URGENT !! Is a 400 carb alternator the same as a 365GT4 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

URGENT !! Is a 400 carb alternator the same as a 365GT4 ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Aug 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #26 rustytractor, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fitted rebuilt alternator - charges perfectly and car starts on the button now.

Checked all levels before setting off for 150 mile trip home and the car ran fantastically - plenty of power, no funny noises all was good in the world ...... and then I hit traffic !

Temp needle started to climb (the fans are kicking in) so I thought it wise to pull over and check. Water was coming out from the expansion tank in the nose which is a bit crunchy and stained with brown water so has obviously had issues before plus the rubber seal inside the rad cap which fits to the rad filler neck is not exactly perfect but was being drawn off of the cap into the filler neck - looks like a suction effect was taking place. Looks like I'll be stripping the expansion tank and rad etc out for overhaul sooner rather than later.

Other than the above and pulling to the right under braking it drove superbly. Very powerful - and responsive in all fears - was doing 120mph before I noticed which is both really good fun but really bad for my licence.

I always have problems posting multiple pix from my iPhone so here's one (or more of it works this time) - will upload more from my pc tomorrow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Russell

Glad you got it home, sounds like a few teething troubles but nothing too bad. Looks gorgeous too!

Aidan

3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #28 rustytractor, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Took these just as the light was fading. I'm going away Tuesday for 2 weeks (sunning my fat arse in Spain - Hurrah !!) so won't be doing anything with the car till I get back but if I get a chance will take some better pix over the weekend.

The "star" crack is on the bonnet (or hood to you yanks) is where the previous owner shut it while the battery was resting on the inner wing, the other paint close-up photo is harder to understand but is the front edge of the drivers door where the paint has cracked - looks like something was between the door and wing when it was shut. Shame but other than a few minor paint chips the body and paint are practically perfect.

One odd thing is that the car has an electric sunroof - coincidentally so does my 400 which is a bit odd seeing as I've only personally seen one other with a metal sunroof fitted.

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Interior needs a good clean, everything major works ok except the passenger side blower motor and I'm not sure if the heater vent direction levers are working.

The hazard warning lights only work on the passenger side - typical F-car electrical glitch which shouldn't be too hard to sort out as all the indicators work fine.

Choke is disconnected which is ok as wouldn't use it anyway.

Minor bits and bobs missing (for example one of the manual headlamp retractor knobs) so the hunt for parts will be on soon !

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russell,

Nicely done. The car looks excellent and very well preserved all things considered. All the best to you and enjoy it in excellent health!

Cheers,

Sam

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks Sam, if I'm as fortunate with this car as I've been with the 400 I'll be one very lucky guy. The 400 was the exception to the "there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari" rule - this one will probably reverse that trend but you role the dice and can never be 100% sure whether big or small numbers land face up

7. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Looks tidy and a great color combo. Good luck with it!