Turbine Legend Anyone? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Turbine Legend Anyone?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Hannibal308, Apr 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Have you spent much time flying cross country in light aircraft?

It's a bit of a different deal than flying around in the upper 30s in a jet...

That said, the southwest is a great environment for a turbo cirrus or columbia.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In many respects it is a lot easier, especially in the southwest. Get away from the coastal city B/C airspace, avoid the restricted areas (easy with a handheld GPS), and you are free to travel all day without talking to ATC. If you live on the coast light IFR will get you out, thereafter VFR dominates.

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This just means you haven't tried it yet. Once you do you'll be hooked like everyone else.

For me, I feel if I bought an L39 I'd have fun doing loopy loops 10 times or so and I'd be over it. The whole joy of flying to me is going places. Freedom

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Yeah...you get it. The L-39 is a fighter pilot wannabe airplane. I don't need that. I want something pretty, relatively fast, economical, fun...all for the freedom of going where I want or need to go, but when I want to. I feel lucky it's a possibility because I don't need to rely on anyone to fly for me.

DonV. I've flown cross country at all altitudes from 100 feet to 50K but not in light aircraft since I was 16-17 years old working on my PPL. In the U.S. all of my flying has been Texas and West of that.

Just as a feel for my personality...if money were no object, I'd commute in a P-51 mustang!

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Not sure I can own a cirrus...200 knots and placarded for no stalls, spins, or aerobatics at all...ever! I'd need an S-2S too. Im sure I'm not the only one that wants to commute in something less ho hum than what is just a sleek bonanza.

6. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    IIRC the Columbia (Cessna 400) was certified in the utility category, so it is build for light acro. Maybe Rob will chime in and tell us of any unusual attitudes he may have gotten into.;)

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't agree that it's "easier" particularly when you need to be somewhere at a certain time. It is different, though. I suppose if you're not all that comfortable working within the ATC system, it might seem easier.

There is actually a lot of restricted airspace in the southwest US-- you might be surprised.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Maybe what you need is a Siai Marchetti SF260?

Alternatively, you could find an aerobatic Bonanza. Or, a T-34?

I think, given your background, you would find aerobatics in any of those airplanes to be pretty boring after the first loop and roll, however. Once you get past that, a nice autopilot and decent performance and altitude capability start to be more important.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Don. I really do hear you. I'm not looking for a hair shirt.

It's not about doing aeros anyway. Sometimes it's just nice to stay at altitude until the last few miles, pull power, roll inverted and pull the nose down to best glide, roll back upright, then fly direct to initial, pitch and land without ever touching the power ever again. I've been used to flying an airplane that really becomes a part of you, and while I don't need anything that performs anything like a viper, nothing can anyway, it would be nice to find something small, responsive, that doesn't fall apart if you do a roll, has great visibility, reasonable costs for a professional (not NFL professional), and that won't take me 3+30 to fly from Phoenix to Santa Ynez or Camarillo.

So far, every suggestion you all have been making are great options and it's awesome hearing each of your perspectives on this. I'll bet anything there's at least a few of you out there that have thought about this before and chosen a great fit for your needs. Tell me about your choice and what the pros and cons are. I really, really appreciate it!

10. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Til it broke and left you stranded.

How many people do you see commuting to work in a 1941 Rolls Royce?

11. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Granted there are certain parts of the Mojave and NV where you pretty much have to stay within an airway corridor, but the SW is big and there are options. I used to live in the SW so no surprises.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I know...that's why it would be stupid and require stupid money. But I'd do that before a flew some Gulstream around. I'm not a cushy leather seat kind of guy. I like the smell of fuel, hydraulic fluid, heated electrical wiring, with a hint of puke, alcohol, and cigarette smoke. Fortunately no one else needs to ever fly with me.

13. cunim

cunim Rookie

Nov 18, 2010
    If you're serious about your personality type, how 'bout a T28? Most of the P51's performance (though not its sex appeal) with very little of its cost. I think a nice one is in the $250k range. Fairly reliable if you have a familiar mechanic. Lots of mechanics in the SW that can work on this airframe, or there used to be.

I remember about 50 gal/hr at about 150 kt on the ASI. 'Course, you'll start sucking 80/hr if you get frisky but no need to do that very often. Very sweet flying airplane and starting that 1500 hp radial is always a rush. You would have to accept that maintenance intervals are a bit less predictable.

Occurs to me that here we are on a Ferrari board telling someone to buy a Cirrus. Why does that feel wrong?

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What about a300hp glassair.

15. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That's what I was thinking.

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    ...because it is...for me.

That's why I mentioned commuting in a Mustang. I wouldn't do it for real even if I had the bucks because that's an airplane I wouldn't want to wear out flying point A to B. I'd fly the heck out of it, but not commuting. Still, it was a personality statement and meant to convey what I like. That's why, so far, I like the F1 Rocket and the Turbine Legend. I 'm starting to think the Legend may be a bit much as turboprop maintenance is way more expensive than for a piston.

Since my original post I did the miles math on my trips and monthly they include, on average, two round trips of 315NM, two R/T of 130NM, and one R/T of 230NM. I'm likely to do this for about the next five years. The F1, for example, would take the longest trip down from a 6.5 hour drive to a 1.5 hour flight. The other trips knock down to an hour or less flying from drives well over 3 hours.

Currently, I drive these trips every month. It's starting to seem stupid since I know how to fly and it's entirely business. As a further data point, I drive all of this in my Gen One Cayman S, and I love every mile. That's not a typical long haul commuter car. It's the time commitment I don't like. The Cirrus crowd are the ones who would be putting me in a 5 series Bimmer taxicab if I were asking about switching cars...

That said, I liked what the Cirrus does, so I'm not knocking the plane. It's fantastic. It's just not for me. It really is that simple...I commute in a small P car when most would do it in an Audi, BMW, or Merc.

I really like this thread and looking into all of your suggestions is a blast (starting Glassair search any moment...). Thanks for contributing!

17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sorry bros, Glasair ain't happening for me.

Owners: Jilin Hanxing Group

They even renamed the company Glasair Aircraft USA, LLC after buying it in 2012.

18. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There are 2 issues at play....

Time
    Money

I don't care how much money you have..... A P51 or anything like it is not going to be reliable to commute with. A Porsche Cayman is not a good analogy. It may be spartan but I'll bet it's never left you stranded.

19. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What's wrong with a Cirrus? Costs a lot more than any new Ferrari. Plenty of guys can afford a Ferrari. Very few a Cirrus.

20. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I agreed I would never commute a Mustang...

My point about me commuting in my CS is that Spartan and simple us fine with me. I can drive 500 miles in a CS. I don't need a Mercedes. So, by analogy, I'd probably be okay in a simple professionally built experimental. I don't need an auto pilot, color anything, EFIS of any kind, TCAS, leather seats, or a passenger seat wind bag.

21. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #48 jcurry, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Why didn't a T-34 work for you? Reasonably fast, somewhat aerobatic, and maybe just impractical enough?

I'd go for a Cessna 400 (or Columbia, or whatever they're calling it) for that mission all day long, given the parameters you've set out. But it might be too practical.

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    +1

Going from steam to glass is quite a game changer, especially with a good autopilot.

Mark