TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution! | Page 13 | FerrariChat

TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm just a helpful guy that way....spreading love, Texas barbeque, and hot blues music, worldwide!!!! LOL!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I need to send ya'll some quality metal, from the lumps Shell Labs leaves lying around......

3. rjtw

rjtw Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    I just ran across this thread while researching and thinking about potentially purchasing a TR one day. Newman, you've done an incredible job! Sorry if this has been covered, but is it possible to change out the differential housing without removing the engine/trans?

Also, I understand from other threads that the prop shaft is an issue too. I don't want to hijack this thread, but what's the fix for the prop shaft? Was that upgraded at some point in production too? Does that call for transmission removal?

And -- most importantly -- if I were to purchase a pre-M car (or at least pre-late-94 car without the updated housing), install a Newman housing and upgrade the prop shaft, are there any other major weak points in the drivetrain I'd have to worry about?

Just doing my research...

And once again hats off to you, Newman, for doing such a great service to the community.

Rick

4. Cruiser

Cruiser Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    Kalahari, RSA
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Hi Newman, I see this thread was started in Dec 2008. I see that the diff carrier was greatly in demand and was scoped up by all the wise men.

Have you tested the crown wheel and pinion gear set and how did it turn out. Did the reverse engineering succeed?

Do you manufacture in sets or on demand? And costs of a set?

Thanks

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just for your research also Rick... :

These problems MAY occur to a TR or 512TR/M.... and then we are very happy with all these solutions !

Of all <9-10.000 TR's, only a few percent of the cars had this....

But you may also be the lucky guy like me (until now) who has not had any of these horible breakdows...

So don't get nervous ! Go and start your hunt for a nice Ferrari !

6. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #306 AHudson, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Mel's right. Something to keep in mind - -

Whenever I come threads of imminent automotive death, I start thinking "OH NO! All these cars are ready to explode shrapnel into the sky."

Truth is, nearly 100% of those who add info (as a means to help) have had the problem, fixed it, or heard of someone who has. This skews the numbers of incidence big time, because all the ones who DO NOT have the problem don't say anything.

I know that's obvious and all, but reading too many 'this happened to me' threads can make you undeservedly paranoid. These cars are super fun, super undervalued, cool to look at, listen to and - yes - even fix on occasion.

I bought the latest 512TR I could find, and drive it confidently, though sans burn outs. Do your research and go in eyes wide open. Have fun. The search is half of it.

7. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    And speaking of Newman, where the heck is Newman?

Last I heard he was moving, but that's been some time ago.
    Curious, John

8. rjtw

rjtw Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    #308 rjtw, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks guys! Yes, I understand the "sky is falling" phenomenon, just want to make sure I have a handle on the worst case. And, of course, on the likelihood of that worst case, and your reminder is a good one.

I haven't driven a TR yet (of any vintage) but keep getting drawn back to these beautiful icons. They are definitely a relative bargain on purchase price. How much should I expect to spend on regular maintainance though? I'm handy around the garage and would kind of like to have a project car again, I think doing the belts would be fun for instance, but on the other hand don't want to have to constantly chase problems or throw money at it.

I've seen Jagbuff's car under FerrariAds, a beautiful 1988.5, only 15K miles, what are your thoughts on a car like that versus the silver 1992 512TR at Sports Car Company? It's a later car and has 30K miles but the price seems pretty reasonable for a 512TR. I'm really torn on the price versus later car issue.
    http://www.sportscarcompany.com/inventory.aspx?_vstatus=3,4,5&_new=true&_used=true&_makef=Ferrari&_model=512tr

I'm certainly enjoying the search.

Thanks!!
    Rick

9. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    If you want to get him you will have to PM him. I haven't seen him post for a while.
    But I can say I have one of his Carriers- beautiful work. Well worth the cost and drama to install. These 512BB/BBi/ TR diffs are just a hand grenade, sooner or later they will let go, and usually it won't be and the end of your driveway, it will be miles from nowhere at night in the pouring rain and no cell phone reception!
    Cheers MG

10. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    NEWMAN has a new baby. Moved not too long ago. Is 'doing' a lot of work after real work instead of posting about the work. Helping restore a Boxer for a customer as I understand.

He's still ugly and Canadian, so that's a couple points against him right there.

11. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #311 kerrywittig, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is there anywhere a point to point, a start to finish...how to for this R&R............. I've got the carrier, I've got all the seals and gaskets and bearings and the engine sitting in a stand. Just wondering if anyone has done a remove fastner A and twist item B type of write-up!

Lazy Me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have done a couple.

You have my #.

13. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thanks Bri,

Just wanna make sure there are no "tricky" parts that I might come up against. I've done dozens of diffs (9" er's and Danas) but this is a different animal for me, I think. OK, if you don't mind the interuptions to your day.....expect to hear my soothing voice in the next couple weeks on occasion. Thanks again!

Stut t t ering Me

14. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I love this post!.........No I really do!

Motivating Me

15. Turk512

Turk512 Rookie

Jan 19, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kev Hashas
    Hey Kerry, did you ever find a detailed description of the the initial breakdown and re-installation procedure?? I'm about to install the Newman carrier and I have the same question.

16. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Turk,
    I was gonna do a step by step with pix and all that......but.........I found that it is SO self-explanatory and obvious as to how to do this that it would be a waste of time and effort................I guess what is most important is....If you have the skills to take this type of upgrade on, then one will see and know the obvious........Once I removed the front cover and the side covers it is an obvious no brainer.........then of course you might have the same outcome as me when the carrier needs to be set-up again (i.e. shims, pre-load, lash)....That indeed can cause some concern as it did with me initially. But after I "calmed down" I realized it was time to get out the calipers, dial indicator, and begin measuring and fabricating my own shims to get the R&P back to the correct specs!!

Good luck Turk..................

Calmer Me

17. Rossa a nord di

Rossa a nord di Karting

Apr 30, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario, Can
    Full Name:
    Brent Pilon
    Hello
    Just wanted to post that I finally (after 2 years) got the new crown and pinion gear into my car.
    Had the engine out 2 years ago and missed the season so wanted to drive it last year.

Works great!!! No noise which was the problem with the other one. Very pleased.

Gear pattern looked good and test drove it on Sunday. Nice to hear the engine again instead of the whining of the gears.

Now the rad fans won't turn on, but I don't think I can blame that on the gears.

Take Care. Brent

18. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Where the hell was that sitting, on the foredeck of the Titanic?

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I LOL'd for a good minute! Thanks.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    That's just a regular carrier (welded).

21. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    There is a good looking pinion and ring gear there! Obviously treated with tender loving care.So if the diff housing did not give way what caused the damage?

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just a shot in the dark but I figure he cut the gearbox to get the carrier. The M type carrier has 4 square holes in the closed end to allow a broach to pass through during manufacturing to cut the limited slip clutch slots. The original ferrari unit was open on both ends to allow the tool to pass through. Mine uses a different approach to cutting the slots that allows the carrier to be machined from a solid block. Once that sad carrier is cleaned up it will be obvious that the weld is there and followed up with a machine finish to clean it up.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If that one isnt suitable after the fire and water treatment it went through, I have a few original (welded) carriers kicking around for those that dont want to spend on an upgraded one.

24. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Well, this one has survived the proverbial "Trial By Fire".