Turn signal symbol will not illuminate in dash | FerrariChat

Turn signal symbol will not illuminate in dash

Discussion in '360/430' started by Some Guy in the sky, May 29, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I have a 99 US 360 and the turn signals work fine, the hazard lights work fine but the turn signal symbol light in the dash will not illuminate. It also does not illuminate at key on. I have searched through the forum and can not find a similar issue. Also all of the other check engine like lights (sport light, parking lights, seat belt not connected warning light, etc) illuminate on key on as well as during normal operation and the back light of the gauge cluster works fine. Auxiliary things like ASR symbol in the dash works as well as the temperature in the dash. Has anybody had a similar issue before?

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Is there one of those mini bulbs in the dash for that light? Could have burned out.

3. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    I have no idea, hopefully someone else can chime in.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is the turn signal the same bulb as the hazzards

5. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    I believe so but I don't know that for sure.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Odd, have a look for the flasher unit. The indicators work so the flasher must be working but there must be a wire on it to the panel bulb. If it is the same bulb for the hazards then it must have a diode in the line as a block to stop it back feeding the hazards. The same would apply for the hazards feeding the turn signals.

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The hazard/flasher unit should be ok if the external turn lights are flashing. The left and right turn outputs from the flasher unit go to wiring splices which feed the lights and the dash. There are no dedicated outputs from the flasher unit for the dash alone. One of these splices also feeds the hazard pushbutton to make the button flash when you have pushed it. @Some Guy in the sky, does your hazard button flash?

Since the left and right turn wiring to the dash is independent (two wires), it's unlikely you have a wiring problem. Sounds like a dash issue.

To 360 owners... Do the green arrows illuminate independently when you are turning left or right? If they flash at the same time, there is probably a diode or two to prevent the left and right wiring shorting to each other in the dash.

The hazard button is wired up to directly the hazard/turn module on a certain pin to initiate the flashing. The dash is also hooked up to that same pin (on yet another wire from the flasher unit to the dash), but it's not clear from the wiring diagrams what this input does... if it is an input.... it could be an output from the dash?

Sorry, I can't remember if anyone told me if the red triangle on the multifunction display illuminates if you push the hazard button... I've asked this question a few times... or does the red triangle only illuminate if you have an accident? This may provide a clue regarding the internals of the dash to assist with faultfinding.

Coupe hazard/turn wiring diagram here (but dash internals are to be confirmed)

https://www.dropbox.com/t/nHXQkiG72m0lLxo6

Link expires in 6 days

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Neat diagrams but not showing a diode

10. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    Thanks for the reply and diagram. So I can tell you that when the hazard button is pushed the button itself does flash. Also when the hazard button is pushed a triange symbol pops up in the cluster display. I have payed more attention to the signal in the cluster and it never turns on anymore at all. Not on deactivation of the immobilizer, not on key on, not on turn left, turn right or hazard. If you need any more info let me know. Also, has anybody else ever had one of the lights in that part of the cluster burn out?

Qavion likes this.
  11. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    After looking at the diagram I'm thinking it has to be a burnt out light because of the light not coming on at key on, which is not influenced by either turn signal input or the hazard input. So... does anybody know who can fix this bulb?

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    My old e36 bimmer idiot lights are the replaceable mini bulbs. But the reading I did shows the 360 Inst cluster to be much more complicated.

I would call one of the shops that repairs 360 clusters.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. The wiring suggests it should. I know on my F355 which has the same setup, the light didn't flash until I replaced a faulty diode in the switch. Perhaps someone can independently confirm that the button does not flash on the F360?

Thanks for the feedback on the triangle. I'll try to modify my wiring diagram to show this. At least we know your hazard button is sending a signal to the dash. I don't think this signal directly causes the arrows to flash, but rather the button activates the flasher unit and that causes the arrows to flash. Anyway, at this point, it looks like the dash is the main culprit. Hopefully a simple bulb/LED change.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've added a triangle symbol to my wiring diagram:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://www.dropbox.com/t/oJ3yLUbZ3sLhy86j

I'm still not sure if the purple/black wire between the dash and the hazard/turn module is multi-purpose. I understand that in an accident, the hazard lights are turned on. Maybe an earth signal is sent from the dash to the hazard/turn module to turn on the flashers on that purple/black wire? Anyway, that is for another day. Back to your problem...

15. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    Update. The car is in for its latest major service and they took out the gauge cluster and it looks like the problem is the turn signal LED itself. So thats great.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the update, Some Guy :)

Some Guy in the sky likes this.