Unusual Engine Revving | FerrariChat

Unusual Engine Revving

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by arkferrari, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Recently after short drives, upon putting my 456M GTA in park, the engine revved to 2200 rpm several times for 5-8 seconds returning to idle rpm of 900 between spurts. I shifted to DRIVE and everything was fine. This has happened on three separate occasions. No warning lights. No codes. Idle air control valve, vacuum leak, ?

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

My money would be on the intake manifold gaskets leaking. Do you know if they've ever been changed?

3. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Both have been changed within past 2 years when valve guides were replaced.

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

When you say both, do you mean both sides, or both the plenum and the manifold gaskets (4 total)? If not the gaskets, then certainly the IACV's would be the next culprits.

And when you say the engine revved to 2200, did it initially go to 900 when you put it in Park, then it revved to 2200? Or did it rev to 2200 as soon as you put it in Park?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Would a leaky gasket cause an intermittent problem? Wouldn't it be there all the time?

arkferrari likes this.
  6. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Placed car in PARK, then within a few seconds the revving to 2200 began

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That's why I was curious if the revving began as soon as he shifted into park. If the gasket was leaking, the additional load of it being in Drive would help the IACV's to regulate the RPM, but as soon as he shifts into Park, that load is removed, so the engine would rev momentarily, until the IACV's could bring it back down.

Maybe a sluggish or sticking IACV? Will turning your A/C on/off cause it to do this?

Qavion likes this.