TR steering rack query | FerrariChat

TR steering rack query

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Jun 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Hi, my 91 TR has 55,000 km on it and seems to have developed a distinct rattle felt through the steering when going over bumps. All suspension bushings and shocks were replaced about 4 years ago.

When examining the steering rack I noticed that the passenger side tie rod which emerges from the bellows on the RHS of the rack has some up down play while the LHS does not.

My strong suspicion is that the bushing in the RHS of the rack is worn.

Ferrari does not appear to sell just a bushing; buying a used rack seems like false economy as there is no telling how long until a used rack develops the same issue.

Does anyone know of a replacement bushing, if it can be rebuilt, and if so, by whom? I assume this is a "normal" TRW rack? If it is just a normal job I could try to remove the rack and send it off, or just take the whole car if it can be done in situ.

Regards to all.

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Do a search and check x ref thread. Someone on here rebuilt the rack. It's rebuildable for sure. I will look later on and see what I find

R

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Are they the same as a 308? Superformance list all the same parts as the 308 in the flat 12 section for the BB. If it's the same the Pantera bushing should fit.

4. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    I had a problem with mine and contacted GT car parts. Did an exchange for a rebuilt one, 4-500 bucks done.

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    That may have been me, but I am sure others have rebuilt them as well. Rebuilding would probably be more successful than a used rack for a loose bushing...at least you would have new bushings.

The problem with mine was apparently wear on the gear set near the center of the track...it had a lot of play on center in the steering.

Poster Rifledriver (a TR expert here) claims that the rebuild is less successful for the gears - I believe that they use a spray welding method to build up the gears again and then machine them back to tolerance. Rifledriver says this wears down again fairly quickly - but then the original in my case did not last long...I noticed the problem by about 25,000 total original miles and it was rebuilt at 27,000.

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I looked at the cross ref thread and searched under steering, rack and bushing. Nada.

I suspect a rebuild is easy(ish) if I can get the bushing. A rebuilt one from GT Car parts would be ok, if I could send them the core after I get the rack. Eurospares has a used one, but no idea how long until it develops the same issue.

As I live on a planet far, far away, buying a bushing and getting it fitted locally is always going to be a better option.

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Try n source bushing. I would exhaust all options before a rebuild exchange.

R

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't think that was me.
    I have had total dissatisfaction with rebuilt racks and do not buy them anymore. I agree most can be fixed but finding some who does it well is nearly impossible.

9. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    JohnMH,

I looked all over the net for someone who could rebuild it with no luck. I called Bill at GT Car Parts looking for a used one and he had a guy that rebuilds them. I have over 2000 miles on that rebuilt rack and no problems at all, the car drives "perfect"! Call Bill and talk about the exchange and the warrantee on the rebuilt rack. You have a simple problem, easily solved.

Good Luck!
    Pete

10. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    OK, I understand now. I thought you were saying that the rebuild was pretty much worthless for restoring the gears but could be OK for just the bushings.

I am still highly troubled by such a simple and vital mechanical item as a rack & pinion that wears out in 25,000 miles.

11. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    It's age not miles.

R

12. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    AGE??? A rack & pinion? How does it wear out the gears just sitting there?

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    The steering is still tight, no play, just a weird rattle and clunk on bumps. I suspect the gear and rack teeth are still ok.

So a new rack is the answer? Sounds a bit extreme and slightly pricey.

Back to the bushing, I emailed superformance, will see what they say.

I would prefer just to leave the rack in place and just replace the right side bushing. I can probably get it out, but what to replace it with? I assume they are nylon or plastic of some sort.

Has anyone ever removed one?

14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Bushings not the internals..

R

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree, the racks are junk. Another low bid supplier.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It's not age. We have been replacing worn out racks since not long after the cars were built. The racks are just garbage.

17. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    I have 62k km on my 92 512TR now and am in the process of replacing the streering rack due to excessive steering wheel play. When I get it back I will report on the change if there is any. I bought a new one from Ricambi as I did not want the used one from Eurospares. The steering is probably the most vital control so I did not want to skimp. The rack cost ~$1700 without shipping which is pricey but I have come to expect this on our cars and well I love this car so it is worth it.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think you got a great deal.

19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Alex, do you have any source for the 512TR steering rack bushings?

20. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

So...the original busing appears to have been plastic. The dimensions (best I can measure, and these are the English equivalents) are 1.21" outer diameter, 0.90" inner diameter and about 0.80-0.90 in length.

The Pantera uses a very similar rack bushing, sourced here in bronze:
    https://ipsco.org/newsite/product/ips128-steering-rack-bushing/

I ordered one of these out of curiosity and the outer diameter and length are perfect. The inner diameter is 0.84, so not far off of the .090 needed. I am going to put mine on a lathe and open the size up 0.060, and put it in. I am not 100% sure it can't be done IN the car, but having the rack out facilitates you removing the inner tie rod end.

This piece will just press into place. I will slightly fold/dimple the edge of my rack over so this doesn't slide out but there is very little pressure on it. Currently I 3D printed a nylon and chopped carbon fiber sleeve in a C shape and snapped it over the rack output shaft and pressed in. It is working fine but I don't like the idea of putting a car on track that doesn't have a fully secured piece, as EVERY car in my fleet is capable of track day use.

Hope this helps. This was my 50 buck gamble, might as well share the knowledge I have. What I REALLY need are some dimensions on that inner tie rod end. Length, external threads for the outer tie rod end and the internal threads where it threads on to the rack. I think I have a Moog replacement for 30 bucks or less that is dimensional-ly identical but need to verify.

21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I suspect we are speaking about different parts. I am looking for the 8 rubber bushings where the rack attaches to the frame. I spoke with Ray at TRutlands this morning and they ARE available from Ferrari for a mere $32 apiece. I believe the rack was manufactured by TRW so I doubt these were unique rubber bushings. I may get the NAPA boys on it.
    Once I get the old rack out I will try to measure whatever you want, but I may not have the expertise to measure threads (I can use a caliper).

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    Cassidy, I know you are in the US and most members also. but ferrari it a european car and here we count in metric,not in inch. so th einch sizes never will match the inch sizes when you meassure exactly. so I think you use an eletronic caliper? then you could change to metric and know 100 % the right size

23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Update:
    I contacted Superformance UK and they have the bushings for $6.85 each. I found a source on EBay out of New Jersey for $6.80 each, but they only have one. I found another source on EBay, EWItalian, in Englishtown, New Jersey that has I believe polyurethane bushings for $12 each. I have 8 of these coming. They can also rebuild a 512TR rack for $550.
    When I removed my old 67,000 mile rack, the bushings looked perfect. I mean PERFECT. Soft rubber, no deformities. It looks like these could easily be re-used, but for $100 I'll take one for the Chat and see if the replacement bushings look better.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login