Type 52 Dubos Coupe | FerrariChat

Type 52 Dubos Coupe

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by RP, Oct 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #1 RP, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This was the first time I viewed a photo of this car that was in UltimateCP.

Incredible.

Almost makes me wish I was around in the 1930's to be able to get one of these race car hand me downs to convert to a street car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    the car is actually a t51 twin cam grand prix car with a period rebody..it's a long and complex story involving multiple chassis and rich white guys..best to do a search...i had the chance to drive the car when bob sutherland owned it [over los laurelis grade from carmel valley to laguna seca]..it handled like a gp car with low air in the tires [due to the weight of the body] and as hot and noisy as could be....great car tho...

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #3 El Wayne, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    #4 dbw, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    the last bunch of 35b's [496X] were converted to t 51's. the original car-4962- was delivered with a gp body..as t51 chassis 51133 to no less than louis chiron..i think he sold it and a subsequent owner [bith] had the car rebodied by dubos and was driven in this form..kind of a poor man's atlantic....somehow later on the car had the body removed and while the coupe body languished, the chassis was returned to gp form with a replica body..the coupe body was obtained by bob sutherland who commissioned a replica t51 chassis!![ i think richard i'anson had a lot to do with it as he was doing a lot of bob's bug stuff back then] meanwhile the original chassis was totally over restored by jack nethercutt and sat in the merle norman mausoleum.the next part i'm guessing at..sutherland died and his collection was broken up..i think the nethercutt collection [skip??] bought the real body on a replica chassis, took the real coupe body off the replica chassis, the replica gp body off the original chassis and reunited them! as i was doing research on my 35b and had a paint match for factory chassis color [baby poop green] they contacted me during restoration..i was able to provide the original brush width but somehow they decided to spray it..oh well.

last i heard nethercutt still has the car but that's old information so i can't say where it is now.

5. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Yes, if it was a T52 it'd be just a wee bit smaller! ;-)