Ultimate daily driver? | FerrariChat

Ultimate daily driver?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by [email protected], Sep 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Folks,

I plan to replace my current vehicle with a newer daily driver and the following are under consideration:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage or DB9
    Bentley GT Coupe
    Maserati Gran Turismo S

I have a BMW M3 but with the tons of potholes and bad roads here in northern California bay area plus horrible traffic except on weekend getaways, I want something fast, fun, classy and comfortable by at the same time exclusive since every upper middle class person here drives a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, or Porsche and I don't want to see myself coming and going 100x a day. I also want something that won't break down or cost a small fortune to maintain on gas, insurance, and repairs. Ferraris are great cars but realistically cannot be driven daily for various reasons such as how people would look down on you in corporate office unless you are in senior management eg) CEO, CFO, etc.
    My budget is to find one used with low miles and some extended warranty program for under 100k.

Any ideas?

2. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Jag XFR or XKR. I considered each of the cars you list and more. I had the same criteria, as my DD had been an M5. The XFR is about as fast with 510 bhp and is way more comfortable. I hardly ever see any XFRs or even regular XFs. XKs are more common but I like the 4 doors and the styling of the XFR better.

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

The XFR is truly a great car for a reasonable price.

5. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I like all three of the cars you listed, I would go for the Aston Martin, I really love the Maserati, but the Aston Martin is elegant and should be comfortable.

My ultimate daily driver, either a Porsche Cayenne GTS or a Maserati Quattroporte GTS, love the exhaust noise of the QP.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Wait for the Mk III Audi RS6.

I'm an original owner of a Mk I, and, yes, it's that good. It's not without issues, however, and the Mk III surely have some. It certainly won't be inexpensive to acquire, insure or operate, but it will virtually guarantee you won't run across many others, will be amazingly capable (AWD), and will be a mid-sized sedan that can do it all. It looks pretty good, although the spy shots probably aren't doing it any justice.

Food for thought...

CW

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #7 parkerfe, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    I have used an M3, three M5s(e34, e39 & e60), 740iL, S10, Blazer, 911, Vette, Viper and Mazdaspeed3 as my daily drivers over the last 20 years or so, and my current Audi S5 Cabriolet is the best so far. It is plenty fast, looks great and has the luxury to absorb the frustration of heavy traffic in my daily commute in Atlanta area traffic. In fact, with its Quartz Gray and red top and interior color combo, I get more complements on it than any car I have ever owned, including my 6 Ferraris.

8. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    #8 CMartin348, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    As far as I'm concerned the 911 is a perfect DD.

Maserati Quattroporte GTS would be awesome too! Although I've never driven one, as Ash said, the exhaust note is phenomenal!

Out of your list I'd go for the Aston.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Close friend of mine has a Vantage as a daily. Put 68k miles on it in 3 years around Los Angeles. Says its pretty bulletproof.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would agree on the Audi S5. There are a ton of Audis all over California, but the A5/S5 is relatively rare. I think dealers only get 1 or 2 a month allocated of the S5, and the A5 isn't much commoner, probably because the two-door configuration isn't all that practical.

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you want to avoid the image problem, I don't think a Bentley or Aston is going to be much better than Ferrari. The Maserati is at least subtle. But, all of these cars are going to cost a moderate fortune in repairs, which is why people buy Mercs, Lexuses, BMWs, etc. instead.

The Porsche 997 is still relatively distinctive, and with the 991 launch prices on CPO ones should be more attractive. They are daily driveable unless you get one with stupidly huge rims.

The Audi A5/S5, which parkerfe mentions, is a nice option. Audi doesn't have the snob factor that comes with a Ferrari or Bentley, but the coupes are just about the best looking cars on the road right now and much rarer than the A4 and A6.

As a third option, if you really do want to be an individualist, look into a 1970-ish Merc 280SL or Porsche 911 and just get it retrofitted with Bluetooth, iPod-ready audio, etc. Early 911 engines can be rebuilt to RS spec (>200 bhp) and will give many modern performance cars a good run for the money. Not only will repairs be reasonable, because there's basically nothing to break, but you might actually make money by the time you sell it. The Mercs are so nice to drive, but probably slower than you'd want. Might not be what you had in mind, but personally I've gotten terrified by the complexity, obsolescence and depreciation of modern cars.

12. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    I wouldn't bother with an Aston Martin for a daily driver. The Maserati GranTurismo S automatic is probably the best daily driver out there. I quite like the SLs too but they have gotten pretty unattractive. I have not driven the new Bentley GT but the old one was not a "driver's car" in any sense of the word.

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    No love for the SLS? I would think it would be very reliable and you wouldn't ever try your key in another's car if you forgot where you parked. They remain pretty unusual.

14. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    It may sound silly but I don't think you can beat a B8 S4 for everyday. Absolutely love mine and honestly have more fun in it then my dad QP GTS (even though that car sounds so much better)

15. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    From your list I would suggest the Granturismo :)

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    IMHO the 997 is the perfect DD for someone who might have a small child and still enjoys the commute. As others posted, if you don't go crazy with the some of the performance options, the ride is fine.

17. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    They remain unusual due to the price tag. An SLS wouldn't fit the OPs budget. Not that it would fit mine either ;)

18. terminator

terminator Karting

Sep 4, 2005
    Audi R8's have dropped below 100k now..

19. gengar

gengar Rookie

Mar 2, 2008
    #19 gengar, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    It seems that a primary desire for the OP is the exclusivity. I would have probably recommended a Porsche for a DD, but given the exclusivity factor, I would put that far down the list. ;)

I'd definitely go for the AM given your criteria. Even the V8 Vantage will provide quite a bit of exclusivity, IMO more so than the Bentley or Maserati.

Is the S5 really rare in CA? I see them all the time where I live. I think it's a solid car and looks super good, but I wouldn't say it is at all rare.

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1 (errr, 2?)

I keep looking at other cars (including various Maseratis and Ferraris) and just can't come up with a solution that eclipses the 997 for all-around, daily-driving high performance.

I could care less about "exclusivity"; I drive cars for me, not to impress a bunch of wankers. but if that's your thing buy an Aston.

21. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    We don't get the RS line in US. It's too bad it would be the best DD you could buy. Well except for the Avant version.

Aston blends better than most and has appeal because they have nice lines but they are slugs to drive. So on your list it's easily the top choice. Bentley Screams look at me, even more so than a Ferrari. The Maserati is the best car of the three but I think it goes against your wanting to blend into the woodwork statement and not attract too much attention.

One of my DD's is an Audi S4. It's an amazingly comfortable car with a lot of pep. I would always say Audi for a DD if you don't want to drive around in a 911.

22. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I live in San Diego and have an A5 as a daily driver right now, so I'm tuned in to A5/S5s on the road. I have seen fewer than 10 S5s on the road here. They seem less common than 997s, but they're not rare in the sense that a Granturismo would be.

BMWs and Mercs are dirt common around here.

23. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    My mistake, read it again and saw the $100k limit.

Vanquish 2+2 perhaps then?