Updated classified section rules - effective 1/1/2019 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Updated classified section rules - effective 1/1/2019

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by ylshih, Jan 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good evening and thank you all for your input

Steve

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #153 ylshih, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    We tried the strictly moderated route and got a ridiculous amount of flack for that and just don't want to deal with it any more.

As it stands, there are users, I won't even call them buyers because there's often little evidence they actually are interested in buying, who think they're entitled to piss on anyone's ad just because they looked at an ad a few years ago, saw an offbeat price for a salvage car recently, or got turned down by a seller when making a lowball offer. Then there are the sellers who generally hate it when anyone says anything the least negative, whether it's service history, purchase history, title history, market price perception actually relevant to the car or not, or anything else. Then there are buyers who are suspicious of one-sided moderation that favors the seller. It seems impossible to satisfy the variety of user segments simultaneously and this is why we backed out of it.

Given the history of this issue and the limitations of the forum software, where we are at is that users need to express their discontent with "inappropriate" comments by addressing the "offending" user and not expect that moderation will take any action. OK, let's say a user says they'd rather buy a C8 when a 360 is being listed for sale, well then a moderator might have a little fun ;). But otherwise, so long as users address the comment and not the user, it is all fair game. We call this "peer moderation" or feedback and consider it generally appropriate.

Yes, that means that some ads are going to have a higher volume of user commentary that may cause some buyers to have second thoughts. But it also means that sellers who really understand the market can make those posting ignorant comments look like twits or fools, or buyers who really understand the market won't let ignorant comments deter them because they know value when they see it.

Robb and BOKE like this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I appreciate what all the mods do. And I can understand the herding of cats and a somewhat impossible ask for both sides.

My suggestion still stands to just let ads be a single post by a seller and break it down by model. Then let the buyer answer many or few questions by pm or email based on how thorough or crappy their ads are. The peanut gallery can discuss in the model threads with any drama or dislikes or wishes to drive the market up or down there.

But if Ferrarichat is trying to encourage subscriptions from those that need to sign up to sell a car or several, I don’t think this helps the revenue side of the F-chat business model.

Robb

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #155 ylshih, Sep 7, 2019
    I would propose that any seller who wants to do this can "report" their new ad once posted and ask that the mods close the ad to further replies. They can add text to their ad that explains this is a closed ad and that buyers can contact them by PM for details not addressed in their first post. Sellers who want to go this way should really carefully think through their first post, just as they would with a print ad, so that they minimize followup queries nor expect fulfillment of any followup mod action requests (we're not going to keep editing the original post nor enable adding explanatory posts absent a good reason).

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #156 ylshih, Sep 7, 2019
    I've edited Post #1, commentary rules, to include this new proposal:

Any seller may choose to close their ad to any questions or commentary at the time of initial posting or subsequently and require that users contact them through "conversations" for further details. Use the report function to request that a moderator close the ad. Moderators will not generally make edits or additions to closed ads or delete any posts made prior to a request for closure. (Revised, see Post #155)

I've also added a post to the Advert Posting Guidelines thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146799990/

E60 M5, NeuroBeaker, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  7. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    sorry if this has been answered I did look through many of the pages.

As a silver sub , I have a car for sale for about a month now in the other car section. I plan on listing my Ferrari soon in the Ferrari section. Since the ad would be in a different section, would that be acceptable relative to the 1 car ad per year rule?

Thx

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    No, it's 1 car per year without regard to which section your listings are placed. You should upgrade to Rossa to get 3 car ads per year. However, if you wait till 2020 to post your new ad, then the counter resets and you can have a 2019 car ad and 2020 car ad active at the same time.

9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I upgraded.

Thanks for the quick reply.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    So a Rossa could list 3 cars on 12/31 and 3 more on 1/1 and have 6 ads running at one time?

11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Yes, that's correct.

12. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Why are some thread titles shown in red BOLDFACE text and others, like mine, are shown in black regular text?

13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  14. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Don't understand. There is only one post and it is mine.

15. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Dude, you read the post and it turned black. Watch this magic. Hold my beer.

16. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    As I see it in classified, the title is black text as shown in your example. Are you saying it will turn red BOLDFACE when I get replies?

Thanks much.

17. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Bingo, Kim!!! Red indicates new posts.

Check it again.:rolleyes:

18. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Thanks BOKE. I think I got it.

Cheers

BOKE likes this.
  19. dbluestein

dbluestein Rookie

May 30, 2005
    Plymouth, MA
    Full Name:
    David Bluestein
    I’ve got to say it really hurts the FChat community to not allow a seller to post multiple parts for sale in one ad. There was a post for several 355 parts for sale (in the same ad), most of which have been impossible for me to source but the classified ad is no longer there due to the “storefront” rules. Is it reasonable to expect a seller to individually post each of their offerings when they are all of similar type? I know if I personally had a box full of old F parts lying around I’d post a quick ad for all of them but never spend the time and effort to individually post them but that’s just me I suppose. Food for thought as I continue to scour the World Wide Web for that one thing I can’t seem to find.....

Shurik355, Q_res and Texas Forever like this.
  20. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

How do we search within a sub-forum with this new layout?

Like if I want to find a "california" for sale within this forum?

21. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Umm....Search>More>keywords+forum specific.

22. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

All I want to know is:

Why is "Dave rocks" a banned user?

23. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I searched, I spent time looking... cannot figure out how to switch my tag from "for sale" to "sold"- can anyone point me in the right direction?

24. Former Aston owner

Apr 20, 2020
    CA, SC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin W.
  25. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Click "Report" on one of your posts on your for sale thread. Then ask a moderator to mark the thread as sold and closed for further comment. They will take care of it for you.

arachnyd likes this.