Used Race Cars 4 Sale Listing??? | FerrariChat

Used Race Cars 4 Sale Listing???

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by enjoythemusic, Nov 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Can't seem to find a listing of used race cars for sale online. Weird. Anyone got a link to large classsified section online? Am referring to normal track cars (under $20k, not rare $1M cars). Many thanks.

2. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
  3. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  4. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I believe ebay has a special section under motors dedicated to race cars.

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    google up all terms you can think of.
    try the same on yahoo.co.uk

look for links on motorsport.com

if you can, go to Border's or Barnes and Noble books and buy a british racing mag, there are tons of places in them.

6. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Steve -

What's up? Tracking the 308 not enough anymore? What class are you looking at? (Vintage Formula Ford looks like fun...)

Pen

7. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Oh, and besides racecar.com, look up road racing club web sites' classified sections, especially the club(s) that runs where you plan to run - you could find a car that has already been set up for your local tracks, connect to race prep shops, people in the club, etc.

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Well, am at a crossroads and agree spec vintage racing seems like a good way to go. So choices are to either beef up the 308 engine for more HP/TQ in the realm of 350HP/TQ+ or call it a day with the 308, use it as my daily beater (which i do anyway), and a get a used (probably 10+ year old) open wheel car. So far the VanD's seem in the lowish price range i am targeting.

My lovely wife really cares about me and sees the open wheel/cockpit and think that idea scares her. She really loves me, as i do her, and even though the open wheel car has a very safe cage and all it seems she likes me INSIDE a car.

An open wheel car is probably on par or faster than a tweaked to 350TQ 308, is lighter, cheaper to maintain (i hope), and allows for higher g-forces.

Guess it all boils down to which path i choose to go. Getting another (dedicated) track car also means there are options for various events/leagues. Have a feeling once the open wheel bug bites me the stock(ish) 308 will seem like a fat, overweight track relic. Without more power in the 308 i may as well just pull over to the side of the track and let the WRX and lightweight Miata guys pass me by :(

9. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Steve - I took the 308 "track car" I bought in late July to the track the first time this past weekend. The only mods it has are 16" wheels, fat anti-sway bars and about 200lbs of stuff removed from the car. I used 245/225 Yokohama street tires (ES100) that I could tell were, not surprisingly, not too great for the track (what tires do you use?).

Car handled great, engine is nice and strong. With the roll cage and helmet, I have very little room to move, due to my height (6'1"), so I wish the ergos were better. I added a 2" steering wheel spacer which helped a little (and allows me to actually see my tach!). I have heard of tall people doing floor pan mods to get the seat lower - sounds expensive!

While I was certainly not the slowest guy out there, it is indeed humbling when those damn well-driven Miatas crawl all over my ass! I think the main thing that made me slow was that I wasn't using my brakes hard enough, I was using the gas pedal to slow down instead of the brakes.

Because my car is a 1976 model, I can actually go vintage racing with it. In SCCA racing, the car would just get creamed in it's class unless heavily modified. So I may just do the vintage thing and see how I do, since I already have the car.

Part of me wishes that I never even bought the 308 and just went straight ahead and bought a real race car. I could have bought a Lotus 61 Formula Ford for $20K, and could have had a purpose-built race car and a Lotus at that!! And being a Lotus, it will alway increase in value. Or bought my first Porsche, as there are tons of 356, 912, 914 and 911 race cars out there for sale.

One downside to an open-wheeled car (besides your wife's concerns) is that usually you can't take them to non-racing track days.

Anyway, the reality is that ANYTHING will be a cheaper car to race due to the absurd and needless costs to maintain a Ferrari.

Anyway, even though it was stupid, I enjoyed flogging my 1970 365GT 2+2 out there on the track – it did suprisingly well despite its 4,000lbs and huge sidewall tires! Maybe I should just strip THAT car down to it's bones and turn THAT into a vintage racer/track car!!!!

Anyway, keep us posted!

Pen

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Man thanks and appreciate where you are coming from big time. Am doing 1:06 to 1:07 at Lime Rock in the Fcar here. Agree it is a blast and fun... and you are right it is probably time to stop dumping stupid money into the 308 for uprating and to maintain and get real.

Have an appt to look at a few VanD/Formula Ford cars tomorrow. Just to give guys here an idea, the car can easily do 0:53 laps, 0:51 obtainable with hot shoes and fresh rubber, with a decent driver at Lime Rock. Oh, and if you blow up an engine a complete rebuild by the top #1 USA rebuilder is only $4k versus $10k+ for a 308 by whomever you have rebuild the engine.

As for resale value, agree there too with the race Lotus versus the Fcar. What would my 308 get on the open market today? Maybe $30k on a good day IF the buyer was looking to track their car... if i am lucky? The 308 has major mods, lots of track use, over 71k miles, dings and dents...

11. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    You're on the right track (no pun intended!)

Any purpose-built race car will make any street car, even one stripped and race prepped, feel like a beached whale, even a Ferrari. Formula Ford is a good choice, and no more dangerous than a production racer IMO.

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

steve,

please consider a fia papered sports racer. a chevron or a lola t-212 (may be the best option) can be raced anywhere at any event. $75-125K, depending on log book and history.

they also race in the fia class where you will get to run w/ lola t-70's, mc larens, gt-40's and other ferrari and porsche sports racers...you know...the real legendary machines!!!

if you do go the open wheeled route, you should look into a late 70's ralt rt-1. super fast and super sounding! you will not spend more than $50k but will not have as many places to race it as the chevron or lola options...you decide.

Good luck!

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    WAY out of my price range :(

14. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Many thanks and will check them out :)

The good news is that i live less than 1 hour from the US importer of VanD and others. He is helping me and seems to be a good, honest guy.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Autoweek has race cars for sale classifieds.

16. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Many thanks, i have a few leads and really appreciate it guys. Your help is VERY MUCH appreciated. Frankly, wish i had listened to guys a year+ ago that a proper track car is the way to go. Well, at least i have a relaitvely sorted closed wheel vintage saloon car with spares as a backup.

17. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Steven:

If the open wheel aspect does not appeal to you or your wife, but you still want a true inexpensive race car, look at Sports 2000. Full bodywork, room for a passenger if you are good friends, a very good vintage group (VS2000), plentiful cars of good heritage - March, Swift, Tiga, Lola and a very good safety record.

18. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I would also recommend a sportsracer. They are just as fast as an open wheel car but you will save time and money by not breaking your suspension on every impact. Also avoiding the tire to tire collisions, and being shot into the air, has always appealed to me. They also provide more body for cool paint jobs and sponsors.

19. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    You guys beat me to it, S2000 is the better way to go. Faster, and none of the "wheel to wheel" problems of the open wheel types.

Chris

Sync Speed Inc.
    Racing Communications.
    610 659 1033

20. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thx guys, will look-see.

21. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    And I'll throw one more point to think about about that I already touched on a little: decide what type of club you want to be a part of before you buy a car.

The SCCA is the big national amateur road racing club, with chapters in cities big and small across the country – a huge community. NASA is also a race organization for contemporary cars, but I don't know if they're more of a Western U.S. thing. I have also found in So Cal several other clubs, some designed for "touring" car racing (coupes and 4-door production cars), and some brand-specific car clubs hold not just track days but organized racing programs (Porsche is the biggest on this, and out in L.A., the Alfa club actually has a race series!). Even though these clubs are intended for contemporary cars, you will see many older cars in certain classes. Some SCCA chapters even have "classic/vintage" classes. The one SCCA class you may be most interested in is "Club Ford", designed to be a place to run the outdated older Formula Fords (but not so old to be considered "vintage"). The great thing about this class of FF is that the cars are in the $7-10K range, whereas the average vintage FF is more in the $15-$20 range.

The other way to go is vintage racing. Do some research and find out the clubs that race in your area. HSR may be up there - they also have a great west coast chapter.

With as much track day experience as you have, all this may be old news to you and you may already be very familiar with the various racing clubs in your area.

For my tastes, vintage racing is the way to go just because I'm a huge fan of classic cars and just love to see all the cool eye candy. I think it would be very cool to be a part of it. Also, in my travels, the two main vintage clubs out in L.A. (VARA annd HSR West) just seemed to have a better vibe than the SCCA, but that's a subjective thing. The couple SCCA races I went to just seemed to have such a hodge-podge of cars (some new, some old and a lot of pretty used-up, in-between cars) – it just wasn't that interesting. In contrast, on any one of the vintage club race days you can see breathtakingly awesome sports racers and immaculately prepared production cars. (and some great beaters with fascinating stories!).

I'm just saying that you may want to let the club itself – since that will be such a huge part of your racing experience (your "home") –*dictate what kind of car you buy, as oppsed to getting a VD just because it's convenient. Decide where you want to be and what kind of experience you want to have and then choose the best car to fit those needs and wants. Just a suggestion!

And, yeah, having a track-prepped Ferrari is not a bad "spare" by anybody's measure!!!

Oh, and what tires are you running on the 308!!

Pen

22. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Formula Mazda would be a good way to go open wheel racing without spending a fortune.

And the cars are quick- one holds the local track's record lap. A 333SP is second place.

Find a class that has a number of participants since racing the clock gets boring after awhile.

23. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sadly, it seems S2000 are way out of my price range. They seem to be $30k+ :( If you guys can find something at about 1/2 that price... cuz i can not seem to :(

SCCA pretty much is the only game in the area for wheel to wheel around here. Also run in a club called COMSCC that will let me run her is time trials. Plan to use 2007 for getting to know the car, then at end of 2007 have engine and tranny gone over so that in 2008 will do SCCA. There are alsom open track days at NHIS, LRP, and i think WGI as well where i can arrive and drive to learn what to tune the car for that track.

As for 308 tires, using Mich Pilot PS2 as daily beater and track rain (Blizzak WS-50 for deep snow and ice). PS2s do amazing well for rain track tires, even at slick Lime Rock Park! For dry i went with Mich Pilot Cup due to trying to keep running costs down as they handle the damp well and Hoosiers can get $$$ due to fast wear. Of note is that my car seems to be very kind on tires, though perhaps part of that is due to the very much modified suspension. After about 20 track days the Pilot Cups still look great, though have heard the Cups 'wear like iron' and they do have a ?180? or so wear rating versus Hoosier 80 or so.

Will probably go with Hoosiers for 2007 and sell the Cups or ??? as i love the PS2 for track rain and have run the car on track in some HEAVY downpours when virtually no one else was willing to be on track. For me, driving in wet/snow condition is a great control clinic and enjoy learning where a lack of smoothness in driving needs to be worked upon. If you ever get a chance to try your hand at Lime Rock Park in the pouring rain...

24. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed, am getting bored with just 'doing laps' against a clock and tuning to make things faster. At various events in 2006 it it obvious when seeing a car ahead of me my driving gets more focussed/tuned/precise so that i can catch/pass them. The data acquisition+video has proven this many times as i have been data crunching a lot recently. It appears to makes sense to move on from gentleman laps to something a bit more interactive.