Tyres ruined by service dealer!! | FerrariChat

Tyres ruined by service dealer!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pknowq, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pknowq

pknowq Rookie

Apr 15, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    TT
    Anyone have something like this happen... so after receiving a new car, I had to send the car back to the dealer as the wheels hadn't been painted as specified.

I decided to switch to winter tyres in November. Upon removing the summer tyres I noticed that the interior of all 4 tyres had been badly damaged. Two of the tyres were so bad that they are dangerous. I find it incredulous that Ferrari could do this. I can only think that they must have had an intern removing tyres that day!

Dealer seems to be trying to distance himself from the problem, but the only other way they could have been damaged was at the factory, highly unlikely, but.. in which case the dealer should have spotted it themselves!

Anyone experienced a similar problem?

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Do you have any photos of the damage to the summer tyres ?

I am not sure how Ferrari or anyone would be able to damage the inside of the tyre. It could be a manufacturing fault so if the dealer won’t fix this [ which they should as they may have supplied your car with faulty tyres ] speak to the tyre manufacturer. I would also take a tyre to your local tyre shop and ask them what they think about the tyre.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am at a loss to understand how the interior of a tire gets damaged in the mounting/dismounting process? Can you explain or provide a photo?

daytona355 likes this.
  4. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Who puts up a question six days ago and doesn't look for responses? Something smelly here.

daytona355 likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He's been here. Maybe he isn't getting the responses he wants.

6. pknowq

pknowq Rookie

Apr 15, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    TT
    Here's a photo of one of the tyres, looks like they used a sharp object to prise away the tyre from the wheel.

I did speak to the local tyre shop. I was with them when they took them off to switch to winter tyres, so I know it wasn't them that damaged them. All 4 were damaged to a certain degree. It's just a bizarre thing to happen with an authorised dealer so wanted to post here to see if any one else has experienced such a thing. I guess I just got unlucky and it was the interns first day! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

7. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor

Sorry, but not really sure what it is that I am looking at. Can you draw on the picture what is wrong?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea, that picture doesn't really work to show the issue.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    After blowing it up it doesn't look like the damage is at the point of contact of the tire machine but of the wheel itself. It looks like the tires were spinning on the wheel to a high enough degree it damaged the rubber. There are only two reasons I have seen that happen on a street car. One is too low a pressure. The other is too slick a surface. We had Red Label Bentleys doing that on their fake powder coat chrome wheels. Had to scuff the wheels to make it stop.

Hard for me to tie this to any installation issue.

Tire machine component that rotates and prys off tire is not in hard contact for more than about 2/3 of the tire circumference in any event, maybe even less. If this is a full circumference issue it is a tire/wheel issue and not a tire machine issue.

daytona355, BigTex, PTG1 and 2 others like this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The hapless dealer may be right.

The tire bead gets lubricated "first install" and as Rifledriver notes can stay active for a long time, causing problems in use.

In your case that scalloped tearing at the bead edge, would indicate it was dry as the travel bar expanding the tire for the first time, or at any other change I suppose.

Should I have to "change tires" seasonally, there's strong argument for two sets of rims, IMO.
    Every chance a Tech touches a tire/wheel combo, there's a chance "Bad things can happen.."

I handed a laborer a PERFECT used wheel once, the nicest one in the Yard.
    As he threw it on, to strip the tire, he turned the wheel from one that needed nothing, into one that needed a paint job!!

The weights caught and travelled and &^*%&^% everything up.
    HTH

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's well inside the bead, certainly and the point where it seals to the rim?