TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution! | Page 14 | FerrariChat

TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    OK, so you're all wondering. I posted the info about this before.

My 89 TR carrier blew up at about 80mph last year. Although I haven't torn into it yet, I'm assuming the carrier, C&P, and side cover need replaced. I'm not putting that kind of money into new parts. I give Ferrari the finger. You're **** is way over priced.

This "mess" was in a house fire. 92 TR sitting in the garage when an electrical fire started. I took the risk and purchased it for...dirt cheap. If I can salvage one part out of this it will be worth it. When it first showed up I thought I had wasted my money. As I started tearing into it I noticed several things. The spring inside the seals of the axle flange were still springy and the rear main seal even still has the rubber in place. Couldn't have been too hot now could it? I couldn't get the right side cover to budge so I had to cut the case with a carbite saw to free the diff. In the process of this, we were forced to do a neanderthal hardness test. Let's put it this way - I couldn't even mar the crown gear using a pry bar between the teeth to hold it while using a sledge on the wrench to remove the bolts. Yes, I'll still have it tested but now I have hope.

As far as the carrier, the guy I bought it from told me the carrier had been upgraded just a few months before the fire. I could see he was lying the second I pulled the back cover off. Oh well, if I only have to buy one of Newmans I still think I got a deal.

If it works, I laugh at all you nay-sayers. If it doesn't work, oh well. I'll be experienced in the procedure to repair it again, and I'll only be out a few hundred bucks.

Hey Newman, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what do you think about having the original welded carrier x-rayed and rewelded? Thoughts? Oh and by the way. I think the crank is going to be salvagable. Still interested?

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Tough to mag cracks, the particles tend to highlight the weld edges. X-ray is best. Dont re-weld it. Yes interested.

P

3. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    More of an organ donator than a survivor

4. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Quazi,
    Amazing! I think you just shot yourself in the foot by neanderthaling that transaxle case. Then it looks like you missed with the sledge hammer and neanderthaled the engine block as well!
    Maybe it got too hot to be rebuilt, and if it did, no big deal. But if it was rebuildable you just kissed a lot of $$$$ away!
    John

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #330 qwazipsycho, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    I think you need to read a little further...If you think I would do that to my own car you're crazy. I'm just hoping to scavange parts from a donor that had already suffered a much worse fate.

There is NO aluminum on this P.O.S. that is salvagable. So why not cut it to get it out of the way when it won't cooperate?

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I think this subject has been written about more than any other item on this site. Yet I am still not clear as to the early 365s. Is this a problem with ALL Boxers or just the 512BB and all cars going forward? In other words, is the 365GT4 BB included in this problem??

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Since no one else has answered your question George, I'll tell you what I know.

The carrier in all boxers prior to the 1994 512TR/M had a 2 piece welded carrier. As you can see by the many pics on this thread, they fail. When they do, they will most likely take out the crown & pinion as well as the left side cover.

When it happens, quickly go home and you'll find the entire Ferrari F1 pit crew pulling a train on your wife and cleaning out your bank account. That's just how this whole thing goes....enjoy.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #333 Newman, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
    The weld on the 365 is one large fat weld that covers the entire end cover. The 365 is lighter than the TR line and has considerably less torque. This combination of factors I believe is responsible for the lack of failures. The 365 does seem to have failures in the pinion gear vs the TR but the gears are different and ferrari changed the gear ratios and diameter arriving at 3.21:1 on the BB512 which reduced the gear failures. The BB512 has smaller welds on the side of the carrier vs one fat one on the 365. The welds on the carriers Ive had and inspected have welds that get smaller and smaller along the line as the car increased in weight and the torque went up, backwards thinking at best.

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I just got my carrier from Paul.
    What a beautiful piece of machine work.
    It will outlast the car easily.:)

11. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Excellent Spasso, you will soon be able to sleep at nights again.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Han, can you document (pics again !) how you used the old parts to fit in the diff please .....?

And how you installed the dif .....

We will do the same shortly with the special constructed U.K. diff (only difference is our diff is complete, all inside parts new) .... !

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Only after it is installed.
    I really hope it all turns out good for you Robert.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #339 Spasso, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I won't be installing the new carrier any time soon, later this year when the 30k is done if all goes according to plan.

You and Robert will be the leaders on this one.
    I will try to get pictures when the time comes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login