US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation... | Page 202 | FerrariChat

US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Jul 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Now that Austin is on the official FIA calendar, will the race really happen?

1. Yes, it will happen.

2. No, no way for construction to finish.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks! TBH, I prefer these kind of "crowd" shots to ones thru the fencing - Sutton Images et al capture the cars, I want to see the "atmosphere".

Anyway, the first shot in post 5024 highlights why some folk complained about the time to get over the track - You cannot have *any* openings on those bridges or the steps as folk *will* stop and watch/shoot. And the bridge gets narrower. And the crowd backs up.

I'm sure they'll be closed next year.

Cheers,
    Ian

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Greg I am so happy for you and somewhat sad simultaneously! Overall you were at the big show and thats all that matters. Thanks for the great pics of the track and the crowd.
    Completely agree with Ian about the photos and showing atmosphere vs the normal cars and paddock stuff!
    I hope you are sending more reports next year!! Many thanks to Hookem for handling the logistics of the tickets for eventual delivery. You look like you were having a good time. Nice report.

The next time I hit a race I will try to bring out more atmosphere as well. Big Tex looked happy!

3. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Only weird sensation was when the P48, two P51's an the F15 flew over and set off an oscillation. But it was only slight but did instantly remind me of that famous video we all saw in physics class of the Takoma Bridge collapse.

4. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Naaah, they are all being good sports. They don't have to eat it raw.

5. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    I was in T12 and felt it more than once. Section 3, row 28 to be exact. When the planes when overhead calling it "slight" is a gross understatement. Everyone in the area around me all sort of gasped, checked their balance, and then looked at one another. That was the worst of it for sure.
    Then in the opening laps as the cars went by again everybody would stand up and you could feel "something" a little odd.

I'm not acrophobe by any stretch and it had me a little taken aback.

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Hi fellas....I tryly enjoyed the event also. I would like to watch the race as captured by the TV cameras, but my old brain forgot to set up the DRV, with all the excitement of the trip to Austin, so I don't have it. Other a DVR recording I can't find any way of watching the race. YouTube doesn't seem to have anything yet. Any sugestions? thanks.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Big Tex looked TIRED!!

He always looks happy....LOL!

That's a picture of the Broken Spoke, I took there to hang in "my room" upstairs. It was actually built for me by my friend, recently killed in a crash.....the new wife LOVED it so much, (without knowing the back story) that she took it from 'upstairs" and hung it prominently in the Main Dining Room!

I told her the story last weekend, reviewing each of the details, Estate Sale "found frame", the common burlap backing, even the cardboard in it is recycled and wrinkled (unseen)....it actually fell apart, and I took it, added some matting and staple gunned the ^%$^%& out of it, but deep inside (or on the back, I don't remember) is the hand written message from my dear friend, Larry Joe Miggins.

She lost a long time friend this year, too, and got all emotional when she finally understood....but there it hangs!!

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Autoweek summed it up best, IMO...it was a "wading pool filled with gasoline" the whole time, rampant egos that were very dangerous in combination..

Let's beat the swords into plowshares and there's room for everyone ELSE next year, hell, the parties didn't even reach south of the River much this year, actually.....

But as I knew, there are tons of Private ones, that you know....'those people" throw...

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You know, I had a hunch that some modes might beat the "travel time" of the choppers.

You walked right past me at Gate 1...... the blades were blowing my info brochures all off the table at the Guest Services tent...

The Salt Lick was in that main concession there, at gate 1, but agree they need to get someof the great SOUTH Austin places involved......

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #5035 texasmr2, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    David I could not be happier and even our host were sursprised at my calm demeanor but what else could I do, we are all getting the ticket holders that hang around your neck next time. Yes Ian hit the nail on the head because it was my intent to capture more of the general atmosphere than just ontrack and car pics and I do have more I am going to add. Ian there are still several uncompleted bridges but everyone took it in stride so it was really not that bad.

The real troopers of the weekend were BigTex and Miss Valery as they were up every morning at 5-5:30am because they were volunteers and they did not miss a beat. Considering the amount of eating and drinking we did once back at the house we all survived with barely 5hrs sleep each night.

Lets see if I can add a few more pics without reposting lol!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We had to be out near the Track, at Shuttle Pick Up at 5:30AM, to board at 6:00 FOR SURE.

So the alarm clock actually went off at 4:00AM to get up and dressed.....that was a little rough the first night after closing down the Broken Spoke and running people home...I even had to run to the ATM.

But, we'll sleep when we're dead!

The first day was to pick up all our gear, after that, our Crew Leader was cool and we just met at Gate 1, wasting no time at the EC Lot.

We were definitely the first thing they saw coming in Gate 1.
    "Hello, and WELCOME to the Circuit of the Americas!!!" :D :D :D

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Well, IMHO the race did happen no matter what all you nay sayers said.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    This info is for those planning on attending next years race. If you have allergies make damn sure you are prepared!! I have never had them my entire life but the the wind and location of the track makes it a huge dust/pollen bowl. Tuesday I started feeling alittle under the weather and by wendsday morning was coughing along with having a huge sinus headache. I laid in bed both days and did not even eat on Thanksgiving but I located three antibiotic pills and took them.

This morning I am feeling quite abit better but I am still congested in my chest and sinus's.

Just friendly food for thought.

Gregg

ps, Oh and DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT forget sunblock. I had blisters on my forehead and on my nose and those bled. I'm still peeling.

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Your sport appreciates your sacrifice.
    ;)

Glad to hear you're on the road back.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It was the least I could do for F1 and I just considered it patina.

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And may you never be (over) restored.

;)

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #5042 WJHMH, Nov 23, 2012
    Yeah, I remember that night all too well, good times. Thanks again for the beer, Lee ann & I had a lot of fun.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tex "in the wild"....LOL!

Thx for that one....

19. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #5044 greg 19425, Nov 26, 2012
    Got a chance to get my picture taken with Big Tex during the race. Nice guy. Had a great time at the race. Will go again next year.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice pic!!!

21. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
  22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  23. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    In Texas, one simply does not tuck one's pants inside one's boots... :) The tops are only visible if one's pant legs are raised or if one is seated while wearing pants or jeans that are too short.

These days, it's a challenge to even find boots that don't have uppers ostentatious and downright ugly colors of stitching and stitching patterns.

In Texas, it's a foregone conclusion that an owner, or player, or financial backer of a championship sports team to have silly looking boots made. And 2150 dollars sounds too cheap, that has to be Euros.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Well that makes it worse.
    When I'm wearing boots and no pants I don't want any (more) laughing.
    ;)

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This is intriguing.

http://www.kxan.com//dpp/news/local/austin/kxan-comptroller-issues-payment-for-f1-race

VideoPhoto
    F1-related reimbursements
    CoTA and Formula 1
    F1 numbers show economic boon and bust
    Hotels in the Austin area were the big winners according to the…
    Austin not affected by F1 lineup change
    The governing body of Formula One racing on Wednesday tweaked …
    Disabled fans faced F1 shuttle trouble
    Circuit of The Americas said about a quarter of its 500 …
    2013 F1 race same weekend as UT-OSU
    College football's Big 12 Conference announced that the …
    More Stories »
    Advertisement
    Combs issues $29 million payment for F1 race
    Study suggests economic impact forecast too rosy

Updated: Tuesday, 11 Dec 2012, 8:09 PM CST
    Published : Tuesday, 11 Dec 2012, 5:59 PM CST

Brian Sanders
    AUSTIN (KXAN) - Texas Comptroller Susan Combs has issued $29.3 million from the state's Major Event Trust Fund for the Formula One race in Austin.

The payment was made on Friday to Circuit Events Local Organizing Committee , or CELOC, as reimbursement for expenses of bringing the U.S. Grand Prix to Texas. The state of Texas was responsible for $25.3 million, and the city of Austin matched $4 million.

The complete distribution of funds.
    Combs committed to that amount on Aug.12 based on economic impact projections made during CELOC's application process. Don Hoyte of TexasEconomicImpact.com presented the estimate numbers.

However, new indicators suggest the projections may have been exaggerated. F1's finance arm, FormulaMoney, published a report comparing the Austin estimates to the U.S. Grand Prix in Indianapolis from 2000 through 2007.

The report showed that Austin's numbers were ambitious compared to the Indianapolis actuals in every category, which included airfare, hotels, food & beverage, rental car and related enterprises.

In addition, a report by Smith Travel Research showed Austin metro hotel revenue from Formula One week. During a five-day stretch (Nov. 14-18, 2012) leading up to the F1 race, hotel revenue was $32.7 million. That's about 3 times the revenue from the same stretch the previous year (Nov. 16-20, 2011), when hotels brought in $10.4 million.

The Texas Major Event Trust Fund is based on incremental tax gain from an event, which would be taxes from about $22.3 million for hotels in this case. The same measurements are taken for categories like shopping & entertainment, rental cars, and mixed beverages.

Some Austin businesses did not see the same incremental gain.

"It just was not happening," said Gina McClelland of Guero's Taco Bar. "Our business went down, kind of significantly."

The $22.3 million incremental hotel revenue is on par with the Indianapolis average of $22.7, but TexasEconomicImpact.com estimated the incremental gain to be $49.8 million.

"I think in promoting the event, and also promoting the event to produce the yield out of the Major Event Trust Fund, they just hyped [economic projections] into a zone of unreality," said Richard Viktorin, a CPA for Audits in the Public Interest. "And, that's where the dashed expectations have now come from."

The Comptroller's Office says they will conduct a post-race study within 18 months of the 2012 U.S. Grand Prix as part of the Major Event Trust Fund statute. They will use the findings to more accurately release funds in future Formula One events.

Opinions that are derogatory, attack other users or are offensive in nature may be removed. KXAN is not responsible for the content posted in this comment section. We reserve the right to remove any offensive or off-topic remark or thread. To mark a comment for review by a moderator, click "Report Abuse."