Upgraded electronics for a boat - why so expensive? | FerrariChat

Upgraded electronics for a boat - why so expensive?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by roma1280, Jul 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Ok so I am reaching the dreaded time in a boat's life (about 8 years old) where the electronics are starting to malfunction, one of the panels isn't getting a GPS fix, those panels are no longer supported etc etc and so the upgrade quotes are coming my way.

It's seems Garmin is liked by many (any other suggestions?) and what I don't understand is that a decent sized screen like the Garmin GPSMAP 8624 which is a 24" screen costs $12,000!

Hold on, this is a 24 inch screen (top of the line dell monitor $215), software (about $50 for boating USA navionics for ipad), presumably a GPS locator (assuming a few hundred) plus a few wires. I have one thing to say about the price - WTF!!!

Can anyone shed some light on what I am missing?

2. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They come down when you get to a more normal size like 12". You're in the $4K range. Still, that's a ton for what you get too. They have lousy economies of scale. They are waterproof and the screens are readable in bright sun. Also, fairly high level of integration. That shouldn't equal the prices but there has not been anyone drive the price down.

When I'm in a jam on the water or I'm doing planning, I almost always use an iPad with Garmin charts.

IF you've got Raymarine now there is a small battery in the GPS antenna most don't know about. You can lose a signal from that.

I've got 3 12's screens on my boat and need to upgrade. Yuck.

3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Thank you, makes sense and thank you for the tip on the battery, I will check that.
    Again not to be a stickler, but if the functionalitly is the same betwent he 12 inch and the 24 inch, the cost difference should just be the additional cost of the monitor, which again for a high resolution dell monitor is about $100! This stuff drives me crazy.

4. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    My brother works for a large national boat supply retailer and he gets great employee discounts on nearly anything in the store (especially the house brand stuff), online or catalogue. However, when it comes to electronics his discount is nearly nonexistent for some reason. Electronics seems to just be expensive. If this makes you feel better many European and South American people come in and load up because the boat electronics outside the US are even more expensive. I can ask him if there is a time of the year when they can discount the stuff more or get factory incentives.

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    There just isn't the demand compared to household electronics. A 24" screen is huge on most boats. But anything that seems to involve marine electronics is always more money. Screens, radar, audio, trolling motors. They are always big money.
    I'd shop around, check some of the hosting sites and see what you can find. But it's going to cost no matter what.

6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #6 BoulderFCar, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This thread is coming back to haunt me. I'm doing the final configurations for an electronics refresh. It is indeed shocking what this stuff costs. It's not just the displays it's the seemingly endless $300 boxes and $60 cables. Anxious to get it done. I lost my radar this week which I use all the time. Lots of holes to fill in this dash.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #7 BoulderFCar, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie