V12 Distributor cap. | FerrariChat

V12 Distributor cap.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I have a chance to acquire a used distributor cap with twin (2) coil towers. Is it
    possible(or even necessary) to plug the off-center tower in order to use this cap. Thank you all so very much in advance. Jq.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It would be necessary to use it with the correct dual coil and dual contact rotor ignition system.

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Mr. Rifledriver..This cap and rotor appear to be identical to the ones that are presently on my car at this time. 1980 400i Ser. 1. Neither of the off-center towers are plugged or cut off like some that I have seen previously. The reason for the change-out is that one of the ignition wire recepticles has a chip out of its. side. It seems that the original Marelli caps are made of Bakalite or something like it. Reminds me of the telephones that I grew up with in Montana. The car also sports an MSD 6A box and Blaster coil, with
    taylor spiral wires. I just hate dig into the usually straight-forward job,because the location of the cap requires great loss of DNA.
    Thank you so very much for your thoughts on this matter. Jq.

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Been there, done that.
    My '84 has one coil wire input and the distributor uses a two story rotor.
    Those Taylor wires are the best! Keep them in place. So far the MSD box on my car is working fine.
    Greg

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've used dual tower caps on my 400s for years. I just leave the second tower empty.

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Will do...Thank all for your great and most informative responses. Gotta love this forum. Jq.

7. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Can someone post a picture of one of these dual tower caps and rotor?

I agree with jacques on leaving well enough alone if at all possible. It's a real b**ch to have to get in there and work on the distributor and cap. To replace my cap I had to remove the arm for the right side wiper and managed to loose one of the little spring clips and spring steel washer that goes with it!

8. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Me too!
    I now have a supply of those spring steel washers.
    They hurt when they bounce off your face.
    Greg