Track day DB limits - is it possible to keep the valves shut? | FerrariChat

Track day DB limits - is it possible to keep the valves shut?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Rabies, Apr 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    I have an F12 with Capristo X-pipe, rear boxes and remote. It is pumping out about 107db in a static noise test as, even with the remote set to quiet, the valves still open above about 3,500 RPM. The noise limit at the track is 102db.

Is it possible to stop the valves from opening? I know some people get the pinned open but can you set them not to open? Is this fundamentally a bad idea for the engine?

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I’ve had the same issue at Goodwood. I’m surprised yours is that loud with stock cats (unless you’ve changed them?) since that’s where the real volume uplift comes from.

i don’t think it’s a good idea to try to pin valves closed. Lots of extra back pressure at high revs sounds like a bad idea. A few thoughts;

- ask the track if they can be flexible. Some tracks are more relaxed and will let you run a few laps. Or they will tell you where the noise sensors are so you can lift off
    -certain tracks have higher noise limits. I don’t know which but wouldn’t be too hard to research
    - can you put in wet mode so the valves open later? Might help you pass the test?

pls keep me posted as this is an issue for me too. I have an 812 with sports cats and it’d fail the noise next

3. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Thanks for the comments/suggestions. As far as I know, it is not de-catted. The event is a private afternoon/evening slot at Brands so the limit may be different than for standard track days. I am going to phone and check the limit and then take the car down there for them to run a static test. Will let you know the results.

4. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    So just popped down to Brands Hatch and the scores on the doors are, valves open 110db and valves closed (even with the manetino in wet mode) 107db.
    So given it's a 102db limit as its an evening session (105 during the day), it's a fail. Apparently air time might help (it was relatively cold today at 12C) but only a couple of db drop with 20C plus. Any ideas anyone?

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    These noise limits are becoming true pains in the ... now - we have the same issue in France, so that we cannot drive on the road (due to speed limits) nor on tracks (due to noise limits). Some tracks are becoming impossible to use, for others there are some "free noise" days in the year.

6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I don't see any short term solution here. As mentioned, worth checking out other track days with more liberal rules. I would check if your car has standard cats and if not, consider putting those back on. In my experience, the F12 and 812 with standard cats won't trip the noise meters. For reference, my 812 SF failed the static noise test at Goodwood, I think it measured 107 db, but that had 100 cell sports cats.

7. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Great thanks for the info - might just speak to the wife and ask nicely if I can have another car for track days!

8. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Took it down to the guys at Scuderia Sports Cars - car still has the standard cats, just has the Capristo x-pipe and rear boxes. They said the x-pipe is an easy swap but would only save about 2-3 db (so still marginal). The rear box would save more but I don't have the originals as the Capristo kit was already on the car when I bought it and the rear box swap more involved. So can't be arsed with that. On the plus side, Silverstone has a 105db drive by limit (rather than static) so I will just have to take it there rather than Brands as it will make that easily.

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  10. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Thanks for the info. The limit at each circuit depends upon the event and each circuit has various 'quotas' - the 102 limit shown on the website is for 'public' track days. Other events can have differing limits. I would still be way under for a drive by even if the event limit was 102 db.