Troubles with Ethanol? | FerrariChat

Troubles with Ethanol?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by CornersWell, Jun 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    All,

Did a quick search, but didn't find anything directly on point. Recently, my friend's 2004 760 BMW cut out at 70mph. At first, BMW declared it was a computer problem. After fixing the computer, during the dealer's test drive, it cut out again. Now they're replacing the fuel pump. BMW has told my friend that these problems are related to the 10% ethanol fuel we're sold. According to them, the BMW engine doesn't "like" the mixture, and that it's my friend's problem and not BMW's.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Any truth to this, or is it just BMW doing a CYA and trying to pass the problem onto the consumer? Moreover, if true, what does this say about BMW's engineering? And, according to BMW, ALL German motors (MBZ, Audi, Porsche, VW, etc.) have problems with ethanol mixes. How can this be?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

CW

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    what exactly does the computer do to the engine at precisely 70 mph? does it turn on extra cylinders or suddenly change the compression ratio or something?

seems fishy to me, but wtf do i know.

doody.

3. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    A 2004 car should be able to run on 10% or even 15% ethanol.

4. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    A 10% ethanol mix should have little if any effect on the car at all. The worst case scenario would be it running a hair lean on something super high reving, high compression, like an M3. A big luxo v12 cruiser should have no problems what so ever, let alone all out stalling the motor at highway speeds.

BMW is definitely stroking him on this one, and not in a good way.