Tree Allergies | FerrariChat

Tree Allergies

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by msdesignltd, Apr 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Short of getting a shot...

Anyone have any advice for Tree Allergy sufferers..
    Never had any allergies up until the last 5 years..I get sore throat and runny nose. I have isolated the culprit to be certain tree pollens.
    Really sucks.

2. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Benadryl/Claritin/Zyrtec for over the counter relief or Flonase nasal spray which is prescription.

3. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #3 S Brake, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Beconase is the only stuff that works for me. It's a little pricey but it is liquid gold.

A quick read of the wikipedia page offers good advice.
    "Do not confuse with Baconnaise.":D

4. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I started taking Quercitin 3 years ago and have eliminated all allergies from grasses, pollen, and animals. It's a plant-derived flavonoid found in fruits, vegetables, leaves and grains that halts the production of histamine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin

Eliminating dairy and refined sugars helps immensely too.

Say what you want about natural this and that but truth of the matter is every drug has a side effect...esp the ones you shoot up your nose.

-Billy

5. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 msdesignltd, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

Where does one get this?? Sounds interesting

Quercitin is a water soluble bioflavonoid. A bioflavonoid is a pigment that is found in almost all plants, herbs, fruits and vegetables. They help to provide anti-inflammatory and antioxidant protection. It is the most powerful and very effective herbal anti-inflammatory on the market.

Quercitin is used to help prevent some inflammatory conditions from developing, and to prevent free radical cellular damage. Arthritis, allergies, macular degeneration and heart diseases are some of the conditions quercitin can help to prevent. Gout and various forms of cancer can also be prevented. Cancer is prevented by blocking the flow of nutrients and oxygen to cancer cells.

Quercitin benefits

Quercitin is also a phytoestrogen meaning that it mimics the effects of estrogen on the human body. When obtained from citrus fruit, quercitin can reduce the growth rate of breast cancer cells by 50%. In studies with animals, it has been shown to slow the growth of prostate, breast and lung cancer cells.

The nutrient is used to treat allergies by blocking the productions of histamines in the body. Inflammation that causes swollen joints increases the production of collagen, and fibronectin, for healthy joints and skin. It is found in cosmetic products. It may also help speed up the healing of wounds.

Sources of quercitin

There are many sources of quercitin including most plant foods. Black tea, broccoli, onions, and red apples are just a few of them. It comes in the form of concentrated powder, tablet, and capsule form. It is often packaged with Bromelaine, an enzyme found in pineapple, and is useful for the treatment of allergies and inflammation. It is believed to help the absorption of quercitin.

Further quercitin benefits

Bioflavonoids are potent nutrients that help to maintain Collagen. Collagen is responsible for the firmness and health of our lagest physical organ -- our skin. Wrinkles and skin lines is actually caused by the breakdown of Collagen.
    Quercitin, as well as other bioflavanoids, also improves the health of capillaries and connective tissues. Due to this abaility, the many quercitin benefits include alleviating bruising, edema, varicose veins, and fragile capillaries.
    Other benefits of quercitin are that it has an ability to gradually stop the release of histamine. Because of this, the nutrient may help to help conditions brought on by some type of allergy (ex. eczema, asthma, hay fever, etc) and has been said to harbor anti-inflammatory properties. Quercitin has also been said to help with prostate cancer or is there no concrete evidence of this at the current time of writing, this is however promising.

Precautions and side effects

There are some precautions to be taken if you are considering taking quercitin. Those taking anticoagulants should be cautious with this supplement, because quercitin could intensify the effects of these medications, resulting in blood that is too thin. Its water solubility allows excess quercitin to be passed in urine.

There are some side effects when taking this supplement. You may experience head aches, tingling sensations, and in some cases, it can actually turn and become pro-oxidant.

Because the nutrient it is not an essential nutrient, the Recommended Daily Allowance has not been set for this nutrient.

However, according to many studies, there doesn't seem to be much of an issue as regards toxicity with quercitin.

We suggest staying on the side of caution however, we would advise against taking mega-doses -- 500 mgs or above would be classed as mega doses.

A simple dosage of around 50 mgs and 150 mgs seems to be the safest and best option.
    As we always suggest, woman who are nursing or pregnant should always talk with their physician before beginning any new dietary supplementation.

Our Tips on Choosing a Supplement - Quercitin benefits

1. Dietary supplements in the U.S. are unregulated and consumers have had only a 1 in 5 chance of buying a product that contains the actual ingredients stated.. Because of this industry wide problem, people should choose a manufacturer that is pharmaceutical GMP compliant. These facilities comply with the most stringent manufacturing standards, to eliminate the possibility of harmful contaminants and to also make sure that you are getting the amount of ingredients you actually paid for.

2.. Be sure the product does not contain any fillers or additives (examples include: sugar, starch, gluten, silica (sand!) or any artificial colors or flavors of any kind.

3. Quercitin works synergistically with Vitamin C, meaning the nutrients work together, they need each other so that they can do their job effectively. Together, they maintain the health of collagen and the health enzyme Bromelain enhances quercitin's absorption within the body. Because of this, all three nutrients should be taken together. Also importantly to note - Is that it is best to take the nutrient with other prominent bioflavonoids, hesperidin and rutin. This will give you the best possible health benefits which are what we are looking for.

The product we personally use called Total Balance [http://dan.xtend-life.com/product_detail.php?product_id=3&lang_id=1&menu_id=&id=796051] is the best supplement we have come across. We have been using this supplement for over 3 years with excellent health results.

We highly reccomend you take a further look in to our supplement of choice [http://dan.xtend-life.com/product_detail.php?product_id=3&lang_id=1&menu_id=&id=796051] if you are interested in improving your overall health.

John Gibb is the owner of a series of health sites. Check out Quercitin benefits, to view the alternative health supplement we personally use with excellent health results.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=John_Gibb

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just picked up a bottle from GNC...sounds worth a try..
    Will do

Thanks
    Michael

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #7 Schatten, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    If any of you are anticipating attending the F1 Austin event in 2012, start finding a solution to these tree allergies now. Austin is a wonderful city, but sometimes my allergies act up where I am unable to breathe. Winter & Spring is the worst part. Right now, I can barely breathe through one nostril.

Will be watching this thread for suggestions like others.

What I currently use is allertec, it's the costco generic of zertec. It's cheap, but it also does not include the decongestant. They have an allertec-d but it is a bit more. The gf and I buy a pack of two bottles and it lasts us a year - taking one each day.

8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    ATTENTION ALLERGY SUFFERERS..
    STOP WHAT YOU ARE TAKING RIGHT NOW, TRY THIS...

I posted here on Thursday..I was truly in a bad state, as The over the counter medications had me all messed up in the brain depo..
    When I read Billys post, I would have tried anything but taking another claritan or Zyrtec..

Well I went out and purchased a bottle of Quercitin ...

OMG....OMG....OMG...............within 12 hours I felt a vast improvement...within 36 hours 100% improvement..

No BS...For me this recommendation means the world as my allergies effect more than my sinus...It effects my respiration...and the pace of my heartbeat..I could not run or bike without rapid degradation of my stamina..

For me this cannot be fluke as the pollen count has climbed in the past 3 days..
    Also I have been taking it in conjunction with Vit. C

Billy...I owe you!

Thank You!
    Michael

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You need to write for infomercials, that was spot on.

How much is the stuff? My Beconase is about $60 and it lasts 1.5 years.

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'll give anything a shot. Did the same. Thanks for the review. *crossing fingers*

11. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #11 msdesignltd, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    I am on my 5th day..not even a sneeze...and no side effects.
    I take it with 1000 Vitamin C as well

before, I rubbed my eyes so much they were bruising..my nose would run like a fire hose , and my throat felt like tonsilitis..

I really am in shock that it worked for me...my wife is on it as well, same results.
    I truly thought that I would have to move to Arizona later in life...

replanning my strategy now!!!!!

12. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 msdesignltd, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  13. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I was planning to go out and buy my normal round of medication for allergies as mine are just starting when I read this. I'm going to pick it up today and give it a try, hopefully it works as well for me as it did for you. I'll report back in a few days.

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interesting..

Cant wait to see if others results are as mine.

Still , no sneezing ..or discomfort...Walked to work today, Through Central Park!

15. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Glad to hear it!

Stay on it year round. A couple in the morning on an empty stomach. I combine it with Bromelain....another anti-inflammatory.

-Billy

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ok...Is it your Joints that bother you as well?

You will be my Guru soon , no doubt!

17. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    No joint problems at all but I do take a supplement as preventative maintenance to aid in the reparation process due to the amount of resistance training I do.

http://www.vrp.com/public/QLOnline/productindex?portal:componentId=15288670&portal:type=render&portal:isSecure=false&typeOfIndexSelectedProduct=name&currentProduct=Nutri-Joint

Nutri-Joint combines the clinically tested ingredients, backed by cutting edge research, that support ease of joint movement. Here’s how Nutri-Joint works to help keep you enjoying the activities you love.*
    Chondroitin sulfate:
    Helps promote cartilage health*
    Helps increase the lubricating fluid around joints*
    Type II collagen (hyaluronic acid):
    Supports your body’s formation of new cartilage*
    Helps keep joints well cushioned*
    Supports joint lubrication*
    Works synergistically with glucosamine*
    Other proven ingredients
    Glucosamine helps promote healthy joint function and improve flexibility*
    MSM, vital to the composition of joints, cartilage, skin, hair and nails, helps promote joint comfort and works synergistically with glucosamine*

-Billy

18. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have tried my share of fish oils Flax seed oil, condroitin glucosamine , just dont notice any change...not that I would..just a leap of faith I guess.
    E works for me.
    so does Iron.
    Ester C and multi B's are my stable.
    Now I have added Quercetin...
    Thanks!

Whata ya recommend for mental focus...

DAhhhhhh...you know prevention of Alzheimers!

19. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    SO far, so good. I've only sneezed a few times a day and haven't been been blowing my nose like I would be if I were taking nothing. Now if I could only find something like this that worked for itchy eyes.

20. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Amazing Find..simply amazing...

2 weeks now and It has changed my world!

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Here's my update -

So far, not much of an improvement. It just isn't doing it for me. Perhaps I need to up the ante from 500mg to twice a day instead of once a day? I still have breathing issues, sneezing issues and all of that. But it can also be my environment. Even if I'm allergic to cats, I'll live with the ailment. It's also high pollen season here in Austin, usually so thick it covers you in seconds of leaving your front door. Changing sheets/pillowcases and clothes often helps.

Also, 325mg of Quercitin is in a can of FRS drinks. They are a bit costly, but do provide a natural energy source that doesn't include coffee breath. I recently found a bundle of them at Big Lots - $3 per four pack.

22. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Sorry to hear Randy.
    I've had a few pm's on this so I'll share. Remember, I was in the same boat as you about 7 yrs ago.

I take 1000mg of Quercitin and 500mg of Bromelain daily. During 'the season' I up that to 1500mg and 750mg resp. or do two bouts daily. I am not worried about too much or toxicity since they are natural derivatives of fruit and water soluble vit's.

Take on an empty stomach first thing in the morning with a high grade green tea and eat nothing for about 30 min.

AND, as stated above, you need to get a lot of water in you to keep the lung's ability to push that pollen out strong.

55 gallons of blood pass through the lungs daily...crazy huh?
    I am at a gallon of water a day... with green tea incl.

Eliminate dairy, a pro-mucolitic, refined sugars, immune system havoc-wreaker, and grains/starch, pro-inflammatories.

Hope that helps.

-Billy

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Good tips. I'll up the ante to 1000mg a day. I do drink lots of water and recently started drinking La Croix which has zero carbs and zero everything, but it satisfies that urge for soft drinks.

24. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    La Croix...me too! ...same reasons. Pampelmousse? Funny!

25. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Highest Pollen count in History recorded yesterday in tri state area..

They said that years ago, 1500 would have sent people into respiratory distress...

My Thanks To Billy again..other than a few short lived eye rubbing,
    sneezing sniffling incidents...

I am Cured..

It beyond comprehension...how this has changed my world..

Thanks again!
    Michael