Ultimate hoon car you would like to make ? | FerrariChat

Ultimate hoon car you would like to make ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PSk, Jul 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well mine would be this:

A Simca 1000 saloon (or coupe, or though coupes are rare and collectible) with the original engine replaced with a 3.0ltr v6 Alfa Romeo engine with twin turbos, driving through a Porsche 930 gearbox. Engine would be in the back like the original and have atleast 600 hp.

I had one of these little Simcas when I was 16 and it was a hoot ... sideways everywhere ... and with a sweet sounding Alfa v6 and big hp it would be a fncken scary blast to drive!!!! :D

Oh, yeah add some big brakes too ;)

So bring em' on ... what wild rides would you guys like to build.

Pete

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Well, Pete, I have a stock 1958 Fiat 600 Multipla, and what I would like to do would be to find another one and make the baddest motha Multipla you ever done seen! Flared fenders, roll cage, big tires, hot Fiat twin-cam engine, air scoops, etc.

Does that sound like a "hoon car"? I wouldn't know...

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely!. I pity the rear tyres on that Fiat ... hahaha :D

Pete

4. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I SAW the greatest ever hoon car about 30 years ago. VW Beetle with complete Olds Toronado driveline in the back seat. The driveshafts were about 6" long.

John Lingenfelter wanted to do my Yukon XL Denali with a twin turbo 427 engine. I said "what for?" and he said "you'll be able to spin all four tires at 70mph." Somehow, it made sense (although not enough for me to do it).

5. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Although I get the picture, what exactly does "hoon car" mean? (is it used in the US, or is it a Australian term/expression?)

For me, my first car was a 84 Honda Accord 4dr. If I were filthy rich, I figured I'd buy and restore one just like it and keep it around for yucks.

Then I would convert it to mid engine RWD (ala Renault 5 turbo/clio sport) with maybe the drivetrain from a NSX or something. Nah, too tame. I'd have a custom V-8 made from 2 CBR1000 Fireblade engines or a 2 S2000 motors.

Actually, I love the odd ball combination of a rear engined small 4 dr sedan. I would love to drive a Renault R8 gordini before I die (my fave oddball dream car), though they seem pretty rare in the US.

-art

6. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I want a 1957 Buick Century, done up like Jay Leno's 1955 Buick Roadmaster. Looks stock from the outside, but underneath is all C5 suspension and it is running a 572 cu in big block. '57 Buick was my first car and I have always wanted another one but with all of the mod cons.

Also somewhere out there is a Bentley Mulsanne or Turbo R that is running a Chevy big block as well - saw it for sale in duPont Registry a couple years back.

Finally would also like a 1956/57 Lincoln Continental Mark I in similar fashion to the Buick - big block modern FI Ford power, proper brakes/cooling etc. but stock looking from the outside.

Cheers
    Kevin

7. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Volvo 740
    Add Chevy 350
    Add Supercharger
    Add Limited Slip Dana 30
    Add modified generic suespension parts, as there are no made for parts.
    17 inch rims + wider rubber
    Strip out the interior except the dash
    Put in racing buckets
    Get the weight distribution closer to 50/50 by replacing front with some some carbon fiber and adding some weight to the back.

Enjoy your 650-700 horsepower Volvo. Consider that sentence a few times.

8. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    It won't be a small block with all of the great mods available for it, but I believe a company somewhere in the Midwest sells a conversion kit to fit a 5.0 Mustang drivetrain to 700 series Volvos. You might not have room to fit a blower, but a 740 wagon with a tricked out 5.0 with a tremec manual tranny? Sounds pretty cool to me!
    I would love the congnitive dissonance of seeing a volvo and hearing a deep burbling V-8.

-art

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

HAve you seen this project one on Ebay? Basically a shell, and only $100. Couldn't you see it with a custom tube chassis and a mid-mounted V8? :D

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Paul Newman has or has had some of these - Volvo wagon with 5.0 Mustang engine. http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/printer_33.html

Cheers
    Kevin

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Tillman: Yes, I had seen the Multipla sinking into the ground on ebay, and there was another one in New Mexico last week in about the same shape. If I could find one locally like that, I would go for it! Maybe put a Viper V-10 into it, yeah, that's the ticket!

13. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

:D, my mechanic has that exact setup that I described (minus the racing buckets and stripped interior) in a Volvo 240 and I've talked to him about what it would take to do the same setup to a 740, and if it were possible. He seems to believe it could be done. To the tune of more money that I can afford right now.

14. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I like the creative seller's comment "Don't know about the rockers." Of course you don't, fooo. You don't know cuz you can't see them; you can't see them cuz they're gone.

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Someday, when I get the garage space and time and money....

I'd like to get a beat up euro 308GT4, sell off the motor/transaxle, and replace it with a hotrodded (turbo?) Cadillac Northstar. If they fit the Fiero, it should fit the Dino. Then cast replicas of the hood/doors/front fenders in fiberglass, strip the interior, plexi windows, stuff fat tires and good shocks under it and go hunting wabbits :D

It'd be the DinoStaur

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hahahahaha ... wouldn't that piss the purests :D :D, er, me on every other day ;)

Many great suggestions. Great to see that the teenager mentality is alive in well in us all.

All these cars would really make the work and back drive a completely different experience ... and hardly dull :D

Keep them coming.

Pete

17. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004

Speaking of pissing off purists, I remember reading about the underpowered and unappreciated older brother of the MBZ 300L, the 190L. It looks really nice, just like the 300SL convertible, though I recall reading that the antiquated 4cyl motor had low output, despite being very heavy. (like the engine weighing around 1/3 the weight of the whole car or something crazy like that).

Since rough ones aren't super expensive, I thought it would be neat to fit a light modern supercharged 4cyl motor with the 6 speed out of a C-class MBZ into a otherwise dying 190SL.

I like the fact that a 4 cyl. MBZ engine is replaced with a like motor, and the "kompressor" motors were is use by MBZ's racing cars around the 190SL's era I believe, so thematically it would match.

If the resulting car is too slow, you can always have brabus or whoever tune the hell out the motor too.

Eurotrash tuner stickers and DTM style body kit optional, of course!

-art

18. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Is the word "sleeper" what we're talking about here? :)

Best factory sleeper of all time (IMO): 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T

But if money were no object, and I wanted to build something to take money away from the 5.0 boys on the street...here's what I would build:

1970 Plymouth Fury coupe (It's a C-body, it's huge)
    Completely stock on the outside (sans tires), painted ugly '70's Dodge green
    Ray Barton built 528CID "Krate Hemi" (775HP, 700lbs. of torque)
    Hemi-torqueflite auto built by Cope Racing Transmission
    Dana 60 rear
    4 or so mufflers welded in ;)

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    1990 Audi 90 coupe

2000 Audi S4 engine and transmission