I'm putting my 812 GTS in a garage for the first time and it comes with a power point - whoop! A few questions please for those using a charger:

- One of the main issues with leaving it off a charger for a while is that it sometimes throws up weird error codes (e.g. transmission failure) when you drive. I presume this is not an issue anymore if it's on a charger even if not driven for say a month or two?
    - I have heard people complain about the Ferrari standard charger. Should I just go out an buy a new one (which?) or is the standard one OK at least to start with?
    - Is there any way to check it's plugged in and charging correctly?

Thanks

Karl

2. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    Correct no weird error codes come up anymore when it's at the charger.
    I had those issues with mine after only 3 weeks in the garage without charging.

The LED on top of the charger turns into yellow if it's charging and green when the battery is fine.
    Red if it's not connected.

The actual genuine charger is doing a good job no need to buy another one.

Sent from my SM-G981B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Karl - The new Ferrari battery maintainer is much better than the older ones. I leave both the Speciale and the 812 GTS plugged in all the time.

Alcav5 likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on the GTS!

The new tender is pretty good.

Read the owners manual, I have not yet read the one for the GTS, but on several Ferrari models it says you need to put it on the tender if the car sits for as little as 70 hours .

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    -CTEK 7002.
    -You will have no problem knowing it is tending correctly.

Caeruleus11 and tomc like this.
  6. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    The one that comes with the 812 is fine. It has the magnetic attachment points on it (make sure they are clean). I put it on whenever I get home.

When you first attach wait until it goes yellow and you are good.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The advantage of the CTEK 7002 is that if your battery runs down, it will recharge the battery and desulphate it if it is lead acid. The Ferrari tender will only maintain a charge, if the battery dies you are SOL.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Does it come with the mag connector? Or can you purchase one?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Some kits will come with adapters for different Ferrari connectors, and I've also seen the connectors sold separately. Just check on Amazon and eBay.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Good to know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks all! Will put it on the standard Ferrari charger this weekend and see how it goes. Will be nice to not be worried about leaving it for a week or two without driving over winter.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The Ferrari one used to be terrible. Now its pretty good. The Ctek one is even better. You can get the connectors. Make sure the lights on the tender indicate a connection. Sometimes if the connectors on the car get dirty it won’t make a connection and you might think its working, and it isn’t.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Nospinzone likes this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    One other point, never leave the connector attached to the car without the tender plugged into an electrical outlet. If the tender is not plugged in it will actually draw current from the battery.

14. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    How do you clean the connectors occasionally? Would you recommend rubbing alcohol?

15. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The new tender is fantastic and as others have said, yellow light when charging and connected going to green. On a tender when not driving produced no error codes for me.

16. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Since there were some expressed concerns about the magnetic battery tender actually being connected although all indications were that the connection was solid, I investigated another, additional monitoring option. I found the Antigravity Battery Tracker which sends you data regarding your battery via Bluetooth. This device is awesome. I first learned about it in a Youtube video, . The monitor, depending on which model you select, will work with both lithium and non-lithium batteries. For the price, it provides an endless piece of mind. I would highly recommend this product. They are available from Antigravity Batteries directly or from Amazon or other retailers. Great investment.

17. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I like the CTEK because in addition to recon, it has the pulse mode.

Your dealer can supply (or very kindly gift you) the mag-plug...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. smagee

smagee Rookie

Apr 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Magee
    CTEK makes a connector that attaches directly to the battery on an F-12 and you can thread it onto the battery cover so you just pop the hood to charge the battery. The connector plugs directly into the CTEK cord and stores easily when driving the car. Available for about $20 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #19 sunghyun7, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    has anyone added ctek magnetic charging adapter to the f12? would love to see the photo of the finished product. I was thinking of attaching the adapter to the vertical plastic piece right above the cabin air filter area so I can attach it without opening the hood.

20. joseph

joseph Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    italiafan and sunghyun7 like this.