Turbo R Known Issues? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Turbo R Known Issues?

Discussion in 'British' started by Ronbo, Jan 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thank you ever so much Aaron. You make many good points that I needed to hear.

In some ways I am a good candidate for such a car, and in some ways I am the
    worst candidate. Basically, I can affort the car and the bills should they come,
    but I don't know if it's the car for me and may find I want to sell it in a year.
    So I am in a terrible position to try one, since as you say, reselling can be tedious
    and protracted.

It is always hard for me to get over my personal preference of having a car with
    low miles, and in mint condition. Since if it's higher mileage I would feel guilty for
    every mile I put on thinking I won't be able to sell it should it cross that "next"
    threshold. And it needs to be mint or I will spend my life trying to make it so, and
    I am rather tired of doing that. It makes me insane. ;)

As you say, one must understand that various repairs, like the brakes, can be
    horrendously expensive, yet, only need to be done rarely, so on a "per-year"
    basis, it's not bad. Ferrari's require "majors"...same logic. But it's the $3000
    ignitions that you can't get...that scares me. I think it's a car that you either
    have tons of money for and a dealer, or some interest in it to research each
    issue and get it cheaper, and I'm not sure I want to get into it that much.
    Though I do have a very good local repair shop that can handle the service,
    who knows for sure, when it comes to special tools.

I am attracted at this moment to an early 90's Rolls Royce. I may get it home
    and find it's a "What was I thinking" moment when I take it anywhere, or I may
    find it's the most fun I've had in years and ask to be burried beside it...hehe...
    so I don't know till I try, yet what a mess if I don't want to keep it...I'm stuck.

To spice up this thread I think it would be just fine if you wanted to post pics
    of the cars you have for sale, that would be aweful kind of you. Personally
    what I like in these is a lot of rear legroom, so for me I'm only interested in cars
    with the long wheelbase. But others might benefit from the pics as well.

I know it's no where near the same thing, but my only other option is a newer
    Jaguar XJ8 or VDP. It would be easier to maintain, more modern features, a
    nice interior and ride, and more practical day to day, but I certainly would
    never have experienced the "Real Thing". Gosh these decisions are tough, in
    a way there's no wrong answer, there's always logic each way. Though I take
    your point seriously about resale. I must be cautious, that's for sure.

Thanks again!
    Wes

2. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wes,

No sweat in the info. It's always best to approach RR/B ownership with plenty of knowledge! I actually haven't photographed either of the two cars that are for sale, as I've been to busy, but I'll get some at the next opportunity.

As for the Jag, those are excellent cars as well, the X300 and X308 chassis XJ6 and XJ8 cars. One thing to watch, however, are timing chain problems on '98 and '99 V8s. There is an update for it, but make sure it's been done on any prospective car you're considering. Better yet, go for a '95-'96 XJ6 VdP. They have the AJ16 inline four litre six which is a bulletproof engine. The trans is (if memory serves me correctly) a GM4L80E, which is also tough as nails. And if you want some performance, a '95-'97 XJR can't be beat. It uses the same engine as the early Aston DB7, albeit blown, and it's great fun. 322hp out of the box and with an underdrive pulley, you can squeak a little more out of it.

Cheers,
    Aaron

3. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #28 F1Ace, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Jags I would be looking at would be the 2004 on ones. I know it doesn't have
    the magic ride, but I like the better interior space in those.

Interesting....a Bentley I was watching on EBay did eventually sell......
    http://www.mohrimports.com/view_inventory_details.php?car_id=166
    ...so they do eventually sell. I suppose if one gives it 3-6 months, like
    a Ferrari, you can sell them. Agreed?

You should have seen this one's white interior....sweet....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

bespoke!!

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Don't be afraid of that GM400 transmission. As is, it can handle something like 800hp. If it blows, it can be rebuilt for around $1k. They used it in the V12 jags, and 400-412i auto Ferrari's also.

6. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Someone with experience suggested the cost is roughly $500.00 per month.

Does that sound about right to you as well?

Wes

7. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #32 bergxu, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    Wes,

If you budgeted $500/month for Turbo R operating expenses, I think you'd be ahead of the game in that department. But you'd better budget $1K/month in fuel :D

Re: your other question about slow sellers; yes, they'll take a few months (at least) to shift. Although when I decided to sell my Red '89, it got close on eBay but didn't make reserve. One week on the RROC message board and it was gone. Go figure.

On the '04-'05 Jaguars; they're good cars, but you'll be at the mercy of a dealership for service as nobody has developed an aftermarket diagnostic system worth a damn for late model Jags. Ask me how I know ;)

8. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thank you.

I would say $500 a month is not that bad. Any decent car can cost you $5000 more or less a year to operate. You will either pay it in depreciation if it's on warranty, or repairs if it's not. So thank you for confirming that.

And I know what you mean about selling cars....I was selling a kitcar a while back and had no luck....till I tried a kitcar sales page and wow, that made all the difference.

But if you have some to sell you can always post them in the classified section here, but my advice would be to also open a thread here about it. If you're a member it's OK, and it makes a difference to the impact of your ad.

I'll let you know what happens on my end, if anything.

Cheers!
    Wes

9. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Hey Aaron,

Do you know if there is much information in the forum on this site?
    http://www.rroc.org/page.asp?sid=1&page=6

Seems you have to pay the full membership to see inside the forum
    and I don't want to do that if there's only like 6 people who post
    once a month, you know?

Thanks!
    Wes

10. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    FWIW, I was a member of the rroc and had access to the forums. This was approx. 3 years ago. At that time, they were hardly any posts and very little activity. The rroc seemed to operate more face to face or person to person. They had technical experts for each series of car in every region. You could contact them directly for info and advice. It worked well and everyone was very helpful. That, and access to the classifieds of member cars for sale, made it worth the price of admission.

11. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thanks very much Keith.

I guess you also get access to publications that are useful?

12. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Indeed. The Flying Lady magazine is actually quite informative with respect to technical articles and also provides a good insight into the RR marque and community. It is a diverse group.

13. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Other than that Forum, are there any others that are usefull for 90's Bentleys and Roll's?

14. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wes,

These days, the RROC forum is pretty active. There is one fellow in Switzerland who is immensely knowledgeable about those cars. I believe he is an ex-factory or dealer mechanic. Not many other places on the web to get info, unfortunately.

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Important question here....

If I wanted to own a newer Rolls or Bentley, like a 2000 or newer, my mechanic doesn't
    have the scanners and tools for those cars. Are those also available to rent? Is owning
    a newer one of these possible without a dealer?

Thanks so much in advance.

Wes

16. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wes,

I'm not sure if the RROC has the tools, etc...for the newer cars. You could always give them a shout to see. I'm curious though, as to why you'd want a newer model over a Turbo R? The Arnage feels like driving a BMW...

17. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Haha....funny you should put it that way, since I already drive a 745.

I find when I look at the early 90's Rolls for example, that I like the interior
    etc. till I look at a newer one, and I find it much more to my liking. Same
    with the Bentleys. I also would expect there would be other tech and
    quality improvements I would notice too. Plus, there's just no substitution
    for having a newer vehicle, they always feel newer no matter how well
    one maintains a car. So there's those things plus selection.

I always wonder if BMW can service the newer cars. Have to ask them
    that some day. Similar question to the VW dealers.

But getting back to price...when a dealer wants $30g for a 1991 and for
    another 10 or $20g more I can have a late 90's one, I wonder why I would
    buy the older one.

So while they may be BMWs underneath, BMW doesn't make those interiors.
    :)

Wes

18. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wes,

Very true. But Bentley doesn't make those engines! ;)

19. MOTOHEALER

MOTOHEALER Rookie

Jun 27, 2012
    thronhill
    Full Name:
    erik mogilever
    Hi Aron,

I truly enjoyed your article on the Bentley TURBO R. I am the lucky owner of 2 Bentley Turbo R that I imported from Japan. A 1992 model with 34,000 KM - brand new. And a 1991 Model with 74,000 KM. Also as new but both cars need full service.

I own many collector cars and for the amount of money you pay for these Bentleys make them the biggest bang for the buck ever. When new these cars cost in the neighbourhood of $ 212,000 US back in in 1992.

My question is this - as I am new to Bentleys - how do you add the LHM fluid to top up the reservoir? I removed the label and there are 2 adding covers - correct??? Please advise how to add this fluid. I am using LHM PLUS the green fluid that I use on my Citroen SM and DS. This is correct???

My email is [email protected]

Cheers,

Erik

20. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Erik,

Indeed there are two reservoirs. One for system 1 and one for system 2. You need to use the special filler bottles of LHM which are from Castrol. You can use LHM+ from TRW or other brands, however the only company to offer it in the correct bottle is Castrol. Just go to your nearest Jaguar dealer and see if they still stock any as the older XJs (XJ40 era) use LHM in their ride leveling systems. You can refill the bottles with the other branded stuff.

As for filling the reservoirs; on top of each tank, you'll see a clear cylinder with a green float in it. Just aft of those level indicators are the filler holes which will have little black plastic plugs in them. Twist and remove the plug (it'll stay attached to the reservoir by way of a "cable". Then, with the Castrol filler bottle, insert the "tit" end of the tube into the hole and twist it to lock it in place. You can then fill each reservoir, respectively. Remember, the level will drop when one of the pumps begins to pressurize its own system so fill slowly and just bring the green floats to the top of their respective cylinders.

In the boot, there should be a compartment which is meant to house two bottles of Castrol LHM.

Good luck. I love Turbo Rs and in fact, just got my fourth one a month or so ago!

21. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's a old thread I am just wondering what's the magic in the old cars the engine seems smooth than the new w12. Well I could be wrong but that's how I felt about the old turbos

22. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    They still look impressive.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Head gaskets!! I didn't read the entire thread, but head gaskets and the studs pulling from the block are a huge issue. I have thrown a few out the door because of this issue. The repair cost is more then the car is worth.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you for bumping a great thread.

And thanks to Aaron for a great post!

I may have a Brooklands in my future...

Matt

25. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    #50 Bluebottle, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unless you mean the later 2-door coupe, I would ignore the Brooklands and go for the Turbo R for the extra performance.

I have owned mine ('90 active ride model) for almost 14 years now and I have enjoyed every one of the just over 30,000 miles I have driven in it. I have never had any problems in the sense of "failing to proceed", but over the years it has cost me over £40,000 in servicing and repairs, so don't expect to run it on a shoestring.

I have attached a spreadsheet of expenditure to give you an idea of where all that cash has gone.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login