Ultimate 458 Exhaust Shootout...Sound Up!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ultimate 458 Exhaust Shootout...Sound Up!!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    @ShineKen You can hear what I can only describe as a “harmonious resonance” towards the end of this tunnel chase video as my car decelerates - it’s epic in person and significantly improves the experience from the driver’s seat.

https://streamable.com/jep92u

SingleClutch, GT2goneF and ShineKen like this.
  2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Ok. Must be a 458 thing. Other cars don’t really have much design differences with after-market test pipes. 458 Novitec and Fabspeed test pipes look nearly identical and also the most simple and straightforward (as most test pipes are). They happen to be producing the best sounds for the 458 as well.

FourFiveGreat likes this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just to be clear, car #6 is Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed test pipes, S-Line non-valved exhaust?

4. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    #29 FourFiveGreat, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    You got it.

As great as the roundup video is (and it’s exceptionally well done), it doesn’t quite do the set up justice. What is understandably perceived as “refinement” in the other exhausts in comparison is in actuality a whole missing element to the sound.

When I bought my car, I immediately installed full iPE and was disappointed that it didn’t quite sound like my friend’s car from years ago with Fabspeed headers, Novitec test pipes, and Novitec exhaust. I decided to bite the bullet and buy all of those exact parts and the magic I expected and remembered was all there. I briefly swapped in iPE test pipes, and was surprised that much of the spine-tingling nature was gone, with that “harmonious resonance” replaced by a straightforward and flat (in comparison) sound. “Refinement.” I remember my disappointment having to drive the car like that on a couple of drives in the early summer as I waited for another install appointment in a couple of weeks.

ShineKen likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Are you hearing much difference between the setup you had and car #6? Novitec and Fabspeed test pipes look nearly identical. He also mentioned he had a tune. That could be the real difference maker. More power more brutalness.

6. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Such a great video and I'm bias, I like #4 IPE Titanium F1 setup!

eskanday and GT2goneF like this.
  7. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    They’re quite similar. I’m hearing the same core sound amped up a couple of percentage points with the Fabspeed. I think the tune goes a bit far on the burbles as it seems to mask some of the beauty of the sound; I’d pare that back a bit, and try to emulate the original 2010-2011 OEM Ferrari burbles. Otherwise, it’s the optimal configuration.

GT2goneF and ShineKen like this.
  8. ferrarigts

ferrarigts Rookie

Apr 28, 2015
    Illinois
    Thanks, Dan. Number 4 (IPE) is my favorite, followed closely by #1. Think I'll keep my 2011 stock, with valves always open. Differences of opinion make the world go around. Would like to have seen (heard) a Tubi as well. Again, thanks for great video.

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Ohhhh, I would live in that tunnel if I got to hear that beautiful symphony every day

FourFiveGreat and ShineKen like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Neighbors only complain about loud noises. They don’t complain about F1 sounding loud noises.

This thread should be a poll.

11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    4 & 5 for me. However I will always be biased in favor of Kline. How is it possible there was no Novitec representation, this makes it an incomplete comparison.

synergy likes this.
  12. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I only know so many 458 owners in the Austin area. I also want to try capristo, full fabspeed, Tubi, etc... There's many exhausts to choose from and each seems to have slightly unique sounds which is kinda amazing given they don't have a ton of difference in design.

Rexcat458, ttforcefed and ShineKen like this.
  13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yet (and so far) they all seem to sound great! Thanks for your hard work and keeping it interesting. I am very happy for your success.

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Brilliant Exhaust Japan. You heard it hear first. The Japanese don’t mess around when it comes to making the best exhaust systems for exotic cars. Make it happen :)

VAF84, GT2goneF and SingleClutch like this.
  15. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I've heard of them before and heard the videos. I'd love to hear it in person.

ShineKen likes this.
  16. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Those headers are crazy long. Probably really fun to install. Lol!

ShineKen likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Good for Youtube content ;)

18. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    If they want to send me some I'll gladly film the install. But I love my current setup and have no real motivation to change it out.

19. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Dammit Dan, I bought the entire Fabspeed exhaust from you for my F430, and now I need a 458! Watching your channel is EXPENSIVE!!

Fly fast and take chances

VAF84 and Mikael-F360 like this.
  20. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Haha sorry. I'm great at spending other people's money.

GT2goneF likes this.
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    They even made the Speciale sound good.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Gotcha. Perhaps consider them in your future offerings. Hopefully someone bites.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep I agree, especially with ''louder isn't better''. The straight piped system wasn't my favourite. Loved the Kline and S line with cats.

132K miles in a 458, impressive!

GT2goneF likes this.
  24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I agree. There are some engineers that dedicate themselves to generate the F1 sound on any car. They even made a BMW V12 sound like an F1 car. I am sure that came out to be expensive.

ShineKen likes this.