transmission weight | FerrariChat

transmission weight

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WarrenF355, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    has anyone here ever shipped a 4l60-e transmission or know the gross weight off the top of the head for any reason?

i ask because i recently shipped 2 of them and was told the gross weight was over 400lbs. I know this can't be correct because my 52 year old mother picked one of them up herself and moved it... I had no trouble lifting it and carrying it back and forth several times, and believe me, i'm quite out of shape.

I regularly lift 100-150lb boxes at my work, and I'm positive that the transmission didnt weight anymore than that, I'm guessing in the 100-120lb range.

The shipping cost came to a total of $474.15, whereas the last time I had one shipped it cost only $85.00, which i assume would turn into $170 for two, but nowhere near $500.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Another guess here, 120 lbs. or so. I don't think they're much heavier than that, but I could be wrong, haven't picked one up in a year or so.

3. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    i chatted with the manufacturer and the gross dry weight is 150lbs. looks like the shipping company is trying to take me for a ride-- pun most definitely intended.