US Spec. 599 GTO Marketplace | Page 9 | FerrariChat

US Spec. 599 GTO Marketplace

Discussion in '612/599' started by tortesq1, Sep 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    "And I do find the 599 GTO to be an amazing brutal car" - that's really the bottom line !

2. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys

Due to lack of garage space, I passed on the GTO back in 2011 and paid dearly for a 200 mile GTO last year once I finished building my house. I also passed on a 92' 512 TR with 6000 miles 3 years ago for 125k and just last year paid almost 4 times that for a 2700 miles 94'. Did I overpay? I think I set the records in the US on these 2 cars. But I'm not sure i regret the purchases because these were the exact specs I was looking for and they were barely driven and if I waited for the next economic downturn i may not find cars with these criteria again. I plan to keep these cars for 20-30 years so it doesn't really matter if the price drops

On the other hand, I have a TDF coming at MSRP. Most dealers would say that since you are/will profit from the appreciation of the TDF, it is justifiable to require you to buy a few less desirable cars such as the FF. But if my plans is the keep the TDF forever it doesn't really matter if they are trading at 2-3 time msrp

A LaF just auctioned at 4.7m. The buyer must really like the specs. I do wish we can get rid of the speculators that are driving up the price, but the key is we are owners of these incredible machines and let's enjoy them while we can.

3. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    If I recall correctly the base price for the TDF is around 585k. And if you visit taylormade, unless you have incredible self control you will exceed 700k in 10 min.

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    COMPLETELY agree....though I also enjoy my 206bhp Fiat Abarth "Urban Assault Vehicle" among others. These are cars - some primarily for transport, some just for fun.

I agree. I have a very nice/original 355GTB, if nothing else the combination of the endless mania around "355's, gated 6 speeds and naturally aspirated V8" has sort of made me less comfortable about driving something that I should be "curating and conserving". But I'm over it now...

Last year at Gooding my wife sat next to a guy who was the winning bidder on a car; everyone was convinced he WAY overpaid for the car (in factual terms, he did) but he wanted THAT car for personal reasons, and said he would have paid twice as much if that's what it took....

As a business guy and car nut, I find the market interesting to watch, though the "market threads" here tend to shift quickly from fact and analysis into opinions and defensiveness - (which shows passion if nothing else).

Believe me, I'm an FF buyer twice over, I cannot defend the resale values (facts) but we absolutely love the car and think it's among the best we've owned.

5. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The base price for the TDF is $485,000.

6. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Even better

7. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Yes that's my GTO. I put her up for sale at Ferrari of Long Island (where I purchased her) right after it won Best in Show Ferrari (and Best V12) at the Old Westbury NY FCA Concours/Great Marques 2 weeks ago. It got to the point where I just wasn't driving her anymore as it has became literally crazy anytime I'd take her out on public roads and I fear damaging her. I drove the 458 everyday for 2 years with no issue or care, but the GTO is a completely different level of beast and show. Even driving her to the dealership for sale caused traffic to stop with people taking pictures. Best car and far and away the most challenging car I've ever owned. I will be sad to see her go. If anybody is interested in her please contact Gianni Mercuri at Ferrari of Long Island.

8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Stephen without his GTO will be like the Ravens leaving the Tower of London! Nothing will be same again.

9. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1 I would have never thought you would sell her. You are the biggest advocate for the 599GTO! Very surprising, but GLWS. Any idea if you will replace it with a new car?

10. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I LOVE the GTO but this year it became a magnificent looking beast of a paperweight in my garage. I thought about ordering a new 488 Spider or a used 458 SA, either of which would be no problem driving frequently. That being said, my real desire was a TDF, but alas I did not receive an allocation. I think I will be very hard pressed to match the intensity and furor of the GTO with any other car short of a TDF.

11. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Its all good Camlet. Life will go on :)

12. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    :)........nothing is forever. But you my friend, if you ever come to the UK, can have a play anytime. Have a good year.

13. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Thank you !

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Sorry to hear, and good luck with the sale. You were among the most....passionate (?) promoters and defenders of the 599GTO platform out there. (though we can still debate the "GTO" piece ha ha).

The car is astonishing and will always be "one of the best".

However, if you are really avoiding driving it due to concerns, and don't want it as expensive garage art, letting it go is probably a good thing.

As I shared in other threads, the TDF may be more advanced, but it's a few notches more brutal than the GTO - same breed, just more so. And if you think your GTO creates a stir, try driving a TDF in Triple Yellow! I have really good insurance so not so worried about a catastrophic event, have not had a negative carparazzi episode (though my wife gets chased a lot by kids), so we're loving the TDF so far. IF you had these concerns over the GTO, I'd imagine they would be amplified in the TDF.

It will be interesting to see how the GTO market evolves; the TDF market is still in its early "unconstrained insanity" period, but it will settle. In the meantime, driving it is simply amazing.

Please keep us posted

15. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Entropy,

I very much miss my GTO already and my 911TTS does NOT come close to filling the void. It is extremely difficult to let go of something, although inanimate, that you do feel true passion and emotional about it. Sounds like the TDF, like the GTO, is pure joy and exhilaration and you are blessed to have received an allocation. At MSRP (even if heavily optioned) its a bargain considering the insane aftermarket prices ($600K+ premium to MSRP IMHO is insane). I certainly would have tried to drive the TDF on the street regularly, but I can't imagine I'd ever feel as comfortable with my GTO (or a TDF worth $1.2M-$1.4M) as a daily driver as I did with my 13 458 Italia (which I specced from the factory but sold). I might just be better off getting a CPO 458 (possibly even a spider) as a companion to my 911TTS.

Although its a highly subjective perception, how do you find the soundtrack of the TDF compared to the GTO ? I find it incredulous that any car would have a much better NA soundtrack than the GTO (which I believe is superior to the "regular" F12 soundtrack). That being said, with TDF's hitting that $1.2M-$1.4M price range (insanity if you ask me) seems to me that the GTO is truly the bargain of the Century right now. It sure as heck would be wonderful to have both in the garage !

16. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Damn, now that you put it that way, I suddenly might be nervous about driving it.

FWIW, I am sure there is a flipping market out there but I am not sure it's 2X MSRP and have yet to hear of a verified re-sale....

As for the car, the sound is AWESOME. Very different than the F12, and different (from what I recall) from the GTO. Perhaps a poor example, but it's like the 430=>458 evolution, but much sharper. (said otherwise, the 458=>Speciale to me was a minor sound change). The GTO sounds guttural, the TDF a bit higher strung, but simply awesome. I would anticipate that some of it is the new inlet system, a lot in the exhaust. Put otherwise, yes, the sound is different but amazing. GTO vs. TDF, I'd say the engine revs more freely - that's a qualitative not quantitative judgment. The soundtrack also changes from bottom 1/3 of revs, through mid-range, at the top it's maniacal. FF and F12 sounded like turbines, TDF is literally ripping canvas

17. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Funny thing is that many of your characterizations I'd apply specifically to the GTO; from manic on the top end to HP on the GTO being geared higher up on the rev range (at least compared to a 599 GTB). IMHO the GTO always sounded better than the F12 but thats just me. I also think that the GTO is THE most challenging driver I've ever owned or driven, although I've yet to have any seat time in a TDF. That being said, time stands still for nobody and the technological advancements of the TDF (like RWS and active aero) are impressive and cutting edge. Enjoy your TDF !

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have you sold it or is it still up for sale?

You really have such a passion for the car and- as with everything in life there are downsides. I don't know you but I've enjoyed your posts and it seems to me you can always put it up for sale but if it sells then its gone and yours in particular is a very unique (in a good way) GTO. It just sounds like you would miss it. Can you tell I am speaking from experience? Whatever you do I wish you only success!

19. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    My GTO is for sale at F of LI and she has not sold yet (I consigned it approx. 2 weeks ago). If I used her 50X per year (even an average of 1x per week) it would make sense to keep her. This year I don't think I drove her more than a handful of times (maybe 7-8 times in total including the Old Westbury NY FCA/Great Marques show (where she won Best in Show F car - she IS a very good looking beast :) and dropping her off at the dealer for sale). Whereas I drove the 458 Italia daily and never thought about mileage, never had to park her a 1/4 mile away from the World, never had to be careful of the truly crazy auto paparazzi chasing down a GTO F car, never worried about damaging the car, etc. Maybe nobody will want to buy my GTO and I'll be "stuck" with her. There are worse things in life !

20. Lottacars

Lottacars Rookie

Nov 29, 2007
    Hinsdale, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Gary Kachadurian
    Hi. I am a bit new to this link but enjoy all of your comments. Really terrific. Q: Does anyone think it is strange that there are 11 GTOs for sale on DuPont when only 125 were delivered to the US? Seems like a very big ratio of selling to delivered. Also I am looking for a good black GTO. Does anyone know of one? How many were delivered in black? And would you think there is a problem buying a black vs red? Appreciated.

21. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    tortesq1 (a member here) is selling his Black on Black GTO. He is very passionate about 599 GTO's and I'm sure its a very solid car.

2011 Ferrari 599 GTO For Sale $745,900 - 1520467

This is a very rare black on the GTO. Nero Setoso I believe.

IMHO I think that there was a very large spike in GTO prices which happened very quickly in the last year or two. Now they have mellowed out a bit, but all the cars that are advertised are still up in LALA land. I think the real money for a average mile GTO is probably low to mid 7's. I haven't seen many black US spec GTO's for sale although there are two available as we speak. Black will always have a very good resale value if that is what you are concerned about. I think in general all colors on the GTO will have good resale value purely because its a GTO.

22. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Thanks for the praise. My GTO is for sale at F of LI and is in mint condition having just won Best in Show F car at recent FCA/Great Marques Concours in Old Westbury, NY. Not just black on black but nero setoso (and believed to be only nero setoso US spec GTO).

23. Lottacars

Lottacars Rookie

Nov 29, 2007
    Hinsdale, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Gary Kachadurian
    That is a spectacular car. I have heard there is a black w stripe in Illinois. What is nero setoso vs black?

24. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Nero setoso is a multi-layer paint with gold flecks in it. Actually appears different in sunlight vs. shade and must be seen in person to appreciate. Definitely a unique color and photos do not do it justice. While I'm biased, I can unequivocally state that everybody that sees nero setoso in person loves it.