Traded one clothes hanger for another | FerrariChat

Traded one clothes hanger for another

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GrigioGuy, Sep 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #1 GrigioGuy, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I had a garage sale a few weeks ago, and sold the Bowflex and the ElliptiKILL.

That gave me enough money (almost!) to buy this

It's a brand new 2007 Fuji Professional 3.0, all carbon and other goodness. My buddy J has been trying to get me into this for a while. This poor thing was sitting dusty at the bike shop, and since the 2009s are almost out and the 2008s on discount, I got a pretty good deal on it. All together it weighs 20 lbs.

Took an easy 11.25 mile ride on it right after I bought it, 15 today, will have to work up to real distances. I also got the geeky padded shorts, helmet and a jersey. No, I will NOT be posting pics.

edit: it came with clipless pedals, I'm not ready to deal with those yet, so I have flats on it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Cool. My bike is actually coming out to see use again. It was hidden in the garage behind my Nordic Trac, errrrr clothes hanger! ;)

3. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #3 1_can_dream, Sep 9, 2008
    Nice bike! Here's what I've been riding and training on. It isn't fancy and carbon but it gets the job done. Saving up my pennies for some clipless pedals and shoes hopefully soon.

Edit: I also have the shorts and shirt and whatnot that may or may not be posted in the future haha :)

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  5. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I love those bikes. Clipless pedals still freak me out too.

6. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    #6 tjacoby, Sep 20, 2008
    Congrats - I picked up mine after Christmas, also a brand-new dusty model (2006 though). I just had an extended demo of some aero wheels. But after flatting twice in two rides I've had it with Tubulars for a while, back to clinchers. But wow are they fast - maybe 15% faster on descents; makes a difference @ 35-40mph! Wearing tight fitting clothes, like those geeky shorts and jersey is good for up to 30% efficiency, so let the others laugh :D. the helmet is vital (don't ask!).

The clip-on pedals are good, but get a professional fitting for the cleats before locking your shoes in; can do a fair bit of damage to yourself if you're not aligned properly. I've found I had to fall a few times before the clip-on pedals make sense to the brain :)

Here's mine with the aero wheels on it. Keep it up, it gets a lot easier, and a lot faster!

7. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Very nice bike! I've never tried the tubulars, but from the stories I've read they're not necessarily much better than clinchers at least when you get into the 800-1000$ sets of wheels.

If you think people laugh at you in the shorts and jersey just see their reaction when you tell them what you spent on those two water bottle cages ;)

8. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Thanks! I was running Bontrager RaceLite rims with RaceXLite tires before these bad boys - and the difference is very noticeable. Totally understand now why the pro's run Tubulars exclusively. Much like Ultra High Perf tires on an Fcar vs affordable High Perf tires. I think the wheels retail for $3,500 for the pair up here in Canada.

cages? I had no choice, they've got red accents stripes on 'em :D

But, <sigh>, I heard "It's not about the bike". (For the others; that was the title of one of Lance Armstrong's books)

9. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    What's the costs to get into this sport? I always enjoyed riding just not competitive riding... well maybe in the future who knows. I'm also always looking for another way to get my cardio done.

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I would love to post my custom bike here, but it is truly a one-off. I probably don't need teh internets knowing what I have in my basement.

11. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    depends how you want to ride; a decent road bike is about $1-2k. $3k buys something you can comfortably race and climb with. Don't ask what I've spent since buying the bike, but it is less than the 348's maintenance (hmm, maybe not!). Our group just did an easy 50 miles @ 20-25mph, 1,900 calories burned! Starting to prep for the '09 racing season.

As mentioned, now's the season to start getting some great deals.

12. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Wow, I'm not ready to spend 1k on a sport that I'm not sure I will continue with. I'm just looking to get my feet into the water.

13. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Then buy what you can afford until you know what you want to do;
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046#Features+%26+Specifications
    $158 from Walmart is likely a throwaway bike imo, but would get you started and learning.

I'm 44 yo and definitely in the mid-life crises field (the fastest growing racing group by the way).

14. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN

I'm ok with the 500 to 800 dollar range. I want something that's going to last. I'm afraid if I go to cheap I'll just get turned off to the sport. We have some incredible rolling hills here in Tennessee that just scream to be ridden.

15. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I began with a $500 Mountain Bike (Kona Blast) - it had the gearing to get up our mountains here when I started off without legs, and let me play on the trails. take a walk through a local bike shop, a good one will let you test ride, or even rent rides.

Most important bit is getting a bike that fits, is fitted to you, and is made for the type of riding you're interested in doing. It's great Cardio, and lots of great people out there (including ladies :), unlike the car scene).

16. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I spent 600$ on the bike that I posted being a college student I wasn't ready (or able) to purchase one of the 1k$+ bikes and it works perfectly fine. Go to your local bike store and get fitted on one of the entry level bikes. Best thing is since it's the end of the season you should be able to get a pretty good deal and knock some money off a 2008 model. Like TJ said the most important thing is the bike fit. Make sure it fits to you and you'll be much happier on it.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Honestly, not much. I have a bike on a budget. Old 80's Schwinn Prologue steel bike (absorbs a lot of vibrations). I've replaced the wheels for a few hundred bucks. They lighten up things a bit. Replaced a chain and cassette, that's about it. Get fitted, and figure out what works best for your body. You might want to start with something used (craigslist?) and see how well it works for you, flip it if it doesn't work out.

Shorts - essential, and you gotta be a brand snob and get some Pearl Izumis, they are worth it. They just make them right.
    Shirt - doesn't matter, so long as it breathes, or easily wicks away. I have several jerseys, but don't use them unless I'm doing an event.
    Shoes - essential for clipless. Estimate 110-140 for a pair of GOOD shoes. Remember you are buying this tool once! They last quite a while. I picked up a year end close out on some LG's.
    Helmet - don't get one off the net, just get one at a store. It is important that it fits your head. Medium is not the same medium for Bell or Giro. Even models vary in size and shape in how they fit.

Two years ago, I didn't have a bike, but it was the best investment I made. Forget the trainer - it gets boring. Sold that after a few months. I do have cold weather clothing for the few weeks of winter.

The great thing about biking out there, when you hit long distances, you start to learn about your body and how to conserve energy.