Triumph Street Triple RX vs. MV Agusta Brutale 800 | FerrariChat

Triumph Street Triple RX vs. MV Agusta Brutale 800

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by walnut, Nov 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Have any of you been reading about the upcoming 2015 Triumph Street Triple RX? I've posted at least once before that I'm looking at buying a new motorcycle to replace my Buell when I get back stateside. I'd been almost completely sold on getting a MV Agusta Brutale 800 until I read about this. All sorts of bells and whistles in a gorgeous British bike (I was still considering a Street Triple R) with a great enhancement in the "looks" department over the current model. As I've been reading comparisons between the current Striple R and the MV 800 as well as other bikes in their class, the Striple R keeps coming out on top, by a good margin too.

Thoughts?

The fact that it is less likely to be problematic in the long run than the MV is a huge plus to me. People seem to like its suspension and throttle better as well as high speed stability. What it is lacking is about 18hp and its not quite as exotic or exciting to look at as the Brutale (yes, its silly, but that does matter to me) although the Daytona tail sitting on the RX seriously helps in my opinion. The other kicker is the price difference as even in the RX guise, the Triumph is a quite a bit less.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Brutale is a much sexier bike. However I think I would be more happy with the Triumph. i don't know about the 2015 Brutales but the older ones didn't have the refined fueling, great suspension, nor as good braking of the Triumphs.

I think the Triumph is more comfortable for taller riders too.

3. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I've owned a Brutale, and ridden Street Triples.

Both are more bike than I will likely ever use, as are most high end bikes. So if I'm not going to be able to push against the limits of either, I'm going to go with the more beautiful one, and the one that elicits the most emotion. In this case, the MV. Though I'd go with the Dragster RR personally.

If you're going to spend over $100k on a bike, may as well get a Vyrus.

4. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Have 2 Triumphs in my garage right now. Don't have any MV's. Poor dealership network for MV's.

5. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I have decided on the Triumph. Its just a matter of timing now. :D

6. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    And my timing sucks. I'm all ready to cut a check and have been informed that the RX is sold out for MY15 and will not be built in MY16. So I thought, ok, I could get an R in Crystal White (the color I like the best really) and convert the tail with a Daytona rear end as others have done to get the RX look (really the biggest difference) only to be told that the R is sold out for MY15 and I'd have to wait until MY16 to order a new one or possibly pick up an MY14 that hasn't sold yet. The MY14 isn't different than the MY15 aside from build year. I'm sure they might be a new MY15 R out there but not at any dealers near me.

I don't know what to do honestly. I started looking around at all the other options available only to find that most of the bikes I see over here that I like, are not sold in and cannot be imported into the US.

The other one that's got my attention is the Ducati 899 Paginale. I figure if I might have to wait to get something, might as well get the best, right? Its a completely different bike than what I'd been looking at, obviously. Supersport vs. naked sport bike (upright seating), Italian exotic vs. British workhorse.

Thoughts? I've got time and both fall into my budget with the 899 being a bit more than I wanted to spend which was an arbitrary amount anyways.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The other upside to finding a MY14 is that you should be able to get a nice discount if there are any available. I did this with the CBR I bought last year. I bought a brand new 2013 that was left over (identical to the 2014) and saved over $2K.

8. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's a very good point that'd crossed my mind. At this point, I think that instead of ordering anything with the intent to take delivery when I get home, I'm just going to wait and shop. If that means I have to wait even longer when I am ready to pull the trigger, then so be it. It'll take a month after I get home for my Buell to arrive and then I can ride it until whatever I decide on becomes available, even if that's in 2016, and trade it in.

How do you like your CBR? What size?

9. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Another option is the Ducati Streetfighter.

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10 Devilsolsi, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love it. It is a 2013 CBR 600. I have only owned CBR 600s actually. My first bike was a 2001 F4i. What sold me on this bike is the HRC paint scheme. It is so different than most other bikes out there. I think for 2015 they are only offering red and black.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login