TRX Tires - Should have replaced 'em sooner | FerrariChat

TRX Tires - Should have replaced 'em sooner

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 400iGuy, Oct 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Took the 400iA to a C&C the Sunday before last. It was a great day, 70 mile round trip mostly on toll roads, so good cruising speeds. On the way home I was thinking "how long ago did I buy these TRX tires?" and decided to slow down a bit. Shortly after I heard a clunking and saw a chunk tread flying off in my mirror. It was the right rear. It held air so I slowly got off at the next exit and finished the trip home on a roll back. I took all four of them off today and found a bulge on the inside sidewall of the drivers front tire as well! The date codes show these tires were made in 2002!:eek: New TRX's to arrive from Coker this week. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso likes this.
  2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Rovexenius had a very similar horror story not so long ago (thread also separated from the nylon belt). It is a miracle that both of you did not experience a total loss of carcass integrity.

dedo tanzi likes this.
  3. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This story brings back a memory that has never left me nor my wife. We were driving a new NSX on a trip from Northern VA to our beach home in North Carolina. The vehicle was about 18 months old and had 7K miles at the time. Round trip distance was 600 miles. Before we left home, I gave the car a thorough examination, particularly the tires, and I was satisfied that they were in good shape.

When we returned home, I examined the tires and the damn belts were clearly visible on nearly all four tires. To state the obvious, I was stunned. It was then I learned of what the tire tread wear number on tires meant. The Yokohama's had a tread wear rating of 100. If I had known ahead of time of the significance of this dreadfully low number, I would have taken greater precautions.

The final leg of our journey home took us on Interstate 95 into Washington at a speed of 70 mph. A blowout would have been fatal to both of us.

Acura got hit with a class action suit on the tire issue, and I received certificates for three complete tire changes. This did nothing to change my opinion of Acura that they had tried to kill us.

Ultimately, because of a periodic failure in the ABS module every 3K miles, the vehicle was repurchased by Acura pursuant to Virginia's lemon law.

I learned to not take chances with tires.

Il Tifoso likes this.