Track Car for Under $50k | FerrariChat

Track Car for Under $50k

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Steveinfl, Dec 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Thinking about getting a dedicated track car (but must be street legal) to drive to the track and then have fun with. Considering a Cayman S (2014 - 2016) .. need to be around $50k or under.

Any ideas?

I used to track very often about 20 years ago - getting back into it now, so consider me a novice. Straight line speed not important to me at all (spec Miata kind of thing is all good!)...just want great handling and FUN!

Thanks in advance.

360Tom likes this.
  2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    At $50K you have quite a few options and you don't necessarily need to spend all of it either. From a vehicle choice perspective there are some considerations:

1. Rear wheel drive. Pretty much a must for a track toy

2. Manual transmission. Not a necessity and yes it is not ultimately the fastest but especially on a low to mid powered car it offers the most fun and engaging driving experience.

3. Cost of tires and brakes. This will be your biggest expense so be sure to research these before committing to a car. A Corvette may seem like a great option on paper but the consumables costs can be enormous compared to other choices

4. Weight. Look for the lightest car you can find. You can add all the power in the world but you can never replace lightweight.

Given these considerations my track car recommendations would be:

1. Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ / Toyota GT86. Pretty much all the same car and a lovely track package. Whatever you do don't modify it unless you are willing to spend a lot of money to add significant power. This car is incredibly good out of the box but if you try to start putting bigger wheels or stickier tires you will find that it becomes over 'tired' and you ruin the experience.

2. Porsche Cayman S. Most generations would be a good choice. Early cars can be had quite cheap and with minimal prep you can have a great track car for closer to $20K that does not hurt too much if you have an accident.

3. Mazda Miata. The default option. Great handling but incredibly slow. Awesome for a beginner but as you get on the lack of speed really gets to you.

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    While a Corvette C6 may not inspire, a nice 427 version would run well on the track and behave nicely on the road. Cheaper to keep than a Porsche. A truly excellent version can be had for under $50k.

JOEV, gto4me1968 and Steveinfl like this.
  4. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I'd consider an e46 M3. Rear wheel drive, manual gearbox. Good balance of power, brakes and handling.

Relatively cheap buy-in so there'd be a lot left over for further suspension work and consumables.

tantumaude and Steveinfl like this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Manual or paddles? If paddles your options drop dramatically. IMO any car that is a streetcar means you intend to drive it on the street. I'm long past 3 pedals in the street because where I live traffic is 27/7. I do keep a 3 pedal 550 maranello but it is the last 3 pedal I will ever own. I even race a paddle shift car. I do not miss heel/tow downshift and left foot braking pedal dance.

I would buy the car based on how close to reliably track ready. There is only 1 track ready streetcar and that's the GT3 porsche. Everything else needs cooling system upgrades. Every paddle car needs more trans cooling. Then you have to look at additional model specific needs like a C5/6 corvette has get brakes.

The newer the car the less breakdowns and work you have to do on it and the better the OEM safety systems.

20 years safety has improved greatly. Most do not stay OEM safety lots because with your experience you know just being well planted in the seat is worth seconds a lap not sliding around. How far will you go? 4 pt schroth ASM quickfit harness only fit a few cars? 6pt Harness? Harness bar? Harness bar tuss? 4 pt 1/2 cage? Race seat? Containment seat? Caged HPDE car? A lowly C5 corvette is good for 160mph at Daytona. If you don't fabricate what aftermarket safety stuff is readily available for that car?

mdrums, VAF84 and Steveinfl like this.
  6. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Yeah - This is certainly a concern. 20 years ago I was mister heel/toe...now, I'm not sure I want to bother. I think I'd rather just focus on the mechanics of learning how to really drive properly than worry about my non coordinated monkey feet and missing a shift etc. I already have enough issues playing golf!

So - I think paddles are what I'm looking for - although, amazingly (I did NOT know this)...the cayman S with sport chrono - 6 speed manual does rev matching when you put the clutch pedal in!! That is super cool. So, I think I could deal with a manual that eliminates the heel/toe need.

I know everyone will just say - get over it - you'll learn to heel toe quickly. And, that's a valid point I'm sure. So...I'm still on the fence.

7. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Vette C7's and some other modern manuals come with rev matching if you don't want to worry about heel and toe and still want a manual.

Steveinfl likes this.
  8. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    I had no idea that was a thing...

9. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    For what it is worth I went the Corvette C7 Grand Sport route, good friends went the GT4 and the GT3RS route so I am very familiar with those but they are in a little higher price bracket. I agree with the above that the GT3RS is pretty much the only out of the box track car but the Grand Sport is close, the only thing you really need to change are the brake pads.

I ended up putting girodisc rotors on the car, carbotech pads (XP12/10) and SRF brake fluid. I have two sets of stock wheels for flexibility and do all the work myself so the consumable “all in” is very reasonable.

008, Steveinfl, EastMemphis and 2 others like this.
  10. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Lots of good information here, but one question I always ask is why do you want to run track days? Because the answer will do a lot to narrow down your choices. And though your motivation may very well change over time, it's important to know going in.

My three guesses why people run track days: 1) they want to drive fast and pass people (maybe impress their friends with rides), 2) they sincerely want to increase their driving skills to make them better street drivers, or 3) race preparation or they want to get a taste of the track before committing to racing.

Tangent: you already said that it will be a dedicated track car that must also be street legal to drive to the track. That is an important distinction between someone who requires street legal-ness because they intend to drive the car quite a bit on the street. In your case, you can have a very stiff suspension, low ride height, harness bar/half-roll cage, etc.

There has been good feedback above on consumables. We know your initial budget, but how much are you willing to spend per weekend? At the end of each season?

The other good point mentioned was race-readiness. Do you want to be able to write a check and drive or are you willing to track-prep a car. If you're willing to do modifications, then all sorts of possibilities open up.

Anyway, you are an experienced track driver so I'm sure you've thought about these things. With more information from you, maybe we can provide feedback that is more tailored to your particular situation.

Just FWI, in my case, I thought it all through and gave up on track days in favor of arrive-and-drive days at the old Skip Barber. Fly in, drive cars, fly home. No wrenching, no towing and limited crash damage liability. After they closed, I hooked up with a 24 Hours of Lemons race team and that's what I'm doing now. I highly recommend it or Champ Car. You just need to find two or three good guys who will dependably split the work and costs. Bonus points if any of them already have a truck, trailer or somewhere to store the car.

Steveinfl likes this.
  11. gto4me1968

gto4me1968 Rookie

Nov 29, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    Our family does vintage racing (although we also have some modern race toys too). There are a lot of good comments on here and a lot for consideration.

I've gone down the rabbit hole many times on buying just a "fun track day car" but have yet to pull the trigger because my son (who also races) keeps reminding me about the safety side of things - particularly roll protection. In my searches, I have found very little that matches the affordability and reliability of the C6 and C7 Corvette. Yes, I have owned a few C6's (loved them) and have tracked a C7 (loved it). The C7 automated rev matching is real but weird since I'm used to doing that on my own. For reference, we have raced Chevy, BMW, Ferrari and a couple prototypes so we know about cost/maintenance/driver feel. They all have their own features and provide different experiences so it comes down to your goals.

I would pick affordable, reliable and safe (not necessarily in that order) and go have some fun!

Steveinfl likes this.
  12. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    I think for me it's #2 and a bit of just enjoying driving fast and experiencing the capabilities of a great sports car where it's safer to do so. I have no desire to actually "race" and I don't care about measuring myself against anyone else but me...so passing and impressing people aren't important to me (ahh the benefits of age).

So - to be very specific ...I would keep this car in Hilton Head SC...and I want to be able to drive to AMP (furthest) and other tracks perhaps...in the area....drive hard for a day or two and drive back home. I would want to do this maybe...10-12 ish x per year.

That's the "mission" for this car...so I'm not terribly worried about consumables etc...and their cost as it's not that much actual hard use.

For more info, my current F-car is a 2019 488 GTB that have zero interest in tracking.

Thanks for all the thought and info on this!

VAF84 likes this.
  13. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I think you're on the right track (pun intended) considering a Cayman. For a paddle shift car a Cayman with PDK would be a great choice. Because it's mid-engine that will help translate over to the driving dynamics of your 488.

Steveinfl likes this.
  14. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Yeah - I kind of feel like it's a no brainer really. For what I want to use it for.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You raised a smart son! I just watched Ferrari "race to immortality." It was about Ferrari drivers who died in Ferraris of the "killing years". If any of those drivers were in a modern Honda Civic, I bet 90% would have survived! I would love the casual atmosphere of racing vintage but I have a problem with the safety of the cars. I like the chassis safety of modern cars and about every 10 years race something new off a dealer lot to get the latest in chassis safety before welding my cage. When I built by 1st racecar the talk was "X" bars supporting Cage A&C piller elements in tension for driver protection. My 2nd build was NASCAR bars designing a cage for elements in compression with support at sill plate or sill tube. My 3rd and current build combines NASCAR bars with intrusion plate and IMPAXX crash attenuation foam. Safety systems, both OEM and "racing", have to improve because the cars are getting faster and handle better with higher cornering speeds. 1984 C4 corvette 200HP. 1997 C5 corvette 350HP. 2006 corvette 400HP. 2014 corvette 460hp.

Right now my compromise is racing a 2019 mustang GT. I like the big huge interior cabin for my custom full containment seat.

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Cayman is a great track car. Better off to trailer it though. Then you can run slicks, and a real stiff suspension. And if something breaks, easier to get home. Also, pay attention to the oil system as I don't believe it's a true dry sump. There are parts you can get to upgrade the system.

Steveinfl likes this.
  17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    lotus elise is best cheap track car. every thing you touch from steering to pedals, shifter, is perfect. handling is perfect. take off the top in nice weather. engine response and sound are great. costs next to nothing to track. nothing has less cost to run. just dont crash it.

boxerman, Steveinfl and plastique999 like this.
  18. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    just noticed people recommending cayman and no one ever went wrong tracking a porsche (other than me and 997gt3 but thats another story). elise makes cayman feel like a buick. heavy, numb, bloated, etc in comparison.

Steveinfl likes this.
  19. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I considered all of the above, miata, m3/e46,36,40, Cayman/boxster, elise/exige and went with a 3rd gen MR2 Spyder.

It is the cheapest, lightest, mid engine car around. Simple, nothing overly complicated, it's literally a Corolla built backwards. Everything is dirt cheap if you run it in a near stock form, and bolton parts are available if you want more.

Feel free to crash it, body shells are cheap, and steel if you do want to repair.

Texas Forever and Steveinfl like this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Lotus Elise/Exige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71Satisfaction likes this.
  21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Surprised No one mentioned the Alfa 4C. It is more track car than road car.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The problem with lotus and Alfa 4 is they are fragile and expensive to repair. You can get a corvette C5 Z06 rear fender at the junkyard in your car color for $200 bucks and it is plastic so often you can push out the damage. Minor hits just pop out. A base mustang new is $40K. If you wreck it just buy another one and transfer race parts. A serious track guy has to worry about the supply of parts, engines, and gearboxes. How easy are they to get? Can you get factory crate motors? An Alfa 4 is a carbon tub. Who is going to repair that reliably and at what cost? I have read about lotus totaled because they ran over a 2x4 damaging the tub! Or this.. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a23582753/salvage-title-2005-lotus-elise-for-sale/

mdrums likes this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well when I used to race W2W in LotusCup, yes the clams made of fiberglass could crack upon bumping....and I’ve been in a few contacts during races.
    If it’s a track car, nothing a little bondo couldn’t fix, so as long as you know a good fiberglass repair guy, bondo, a little duct tape and keep on racing!
    So aside from the clams, all other consumables are quite cheap. Toyota 2zz engines used could be had or rebuilt for $3-5k. Gearboxes pretty cheap. Slicks were around $1-1500k a set. Brake pads super cheap (Pagid rs14’s). So consumables are pretty cheap overall.
    The key to Lotus racing is the light weight, but power could be had with supercharger or turbo. But it was a great platform to progress from momentum racing with an NA Elise to more power with Cup cars or 211’s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtwhaley likes this.
  24. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I'm so sorry I'm late to the party on this. I tried for most of a year to find someone who wanted what you've described, to buy my 986 Boxster. I built that thing into a killer track machine, and still worked to drive to and from the track, and an occasional blast to the office.
    Most people who want a dedicated track car don't need the street-legal concessions, and most who want a street car aren't willing to live with the track mods I'd done. I'm just finishing parting it out, because I couldn't find a buyer. :sigh: Good news is, it paid for most of my Spec Boxster I just purchased.

That said: in my opinion, the Mid-Engined nature of the Cayman / Boxster makes it one of the funnest cars on track. Sure, you'll get some guys motoring-away from ya on the straights, but the only thing that goes through corners faster than me are the Miatas (they don't use their brakes.... ever.... sunnuva). The 986 platform offers more aftermarket support and knowledge base than any other mid-engined Porsche iteration. You could buy a REALLY NICE "S" car for $12k, throw $12k at it in suspension and setup (Ohlins, FVD & Tarret), and you'd have $25k left to use for your track tires budget.

Attached Files:

Steveinfl likes this.
  25. jazztrip

jazztrip Karting

Oct 1, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Six years ago I found myself in a similar situation. I had tracked my 458 Italia eight times and really enjoyed it, but wanted something with lower consumables cost plus the idea of wadding up my 458 at a track day was difficult to accept. I looked for and purchased a 2009 Cayman S. The previous owners had already installed a number of go-fast mods and I added some safety mods. I couldn't be happier. I do 12-15 track days each year and drive to/from the track. She checks all the boxes for me and something similar would fit well within you budget.

Good luck with your search.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login