Ultimate Ferrari250GTO-The Definitive History book -preorder? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Ultimate Ferrari250GTO-The Definitive History book -preorder?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by David C, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I would say they will destroy the damaged copies once received and re issue the same number again with the extra books they would have printed for such an occasion.

Lusso123 and 375+ like this.
  2. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Unfortunately I suspect you are absolutely correct. It makes sense with it being a limited release, but my goodness it's a crying shame.

Nembo1777 and Rosey like this.
  3. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Correct, also received the following email:

Dear Customer,

Most unfortunately, it appears there are some quality issues with the binding and the slipcases on some of the Ultimate Ferrari 250 GTO books.

The printing problems with the cloth binding material which considerably delayed the books do not appear to have been fully resolved in some cases. We understand that the screen printers called in the ink manufacturers as all parties tried to solve this problem. It is all the more difficult to comprehend because the identical process and materials had been used for the GTR books which are perfect. It does not make sense.

I am afraid we could not check the books before despatch as they were shrink-wrapped at our printers.

Quality and customer satisfaction are paramount for us and so if you are unhappy with your copy, please let us know. We will replace the books.

Also, most annoyingly, some of the slipcases are not up to standard and, again, if you are not happy with yours, please inform us and we will replace it.

It is extremely unfortunate to have these two unrelated problems, both beyond our control, but we are determined to resolve the situation to our customers’ complete satisfaction.

I apologise unreservedly and hope you will approve of the way we are handling this.

Kindest regards,

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    PHILIP PORTER

If you are not satisfied with your copy, please click the appropriate option below:

I would like to receive a replacement slipcase
    I would like the books and slipcase to be replaced

jm2, of2worlds, Rosey and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Is Porter requiring customers to return the imperfect copies?

5. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    If you are not satisfied with the quality of your book you can use the two links in the mail sent by Porter Press, either replacement of the complete book, or only the slipcase. I think it is just to report your complaint and after your report, Porter will contact you. Luckily my copy was perfect, maybe others can answer what happens after you've reported your complaint.

jm2, of2worlds and Jack-the-lad like this.
  6. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    I received #412/750 through Librairie Motors Mania France today with a similar issue, although the corner of the slip case is both dirty and compressed :/ The shipping carton is light, low-density cardboard and was even damaged (punch through). Fortunately, the books inside were undamaged.
    I am afraid that Motors Mania just forward the books without any quality check. I would expect a better service as a loyal customer.

Lusso123 and Rosey like this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If I were buying this book...which I am not....I would only buy directly from the publisher, as that would probably be the best way to resolve any problems with the condition of the books as delivered.

Lusso123 and bloomberg like this.
  8. seb333

seb333 Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Seb
    Is the option “I’d like to order the book and get it right the first time” available as well? Do they now have the quality checks in place to avoid sending damaged books or are they all gone without checking? Does not give the confidence to order at the moment...

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant FerrariChat

Rosey, LVP488, Dino2400 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Indeed, at the moment it seems like you have a high risk receiving a damaged book. If i was Porter i would open all books and check every single one before dispatch.

LVP488, Lusso123 and bloomberg like this.
  10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Big +1

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The books may not even be in Porter’s possession. They could very well be packed and shipped by a third party.

Lusso123 and of2worlds like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ... that's where "cost optimising" by subcontracting sometimes proves painfully inadequate.

Btw, my GTO books were not perfect (with some slight ink bleeding on one cover) but not to the point I will ask for a replacement.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #213 Rosey, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    I'm pretty confident Porter Press knowing they have quality control issues, under the circumstances ,would accept their GTO book back for replacement no matter which store or distributor it was purchased from.

P.S
    Finally got around to opening and unwrapping my GTO book, thankfully a perfect example.
    Now just paying for the thing is my only concern. :(

14. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Do we have any information on quality control issues outside of this forum - friends, relatives or acquaintances? For almost $620 I would expect top notch quality control throughout the printing and distribution processes. A blackeye for Porter that they will hopefully make right.

15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't think it is especially about "cost optimising". Porter Press are a publisher, not a printer. So, necessarily they use a sub-contractor to do the printing etc.

I believe in one of the videos, Philip Porter said that they received the books from the printers already shrink-wrapped. If so, they would only be able to check them be removing the shrink-wrapping. But they might reasonably expect the printers to have a level of quality control to pick up any such issues. That said, these sorts of issues shouldn't have got through to the end customers, especially on something with such a hefty price tag (as an aside, my own copies are fine).

I do think Porter Press set themselves up for a fall with both the title and the price of these books. I don't believe the presentation justifies the price tag whereas I have a couple of similarly-priced Palawan books that look like they cost what they do. Whilst I am generally happy with my purchase, at half the price and with a less boastful title I would be a lot happier.

LVP488, Jack-the-lad, Rosey and 7 others like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Well said.

17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I still stand by my original first impression upon seeing the books and now owning them, it also applies to the layout inside as well.

I really can't see them selling many (let alone all) of their Collector's editions at 1,500 UK Pound.

Zeltweg likes this.
  18. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    It's a shame because some of the other titles are excellent in all departments. I have the Porsche 956 tomes, and they stand amongst the best I've ever purchased. Maybe they got sloppy in execution because of the many titles they publish. My copy of the McLaren GTR is excellent, but it's not on par with the 956 books. I ordered The Ultimate GTO, but then cancelled, I had a bad feeling. I have high hopes for the GTO 64 book. And indeed if Porter wishes to charge Palawan prices, they should greatly improve their editing, reproduction, and quality control.

Zeltweg, Sharknose, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  19. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    The status of Ultimate 250 GTO standard edition has changed from “in stock” to “pre order” on the Porter Press site. Let’s hope the printers nail the production quality next time around.

My replacement copy has yet to ship since it’s at the printers being made.

of2worlds and Rosey like this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's a pity this book has been hampered by manufacturing quality issues, because it seems they will stick to it and shadow its actual value - which does not seem to be bad (based on my quick browsing, and Doug Nye's comment on another thread).
    I think there have been a few mistakes that could have been avoided:
    - setting high expectations with the "ultimate" word and high price
    - not having a bullet proof printing quality control
    Now Porter Press has to spend money to make it right for dissatisfied buyers (replacing books), wiping out any benefit they could have had from initially overpricing the book, but without cancelling the feeling of overpricing.
    Certainly producing books is not an easy job, but so is the case of most jobs...

Nembo1777 and Zeltweg like this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If they’re serious they shouldn’t charge customers’ cards for orders until the books are shipped. After this snafu they should be as accommodative as possible.

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I too was informed that a replacement copy will first have to be produced at the printers.

Marcel Massini

Zeltweg likes this.
  23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Have any of you guys received your replacement slipcovers, books or both yet?

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This is what I received Friday 13th August 2021 at 4.57 pm Swiss time by email:

"Dear Mr. Massini,
    Further to my email correspondence below, I am delighted to inform you that we expect to take delivery of the replacement copies of Ultimate Ferrari 250GTO from the printers towards the latter part of next week. We will therefore start the process of sending these out to customers who requested replacements.
    In order to ensure that duplicate copies are not in circulation, we ask that you remove the numbered page from volume 1 and either post it to us at the address below, or provide photographic evidence of both the book and numbered page as proof, showing the number clearly. In order to process the despatch of your replacement copy, kindly forward the images to me at your earliest convenience.
    I trust you will find this in order and look forward to your reply.
    Kind regards
    Annelise Airey
    Porter Press International"

Marcel Massini

Rosey, Lusso123, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  25. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    I spoke to Porter Press last week as I have a copy ordered. They are holding back until everything is shipshape. Good service I feel. Not there fault either.

SamoanAttorney and Zeltweg like this.