Trickle charge 328 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trickle charge 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by LuigiVampa, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #26 mike996, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Re battery life, the battery in my 328, which was in the car when I purchased it in '08, lasted until '14 using the "disconnect the battery method" for storage. Since I don't know how long it was in there, I can only say that it lasted 6 years. It was a Costco battery. I replaced it with another Costco battery.

Obviously if you feel the need to have an alarm and/or other items on your 3x8 that must be powered when the car is not driven for extended periods, you must use a battery charger. As noted, they are often connected directly to the battery. The issue will be whether BOTH the pos and neg are directly connected to the batt. If the neg is not, then when you disconnect the quick-disconnect, there would be no power to the alarm,

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    In the above message I was unclear but it was too late to change the message when I realized it. When I said, "...you must use a battery charger. As noted, they are often connected directly to the battery." I realize that may be confusing, I was referring to the ALARM (or whatever) being directly connected to the battery.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Easiest way to run a battery tender on a 328 is through the cigarette lighter. The lighter socket is not switched, so it is always energized. Simple, and easy, and you will never forget to unplug and drive off, since the cable runs across the drivers seat. Not to worry about closing the door on the cord, the seals are quite thick and will collapse around it no problem.

jimpo1 likes this.
  4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I wouldn't get too wrapped up about which battery tender to use, they all work fine (though some can be more reliable than others). One consideration that IS important, is if you have regular power outages, some battery tenders do not automatically restart when power resumes, they require you to push a button to initiate the cycle. Some models will resume automatically...these are usually simpler versions without a lot of options or modes.

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima batteries are not recommended, they fail quite often and leak. Examples in these threads:
    Two examples in this thread https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/optima-red-top-34r-battery-not-recommended.614536/
    Another here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/leaking-optima-battery.383716/

JCR likes this.
  6. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't use them, I only understood that guys gets many years out of them,

cheers

7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I've always just dropped the window 1/4" & fed the cable through there.- lets a little air circulate through the car as well I think.