TR: accessing AC condenser and other AC questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TR: accessing AC condenser and other AC questions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ok, here's where I'm at:

Based on the advise above that a loss of 10psi over 12+ hours may be considered a "slow" leak, I'm going to move forward charging the system

1) I will install a new receiver/drier and o-rings
    2) I will replace the schraeder valves at the compressor and the o-rings
    3) I will pull a vacuum
    4) I will install r12/oil/dye

I'll check the system after a few weeks and look around for any dye.

MOSS and flash32 like this.
  2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Replaced receiver drier and o-rings, replaced compressor high and low side o-rings and schrader valves, inspected condenser, filled with 2.5lbs of R12 (wouldn't take any more?) and 1.5oz of ester oil/dye.

Receiver/drier was $30 from GT carparts. Pressure tap was on wrong side and overall OD was smaller requiring weather stripping to clamp it. Will search for a better fitting part next time.

Car AC is freezing now. Don’t wear sandals! Haha.

Thanks to all for the help. I’ll keep an eye on it over the next year to see how the system holds and will update this thread.

Pics of some of the completely toasted o-rings and other parts in the system.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

raysur, vincenzo and blkdiablo33 like this.
  3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Getting to that dryer under the dash is a significant ordeal and quite difficult. Just had mine all replaced.

4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    what was outside temp ?great job on the ac

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    About 80-85deg. I’m not sure I’m out of the woods yet, but at least I got somewhere and learned a lot about the AC system in general.

6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The filter/drier (or receiver/drier as the industry seems to call it), is super easy to replace, it’s right under the carpet in the front trunk. The expansion valve and evaporator is what’s under the dash. Have to remove it all to access

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    My mistake, you are exactly right and I am glad you didn't have to replace the expansion valve.

8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    mine last time i tried was about 60 comming from vents was a very hot day like 95 i dont really use mine dont want to stress the orig electrical system.hows the strength of air comes out from vents .on a hot day i take the f430 out modern great ac .

9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The air coming out the center vents is very strong. The air directed to the footwells when the valve is set to open is also pretty strong. The other vents (round ones on the outside edges of the dash) get less airflow but you can still feel the cool air.

10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    When I bought my 1988 tr. it had been coverted to 134a. Lucky to pull 42 degrees as low out put. Didn’t cut it here in Phoenix. Converted back to r12. It would freeze you out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Its colder at low output. That is typical

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The TR was designed for R-12. Keep it if you can!

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    problem here in europe is to get R 12 :(

MOSS likes this.
  14. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks like the system is not holding pressure well. I'm losing AC function as time goes on. I inspected the car and it appears there's a leak at the front of the compressor where the front endcap mates to the body.

Should I have it rebuilt or buy a new one? The SD-508 compressor types range from $150 up but I haven't found any information about which brands are worth paying more for. I don't mind buying a new one under $300 and saving the old one for later.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what is a good brand of AC compressor?