Twin Turbo 1984 Ferrari 400i | FerrariChat

Twin Turbo 1984 Ferrari 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Turbo360, Jul 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    It's an old article but that is really nice.

Under-Hyped: Twin Turbo 1984 Ferrari 400i

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That's fabulous.

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Any idea of the HP?

4. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Indeed I bought the car, however; I have had little to no time to enjoy it (I have driven it personally less than 100 miles) due to work and 3 other projects. Also the car was off the road for service and maintenance. While the car has been professionally built and has all the mentioned mods there were a few things that needed attention. Now it probably needs to be driven (I have someone regularly take it out for a drive....which is pretty sad)...Anyway, I have yet to created a for sale sign but looking at my schedule and other car projects (including another 400i that I have had for 2 years)...probably going to happen soon, if there is interest feel free to PM.

Recent service work includes:

Complete R&R of the front suspension – new OEM bushings, ball joints, shocks restored
    Full service of fuel system, added dual Marren fuel dampers added to reduce injector hammering since they batch fire
    Injectors cleaned and calibrated by R/C Engineering
    New plugs
    Full A/C service – repaired of cabin fans and broken control levers
    Added in-line heater fans for heat and defrosted (stock fans were deleted and replaced with intercoolers)
    Repaired radio
    Tires replaced with NOS and Rims repainted
    Updated of Megasquirt firmware GIOShift and replaced MTX Lambda sensor
    New OEM doors seals (both doors)
    Interior front seats and door cards reconditioned and redyed
    Full color correction of the car (clear coat peeling issues addressed), paint is mirror like
    front calipers painted, many other little things etc...

5. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    Pictures please.

6. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    You should definitely make time to drive it:)!

7. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    The car has been for sale on eBay and surprised no one had commented on in the past few days...

Here's the link to it where they're asking $44,500.00 and the description within the listing is also copied below... To each their own, but between the clear lenses in the front of the car appearing not to be correct for that model year, to having the rear portion where the taillights are located being painted black, which I believe are typical of a Series I, to some rough trim and paint, I just don't see the asking price on the car being based apparently on the engineering work. Good luck to the new owner, though!

Ferrari Other 2 2 | eBay

Exceptional Ferrari 400iA - 100+ Pictures

Twin Turbo with air to air intercoolers and 4 speed transmission

By all accounts, any Ferrari is a special car; this example is not only special but also quite unique. Cognoscenti of the marque and other petrol heads will probably recognize it as it has been featured on several websites due to its discreet yet important modifications. The 400i was a remarkably successful model for Ferrari with one of the longest production runs. It was also the first Ferrari to offer an automatic transmission, which at the time was considered sacrilegious though actually well suited for this 2+2 GT designed for long jaunts to the Riviera. However, in its stock form 400i does suffer from some shortcomings; the gearbox has short gearing, the power to weight ratio is quite average, and the steering is heavy especially at low speeds. While the dual A/C system (front and back) was touted as excellent for its time, it is not suitable for hotter climates.

Now imagine that have a weakness for this beautiful Pininfarina design, have deep pockets and a bent for high performance vehicles….So you decide to address these deficiencies and meticulously modify this car using modern day solutions while maintaining originality. You start with a pristine 1984 400iA with CARB (California Air Resource Board) sticker...a must if you live in California...replace the 3 speed GM TH400 with a new 4 speed overdrive unit for quieter cruising, look at engine options and opt for a complete engine rebuild adding a couple of turbo chargers with twin intercoolers to augment efficiency and power. While there you modify the steering box with a progressive and more powerful system and upgrade A/C system including modern high output A/C compressor and condenser to keep your cool when making those “elevenses” …

The result is a very “normal” looking Ferrari with a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality. It is gentle off the line displaying the typical potential of a V12, equally subtle at normal speeds partial throttle, however; push the throttle to the floor, wait for the boost to build up and be prepared for an e-ticket that will test your resolve and reflexes…

Caution, if you expect the immediate pull of a modern turbo car like MB CL65 you will be disappointed... the MB AMGs feels like a big plane taking off with a continuous and consistent acceleration, the 400i is more like a large rocket, at first not much happens but when it goes, you better be strapped in…

Now for the boring Stuff (Condition and Technical):

Cosmetically the pictures speak for themselves, a recent color correction and re-dyeing on the interior leathers make the car truly excellent. As a California and more recently Texas car, it has not rust or any corrosion.

The engine was completely rebuilt with forged pistons, the old CIS system was removed and custom fuel rails with hi-flow fuel injectors installed. Headers were custom built and two Garrett T3 were installed with twin air to air intercoolers that sit behind the front grille. A custom exhaust system with dual catalytic converters with Lambda sensor and Ansa mufflers gives it a nice but not invasive exhaust note that doesn’t detract from the surprisingly fun whoosh sound of the wastegates. The engine controller is a MegaSquirt system which controls ignition, injection and turbo boost which is “limited” to 12 psi on pump gas. It is fully programmable using laptop and Turner Studio MS software.

The transmission is a GM 4L60 with shift point electronically controlled by a MS Shift module tat is slaved through a CAN bus to the MegaSquirt system.

The A/C system was replaced with a modern and more efficient Sanden unit and a larger condenser that uses R134a.

All engine and mechanical were done by Greg Armstrong of Historic Race Engineering Costa Mesa, CA. Greg has the distinction of having been designated and authorized by Lamborghini to produce a run of seven Diablo Twin Turbo in the early '90s, so his pedigree is impeccable when it comes to both exotics and forced induction cars. The above modifications are documented with numerous invoices that total over $50K and recent work amount to another $10K.

The car has seen considerable work since I took ownership of it last year. In addition to the extensive color correction detailing, and interior work, all the software and firmware for MegaSquirt and SMShift were updated, a new MTX Lambda sensor was installed and the system tuned. The front suspension was completely rebuilt with new OEM bushings and ball joints giving the driver the feedback expected of a Ferrari. The fuel system and injector were clean and calibrated by R/C engineering and the noise from injector batch firing was alleviated with the addition of 2 Marren fuel dampers with fuel pressure gauge. The interior A/C fans were repaired and the system was serviced to assure proper performance in the Texas heat. The addition of intercoolers in the front grille resulted in the deletion the heater and defrost fans (which is ok if you never drive the car outside), but not very practical for the real world. A new system with inline duct fans was designed and added to regain the heat and defrost functions. Original stereo was repaired in keeping with the vintage of the car. Finally all the door seals were replaced, tires were replaced, and original Ferrari document jacket and toolkit sourced (at significant expense).

Knocks:

This car may have received a massive amount of TLC over its lifetime, but it is still a 30 year old used car. The paint is excellent but has a couple of spots with the typical stress cracks around the headlight corners and minor road chips that have been touched up. The Marren fuel dampers have reduced the noise from the injectors batch firing, but I can still hear them especially when cold (I am really sensitive to noises). The electrical side mirrors were fixed but the switch controller connector broke while removing the driver door panel, a new switch will need to be sourced (though mirrors can be hand adjusted). The trunk seal is torn in one spot and will need to be repaired or replaced.

Usual Disclaimers and Rules of Engagement:

Please do not bid if you do not have the funds readily available; a deposit of $1000 is required within 48hrs. If you have any questions please contact via Ebay or call 512-293-1021, but first to refer to the description and the pictures below or review the answered questions below. The car is being advertised locally and I reserve the right to cancel the auction at any time. I may consider trades plus cash as I am in the market for a small SUV for my daughter. While this one of my personal cars, it will be sold through my dealership with the appropriate documentation and guarantees so bid with confidence.

8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    My apologies for some of the comments above from my previous post - these cars have been around for a while and I will let those who view the car's pics make their own mind up as to the condition of the car and its value. We should not compare them to new cars or to those who restore them to as new condition since all owners are different.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Are there pictures of the transmission, and how it's installed and hooked up to the torque tube? Thanks.

10. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Yes, there are a number of pictures available. I bought the car as Xmas present (for myself) and have spent a fair amount of money and time correcting a number of items that needed attention. The car is very interesting and reminds me of 80's turbo cars (288 and f40) not much going until the boost kicks and then it gets interesting....similar to my Norwood built 308/288 replica with twin turbo water to air intercoolers and 605 rwhp, docile until the boost is in....you better have sharp driving skill :)

11. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I appreciate your comments, since I own the car I would say that it's a different animal with a unique personality. It is a 30 year old car - with the expected wear and tear - comparing it to a stock (time capsule) 400i is not really meaningful - I own a stock 400i and while the v12 sound is wonderful, the performance is closer to a modern Honda Civic Si, disappointing for folks looking for a Ferrari experience. I think this car is neat as it looks completely stock yet it can play with modern BMW M and AMG models (ok, mostly in the straights). If you are a (tifosi) car guy I am sure you will appreciate, nothing like an old girl spanking the new kids on the block :)

BTW, as an aside, my wife and I drive CLS63, E63 and CL55 as DDs (pretty common rides these days) whenever I drive the 400i TT it feels pretty unique

12. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ..I should,but work is cruel mistress..allows you to get many toys but not the time to play with them :(

13. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was hoping to come into an extra $40k or so by some miracle, so I did not comment on it in case it was purchased out from under my dream of buying it. Seriously, I really do wish I had the funds right now, it is a fantastic car and the current owner has done some nice detailing to what the previous owner started.

Best of luck on the sale, and I hope we get to see the new owner adventures posted here as well.

14. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It was relisted and looks like it may have sold this time. $40k final bid. Almost the $45k he was originally asking. Wish I was in a position to have bought this. Too many other expenses right now.

15. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...sale pending, buyer is from Brazil and appears genuine, I will let the list know what ultimately happens!

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...well Ebay appears to think otherwise and has cancelled the Auction. I guess I will relist :(

17. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Bummer. Those who treat e-bay as a video game ought to be drawn and quartered.

18. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wish I had some extra funds, so I could have bid higher. This car's eBay listing just finished again. Sold way too cheap.

19. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Don't feel bad, it didn't sell. A couple of recurring bidders failed to respond to messages. High bidder has less than 10 feedback, I tried to end it sooner but Ebay assigns the win to the high bidder and charges the fee. This will get addressed through the Ebay "resolution center". Sad to say but there are people out there who don't read the description or think it's a joke, ruining it for potential buyers and sellers...honestly Ebay has become a waste time.

20. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well my bid, which was the high bid for most of the auction, was only $500 below the winner. I know the car is worth much more than that, but its all I had to offer. I hope the next round will bring a buyer who can pay you what this car is worth.

21. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I don't think I will be relisting - Ebay creates a lot of interest but the very large majority are tire kickers. Couple of folks have contacted me off-line, not desperate to sell just trying to make space for something else...

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    where is the car?

23. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...where the US F1 race is located :)

24. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    In Austin on the 28th. I would like to see the car. As a buyer. Would that be possible?