TR - Billows of white smoke! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

TR - Billows of white smoke!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by testarob, Jul 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The 512 tranny?! Oh man, next you'll be upgrading to Motronic 2.7!

Give in to the dark side...

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, you'll have one of the best '86 Testarossa's in existence after this. Frankly I wouldn't consider buying one that hasn't had this work done, after following this thread.

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Bump. Any update, Going to stop by FofCF this AM. Is your car still there? Best of luck,

Simon

4. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Car is still there... tranny is in... some last minute details (had them add X-OST and HypeFlow cats, repainting the wheels, etc) and she is back home. Should be done Monday or Tuesday...

I am having some SERIOUS withdrawal here....:)

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Thread open... Prepared...

6. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Finally picked up the car today!

The new tranny is great. Shifts smooth. The last minute addition of the X-OST and Hyper-Cats was the best decision I could have made. The TR sounds AWESOME!

FofCF was very cooperative in working with me on the overall expense (which came in under $30k).

It was clear this morning when I drove it from the shop to my office (about 1/2 mile from FofCF) but by the time I left work it was raining slightly so I couldn't really 'exercise' it.

Maybe tomorrow...

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Congratulations. Bet you'll go out and say goodnight to her tonight. And you'll have a big smile when you see her at home tomorrow morning. Congrats again.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Toss my congrats on the pile. It's a huge service bill, but you had it done right and, as I posted earlier, it's probably the best early Testarossa on the road right now for having been upgraded like it was.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

:)

10. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    One final update needed ... remove the AM/FM/CD player... with the new exhaust I will never turn it on ...

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you for this wealth of information.
    Please forgive me, but I thought the updates occurred only on the introduction of the 512M, are you sure it was also in the later TR update?

There are some helpful suggestions. I didn't know about Modena Motorsports, but I did know that Rod Drew was supplying T Rutlands.

BTW, Rod Drew's company is FAI, aka Francorchamps, and Ferrari of Costa Mesa is very close to him, and I wouldn't doubt Rod is the root source for many of these repair/rebuilds.

12. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Can any of you supply me with the number or email of Rod Drew and/or his shop? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    David

13. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Now--that's risk management.

14. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    So you dug out an 8 year old thread for that post? :)

15. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
  16. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry
    Glad to hear you got your TR back but sad that it happened. It happened to me last year but I luckily got away with a total bill of under $17K. Check out my post "Another Diff Bites the Dust" for all the gory details, including pix.

Now that's it done my TR runs stronger than ever. Both of our TRs are now far more valuable because we eliminated that big Achilles' Heel.

I'm going to mount my busted diff parts on a memorial plaque of some kind. I've got a place picked out for it in the garage under an LED spotlight.