Ugly Dino Restoration | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ugly Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by GT steve, Jan 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #51 GT steve, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This summer has been a little crazy and have not been concentrating on the Dino as much. I did finish prepping the front and rear clips. I sandblasted lightly then used an orbital sander to finish them up. I then primed them in DP-40. The radiator fan mounts were completely destroyed, the only things that were usable were the fan bases. After fabricating the new frame I primed them in DP-40. The next thing to do was to start fitting the clips. I decided to do the rear clip first and have started to trim the body work on the car. I'll then match up the the clip and weld it in place.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #52 GT steve, Aug 5, 2012
    With the good weather in full swing I had shifted my work to a flying project that I've been working on for quite awhile. It's not Dino-related but it is sharing restoration time with it so I thought I'd share a couple of photos. It's a 1939 Cessna Airmaster that I've been rebuilding over the last couple of years. This summer I've gotten a lot completed on the wing which had to be completely rebuilt with new wing ribs, wing tips and plywood skinning. Once the wing is installed on the airframe and the weather starts cooling down, I'll switch back to the Dino. When done it will look like this white Airmaster accept the colors. The colors will be Pee-Wee green (yes I know it sounds horrible but is a cool looking green) with a yellow stripe.

NYC Fred likes this.
  3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Beautiful Steve! Can't wait for the ride...

Regards, Alberto

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You are one very impressive engineer!

Pete

5. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Excellent job! I'm involved in a similar project myself, but with a 308. I can only hope that my end results are half as good as yours!!

Keep it up! :-D

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Un 308 volador?

Saludos, Alberto

7. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Jajaja! Así mismo! ;-) Solo que el efecto "volador" lo logro con 4 jack stands que le dan un aspecto similar al DeLorean de Back to the Future! Jajajaja!

8. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #58 GT steve, Jan 27, 2013
    With the weather turning cold I've been back on the Dino the last couple of weeks. I started by finishing the trunk hinges. It took me a couple of tries to get the rivets driven to look like the originals, after heating the rivets cherry red and driving them with a drift pin that has the correct head I finally succeeded! I also has to make a new engine lid hinge. I turned down bar stock for the the arm and made a new backing plate, I had the old bushing. After welding I installed the hinge and tuned it with heat to get the correct adjustment.

9. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #59 GT steve, Jan 27, 2013
    The next step was to install the rear clip. After judicious trimming and trial fitting and measuring I spot welded into place. I cut 2 small tabs on the left quarter panel to help align the joint and then tack welded. The left quarter panel was short by about 3/8" and needed to get filled. I made a 90 degree sheet metal angle and then used a stretcher to create the proper curve to match the gutter profile. After all was tack welded I then finished all the welds and ground and planished them.

10. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #60 GT steve, Jan 27, 2013
    Along with pinning in the left and right side quarter panels Into place, I found that the right quarter panel was not quit right. I had measured the total length of each panel from the door jam back to the tail but the trunk opening was long by 3/8". DANG hand built cars!! I had to cut along the top of the right sail panel and shorten the trunk opening on that side to get the trunk lid to all match. With this accomplished I went back to finishing the right door jam. I cut a new flange for the jam and then tack welded it into place. When all was aligned I finish welded, ground and finished the door edge. When all of the seams are complete, I'll lead all the seams in one big lead fest!

11. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Wow.... back from the dead..

12. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Simply amazing work!!!

What color are you going to go with when you paint it???

PDG

13. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #63 GT steve, Jan 27, 2013
    With the trunk lid in place I started to fine tune the gaps. This is when I found the first problem with the trunk lid! The hinges have no adjustments to them and I needed to raise the trunk lid at the hinge end. I drilled out the spot welds that hold the nut plates for the hinges and made new ones to spot weld in place. The next problem I found was the side gaps. These were way too wide and just didn't fit fit right. After checking the frame I realized that the frame sides were bowed inward...double DANG! I remembered that I had gotten the trunk lid from a burn-out and the frame had apparently been warped from the heat. I had installed a new trunk skin many years ago and this was not apparent to me at the time. After contemplating my options for a day or so I finally realized I had to take the trunk lid apart!
    I peeled the skin off and decided that all the inner sheet metal needed to be replace. I checked the frame for rust by passing a oxy/ac torch over the tube structure. Any thin spots in the tube will burn through and you can repair these spots. I also capped the ends so no more moisture can get into the frame. With the frame straightened, I made new sheet metal for all the sides and rear. The rear flange was made from a single strip of steel that I then used the shrinker to get the proper shape. The frame is now ready for the skin to be installed.

14. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think I'll be painting it the original color. The car was originally a dark blue metallic...I believe is was Bleu Sera Metalic.

15. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    That is going to be a GREAT color on this car

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Steve, absolutely great workmanship as always, not to mention the problem solving skills, that otherwise would force most to toss the towel in.... Kudos!

Kind regards, Alberto

17. David Jarrett

David Jarrett Karting

Sep 21, 2006
    Chatham Kent
    Full Name:
    David Jarrett
    Astonishing project

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Great work, it amazes me how poorly built, yet how complex these cars were. I don't think they made much profit.

19. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    Wow, how about a list of the things you can't do with metal atorch and some tools? People talk about wanting original cars but who wouldn't want this one-looks like it really will be much better made than new.

Very impressive. Which is tougher the airplane (which is really cool looking, BTW) or the Dino?

20. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your complements!
    I enjoy building all sorts of things and have accumulated a bunch of different skills and tools over the years.
    I do see the value in cars that are original with original miles...but for me I love having a car or an airplane that looks original but is brand new. There's just something about a shinny new car! When ever I restore something I usually stay true to how it looked originally but go the extra mile to fix shortcomings such as rust prevention, mechanical flaws or to make a car more drive-able.

As for which is tougher, planes or car. They both have different challenges. The plane requires wood working and sheet metal fabrication skills. Cars and especially the Dino require a little more artistic skills with a healthy dose of different types of welding!

NYC Fred likes this.
  21. TheGreat348

TheGreat348 Karting

Jul 15, 2008
    Are you looking to mentor anybody and/or adopt a son? I volunteer if that is the case. Looking fantastic and my two biggest passions in life aside from my kids.....jets/aircraft and cars. Much appreciated that you take the time to share......

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Amazing build thread. Subscribed.!

23. adonai87

adonai87 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Tenerife,Alicante
    Full Name:
    Adonai
    great project!!

24. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    +1! Holy cow!

Onno

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a very nice color.....will look great.