Using a Power Bleeder on 400's & 400i's | FerrariChat

Using a Power Bleeder on 400's & 400i's

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by blkprlz, Oct 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    All of the 400's & 400i's I've seen have the 2 cap or 3 cap version reservoir (1 black fill cap & either 1 or 2 white fluid sensor caps). The problem I've had in the past using a power bleeder (attached to the black fill cap location) is the reservoir won't hold the prescribed pressure, air leaks out under the cap where the sensor wire rubber plugs pass through. It only takes as little as 2-3 lbs./sq. in. for this to happen. :mad:
    So, with the existing reservoir, I need to have another person pumping & pumping while I bleed...kind of defeats the purpose. :(

I don't fill the the power bleeder with fluid because I figured that it would be a hassle cleaning out the bottle when I'm finished. I just use it to pressurize the already filled reservoir, refilling the reservoir periodically. My understanding is a pressure of 5-10 lbs. is what's recommended. I noticed the reservoirs on the 412's are completely different (actually all models between '85-'89, they're all the same). After reading some threads in the 512 section, I discovered that the blue sensor top is not removable...basically a sealed unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Testarossa-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Fluid-Reservoir-Bottle-/310463317801?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item48490e4729

Next question is will it fit on the existing master cylinder :confused: All the parts houses I called said that the reservoirs are not interchangeable. Then I saw a picture of a 400i (see below) with the newer version reservoir. It's pretty rare to find new ones that are original to our cars, not to mention pricy ($300.+ :eek:), but found the newer versions for $125. If it turns out that the 2 nipples on the bottom are a different spacing, then I'll look into replacing the master cylinder with the newer type.

I measured 85mm between the nipples (center to center), I'm at my Ohio home & don't have my 400i here to measure. Can anyone confirm the original reservoir nipple spacing to be the same or different??

Anybody else try the power bleeder on these older reservoirs? The new one will definitely do the trick! :)

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #2 blkprlz, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017