urgent: revolving the engine | FerrariChat

urgent: revolving the engine

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by moserpe, Jun 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    For the adjustment of the ignition and the valve timing i need to bring the crankshaft to the correct position. Anyone happens to know the mm- size of the hex screw at the front end of the crankshaft (deep inside the v-belt pullley)?

Peter

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Peter

I don't suppose that your car is a 5 speed, is it? If so, you can jack up the rear and turn a wheel with the car in gear to rotate the engine.

John

3. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Dear John,

If it was manual, i would not be after a socket to turn the engine!. You are right, it is automatic.

Peter

4. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    As you will need to align the crank position according to the timing marls on th flywheel under the car the easiest way to do this is to turn the engine using a long flat bladed screwdriver on the starter ring gear on the flywheel. You can lever this against the bell housing through the little inspection hole under the car. Sounds brutal but works well. Just make sure you only turn the engine in the correct direction - which is clockwise looking at the engine from the front of the car - and don't get disorientated by being upside down under the car.

5. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Thank you Simon.

I will follow your suggestion. This saves some CH francs for the socket and I'm sure that the correct position can be set more pecisely this way. I was simply a bit scared to treat the gear wheel that way but I know that you are very experienced.

Regards

Peter

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The socket you need is 36mm. You will likely need to machine down the outside diameter to fit inside the pulley and possibly the length as well.

Why not affix a "remote starter" switch to the solenoid (push button with long leads and alligator clips) and just jog it with the starter?