Ultimate Daily Driver | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ultimate Daily Driver

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Spiderguy, Jul 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    My DD is a S6 Avant -- 340hp, 4wheel drive, great performance, plenty of room for anything I would need to carry, AND stealth.

2. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    #102 Carrera_gtcrazy, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. GabyTR

GabyTR Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Spain
    E50AMG, maybe i will buy a E55, but the E50 still like new and 0 problems with 10 years¡ I love that car¡¡¡

4. JMP

JMP Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    JP
    Bullfighter -- there is a reason you never see lambos with miles on them that are still hanging together.

5. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I don't understand the fascination with Mercedes. I just happened to be looking at the Consumer's Report for the current year and noticed that the cars with the lowest ratings among those in the category with my wife's Lexus, were a slew of Mercedes.

Are the more expensive ones that much better?

My Mondial is a great daily driver - it is 100 % reliable and no matter how crappy my day is, I'm smiling by the time I get home.

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    DD in NYC = TAXI ( in fly yellow only of course..)

0 to 60 in $10 (depends on the meter, if said meter is equipped with "performance" chip, then 0-60 times in the $15 dollar range are achievable.

Parking...'fahgehhhttaboutit!'
    Stopping/braking...rarely/sometimes...("hey stop., taxi, stop you f'n taxi..stop...yeah f you too brother...******"),

comes equipped with bult in navagation system ( yeah if you speak farsi or pakastani or some other 15 or so odd languages)

Other features (options, as fitted): bullet proof enclosure (for the driver); sauna in the back seat in the summer; slime covered rear seat (Oh, sir, Forgive me ,,that is my Leatherique treatment); whatever the previous three passengers decided to leave you ( puke, diapers, false teeth, used cond**s, newspaper in no known terrestrial language, forgotton dreams)

Trunk space: "hey who ya kiddin' go get a f'n u-haul you cheap b*stard, I'm not liftn' nothin..besides I have no pants on ... you f*k"

7. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    See my post on page 5 of this topic for a REAL Mercedes..

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

8. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy

very nice!

9. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    I've often wondered about this myself. Granted, most of us here are used to cars with less-than-stellar reliability / cost to fix, but for a "mainstream" automobile, I'm amazed at the number of people who swear by MB.

I used to work at a dealership that sold Mercedes, and I had customers who would have their cars in the shop, at a minimum, once a month; furthermore, those are the same folks who would tell you their Mercedes was the best car they ever owned........

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against MB. For the same reason we here love our Ferraris, others love their Mercedes. However, for some of the same reasons our F Cars are no where near "mainstream" cars, I would think that a lot of that would apply to MB (just from a reliability standpoint, if nothing else)

10. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I am also fascinated by the Mercedes "brand image" firstly, the cars are extremely high volume production...not that much "exclusivity" also that "star" sits on everything from from heavy trucks to tiny econobox hatchbacks to minivans to suv's and still retains, somehow, its high end luxury exclusive luster...it is like the teflon luxury brand! All the while it has great competition with BMW, Lexus, et, al. ....

11. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Speaking from the standpoint of a Mercedes-Benz service shop owner, I will say that in recent years, MBs quality has declined severely. The technology race back in the mid to late '90s was a huge factor in tarnishing MBs reputation. Why did it hurt MB so much? Because they were the best cars before they began trying to compete against Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc..for who had the latest, greatest, etc...You don't hear as many people complaining about BMW and Audi reliability, that's because they weren't as good as MB was to begin with. It definitely hurt the folks in Stuttgart worse than those in Ingolstadt or Munich.

Let's look back on MBs history. The world's FIRST automobile was produced by Karl Benz, one of the founding fathers of the Mercedes-Benz brand. So there's a lot of experience going for them by the early 1900's already. They introduced the world's first diesel powered production automobile, the 260D, they pioneered crumple zones, did extensive crash testing long before it ever became mandatory, were the first to offer airbags and ABS brakes, which they began developing in the 1960s (around the same time as Dunlop STARTED work on their Maxaret anti-lock system), and if you pay close attention to little details on (specifically) older MB cars, you'll see such things as anti-burst door latches, extensive use of padding in the passenger compartment, breakaway items such as rear view mirrors, collapsable steering columns, hell even the hood stars were designed to yield on impact!

Compare, let's say a mid eighties Mercedes-Benz 500SEL with a BMW 7-series or big Audi. The difference is amazing in the details. The Audi or Bimmer definitely never even came close to the MBs build quality and I'm even going so far as to say that I would guarantee that there are more classic Mercs in service today than Bimmers or Audis from the same era(s). Particualrly the diesels which are legendary for covering a million plus miles on original drivelines. Why do you find it strange that MB can produce a luxury car yet still build trucks and busses? After all, Ford and Dodge build large trucks yet still have cars (i.e. Viper and GT40) that command a high price tag in their showrooms. So do Volvo and Saab, lest we forget.

The Mercedes-Benz tri star logo stands for "land, sea and air" meaning their engines have been used in those types of "vehicles". Albeit not always for a great cause (Panzerwagen, Kreigsmarine, Luftwaffe) but BMW is guilty of that to some degree too.

Finally, let's not forget MBs racing heritage with such cars as the W196 "Stromlinwagen", the W125 and even older cars such as the SSK and Blitzen Benz. In the golden days of motorsport, MB was the marque to fear, never mind Ferrari, Auto Union and Maserati. They had technology far ahead of anyone else with top drivers to boot (Moss, Fangio, Lang, etc..)

It's definitely a shame what has become of Mercedes-Benz. They've replaced engineers with bean counters. They don't give a **** about quality these days it seems, just making a buck. Supposedly, Dr. Dieter Zetsche, the company's new CEO is making a big effort to turn things around at MB, and I hope he comes through, because when MB's sales are hurting, my business is hurting!

I'll say it again, if you want a real mercedes, see my post on page 5 of this thread ;)

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

12. Europlayboy

Europlayboy Karting

May 10, 2005
    Manhattan
  13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  14. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
  15. psmaia

psmaia Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    greenwich, conn.
    Full Name:
    Paul Marchese
    i am also fascinated by the mercedes advocates on a ferrari forum...don't get me wrong, i think mercedes builds great cars, but the unwillingness on their part to offer a manual transmission on their high performance models is baffling...for me, an automatic is a deal breaker no matter how good the car is...

16. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
  17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Nope, Vanquish S. Got it 8/13/05. Now has 9568 miles. (It's had two months off during hunting season and another two months as the county was repaving my road.)

The S 55 was the only car I've ever regreted trading. Fast, awesome acceleration (70-120mph within a snap of the finger), rides nice on the highway, plenty of space and amenities. Unfortunaltely limited to 155mph.

The SL 55 was a real fun car to drive (faster than the S), very nimble despite the weight (due in part to the active body control), as nimble as my 360. The roof line is a bit low and ingress/egress was cramped (for my fat ass). It was NOT worth trading in my S 55 on it. That is a decision I regret. (ditto 155mph)

The Vanquish is by far nearly perfect (for me). Fast (faster than the benz's even without a supercharger), very, very comfortable- slightly more so than the S, 1300 watt Linn stereo. It has as a very "tight" feel, it feels more solid in fact than the S 55 (probably due to the carbon fibre monococque design, unlike the VH platform of the DB9 and V8). If it only had cruise control it'd be perfect. And it has the most intoxicating exhaust ever!!!!!!!! I've had it up to 170mph in fifth gear, chickened out (during dove season- too many birds on the road), let off the throttle and put it in sixth.

As far as the AMGs are concerned, the S 55 is worth the $30K over a 500 (I had an S 430 before it). Also the SL 55 is probably worth the $30K over an SL 500 (my wife has one now, you get 360 performance in the 55, but the SL 500 is a nice car), but I don't think the 65s are worth the $85K over the basic models, the 55s are probably a better value for the money.

And the Vanquish is worth the $100K over a DB9, just the exhaust itself is worth it. I went to the dealer to trade in my SL 55 on a DB9, the sales guy said you wanna drive a Vanquish (again). As soon as I pushed the start button I said "sold!"

Once you go V12, you don't go back......that's why I'm getting an LP 640, giving my wife the Ferrari and getting rid of her SL.

18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I haven’t driven a Vanquish, but only revved one. I know for a fact you are not exaggerating at all, as it just sounds amazing. Pure sex plain and simple.

The DB9 sounds good but it dosnt quite have that emotional tug on your heart that the Vanquish does. Its a shame they are getting rid of it soon. What an iconic car.

19. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I'll agree with Steph and go with the '07 Audi RS4... but in black :)

20. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    As a former New Yorker, this was hilarious!

21. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh , I forgot the most famous interactive drivers system, the very first "iDrive"... "You tawkn' to me? You tawkn' to me?

De Niro has claimed for a while that he will never say those most famous movie lines ever again

22. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "peed, handling, comfort, practicality and aesthetics... office, pick up groceries and perhaps kids"?

Quattroporte.

BMW have completely lost the plot, aesthetically.

23. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    The perfect DD is:
    -Fun (not necessarily fast)
    -Comfortable (not necessarily luxurious)
    -Practical (can drive it 24/7/365)
    -Roomy (can accomidate 5 people or a home depot run)
    -Economical (cheap to buy, operate, and maintain)
    -Disposable (won't lose sleep over it)

My picks would be a WRX Wagon, Legacy Wagon, Saab 92x or S4 Avant

The perfect weekend car is:
    -The opposite of all of the above, except fun

24. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    Good points; I would add aesthetics in there too. If you're going to be driving it every day, it should look decent, right?