Tracking Your Ferrari is a MUST!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tracking Your Ferrari is a MUST!!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by klointheridge, May 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hear day-glo Mustangs work much better for that.;)

2. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Wait what's the point of owning one if you aren't going to track it? ;)

klointheridge likes this.
  3. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Haha. Exactly my point!

stibbett likes this.
  4. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Tru dat!

Interestingly the Mustang is about 10 secs quicker around Sebring than the 458 (not fair comparing a GT4 race car to a street car, but shows how much better the brakes and handling are on a race car. The Fcar had much more HP and top speed but a race car kills it in the braking and cornering).

My experience of tracking my fcar around Sebring is what got me hooked -- ended up buying a race car ... :)

action-ant and klointheridge like this.
  5. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    BTW I love how in the pic you can see how hard the brakes are on with the nose almost touching the ground and the reduced ride high in front wheel wells and extra space or rear wheel clearance. 150 mph down to 45 mph in a couple secs.

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Before the repaving last year (or is it two years ago now?) I would actually scrape the nose on the ripples in the pavement under hard braking. Again, a product of using a ‘compromise’ car.

If I stiffened it up to be better on track, it would shake my teeth loose on city streets. As it is, it’s half-way stiff, and the front chin looks like a set of redneck teeth, to continue the image, with chips knocked out here and there.

Oh, and on street tires, I might hit 150 down the back straight into 17, but I think I only ever hit 130 ish into 7. (Turn 5 is my own personal demon, and the only place at Sebring where I have been off track repeatedly without mechanical failure of some sort. Son of a *****!)

klointheridge and Ky1e like this.
  7. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Me too!! I had my car raised 15mm for my track session bc it was ridiculously low and it never scraped (that I noticed w a helmet on and instructor in my ear) and is so much better on the crappy roads where I live in NY. I have shoes on her anyway to take the scrapes.

Brake boiling aside (thankfully didn’t happen to me)...I was so impressed with my brakes...screaming down a big straight and being able to jump on the brakes downhill into a 90 degree turn was so awesome. And my Pilot Sport 4S tires were great.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Do you have the Global Mustang GT4?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A little off topic, but related to previous posts regarding race cars vs road cars.
    On a clear track (or with all cars closely matched) the race car will achieve times untouchable by the more powerful road car, for the reasons mentioned.
    However when there is some traffic of slower cars the road car can be at least very close, since the time lost is more easily recovered (in the straight lines, obviously) by the more powerful car (which also overtakes the slower cars more easily).
    At Magny-Cours with some traffic (even not much, just one or two overtakings in a lap) I could follow a Radical with my 488 - I am pretty sure it would have put me a lot of full seconds behind if timing both of us on clear laps.
    By the way this is also true about more track oriented cars, a GT3 RS (with its dedicated track set up and tyres) would post a better time than the 488 GTB on regular tyres on most tracks, although being significantly slower in the straight lines. Factor some traffic in the equation though, and the most powerful car manages better times.
    Of course if the drivers do not have equivallent skills, any result is possible :)

10. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    No the VOLT Racing Mustang GT4. I race in the IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series (Full season) plus will do a couple Pirelli World Challenge events (did VIR and will do Road America)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's easier to get into real racing then you think! I'd be happy to help if the unknown is what's stopping you.

I understand there is that convenience. There are plenty of arrive and drive services available. Often many will maintain and prep an owners car and transport it to the track. After driving real race cars, then renting a 458 for a couple of laps, I've had no desire to take my 458 on the track. There's just no thrill in it after driving purpose built cars wheel to wheel.

Attached is a video from when I rented a 458 for 3 laps around Blackhawk Farms. I over drove it, but I only had 3 laps and wanted to get my moneys worth. Funny thing was when I came in after the 3 laps, the brakes were all smoking. Everyone gathered around, scratched their heads, and said they've never seen someone return it with the brakes smoking.

Formula Uno, Ky1e and klointheridge like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    :)
    Regarding the brakes, I've seen that quite a few times - that's why cool down laps are strongly advised.

speedsport likes this.
  13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I spent the better part of 20 years trying motivate the AZ Ferrari club poseurs to participate in a track day. I gave up when a member suggested we bring a massage therapist, a detail service and a caterer to encourage participation. I just go have fun with other clubs and instruct. Much less hair pulling.

crinoid and wiley355 like this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Chasing a Radical at Magny-Cours F1 :D

[​IMG]

15. ml65

ml65 Karting

Jun 22, 2009
    Farmingdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Mike L.
    At the recommendation of my mechanic who preps race Fcars, racing brake fluid was put in the system, no worries now.

klointheridge likes this.
  16. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Did he spin out?

17. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I totally get it. And that’s what I’m trying to avoid and the point of the post. I don’t know how to get more people to do it just yet...but tracking my car...I can’t wait to do it again and I want other fcar owners to try it.

18. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    I know exactly what your talking about! It's a different lifestyle at the track vs being at a nice comfy restaurant. However Circuits of the Americas is very nice.

19. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Did you happen to have an oopsie at Mosport turn 2? July 2017

20. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#45 Metastable, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Here are my kids.

However - why not track a Ferrari...... because motorcycles lean the right way! :D
    Mosport knee down at turn 2........ priceless. I have not ridden the track after the repave... must be nice not having huge concrete strips.

21. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I guess a helpful thing would be inexpensive front wrap of some kind.
    I’m heading to my second event next month July 6,7th to Sonoma for first time on track there and second time on track with new car.

crinoid and Boomhauer like this.
  22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Absolutely do front end 1/2 the hood and mirrors and around wheel wells - kept my Scud in there ten yrs I have had it with track use Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You also want to do around the two upper and lower intakes
    Some people don'y like 1/2 hood but thats all you need - I'm an old timer and I'm just used to it
    Enjoy

Makuono and Manda racing like this.
  24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What group is going to sonoma?

25. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    SpeedSF is having the event and they have given POC cup racers a dedicated run group also. Two day $700

Motorsportreg

If this wasn’t on my bucket list I’d be going to the July 7th Buttonwillow David Kan event. $300