Tour the Ferrari Factory, a Creampuff's Guide | FerrariChat

Tour the Ferrari Factory, a Creampuff's Guide

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Puff, May 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Puff

Puff Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    DC
    #1 Puff, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some of the info out there is erroneous and typical responses to the question "how do I get an invitation..." seem to range from "piss off" to "call Enzo directly in Italy". I'm slow and I need things spelled out for me. Anyway, here's how I got my tour (which exactly 2 weeks away today!). I hope it is useful to someone.

PUFF's GUIDE TO TOURING THE FERRARI FACTORY:

1: Call FoW, they transfer you to Mary, who "handles the tours".

2. Mary emails you a spreadsheet to complete and forward to her and the FNA contact (all via email). The form collects simple info (name, address, tour date/time preferred, # of people touring, model and VIN, favorite color M&M's, etc ). Instructions and rules are also on the form. (30 days notice required, must be 16 or older, etc.)

3. After emailing you receive notice that FNA has submitted the request on to the factory.

4. Next you receive a confirmation that your tour date has been approved and a FedEx with the official pass and instructions has been sent.

5. Receive FedEx a few days later.

The entire process took exactly 7 days for me.

puff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    hmmm.... nice! Suitable for framing.

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Puff--You going alone??

4. Puff

Puff Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    DC
    Hey Robbie!

Just me and my non-english-speaking translator.

Nobody wanted to go with me: "weak dollar", "bottled water too expensive" , "too much fun... grumble grumble grumble". Something like that.

;-)

Will hit Nice first, Monaco for the race, and then to Italy. Gonna be amazing. I have floor space available if anyone changes their mind. Heck, lil'Bush's stimulo-cash will cover the fare to Nice.

puff

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    You qualified for that? ;) :D

6. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    I heard Nice was nice

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Need a tour - call and be transferred to Mary.

Need to order a car - talk to a salesman and be transferred to Mary.

Need to pay for a car - go to FoW and be sent to Mary.

I love Ralph, and Glenn, and all the other guys, but from now on I'm dealing only with senior management, no more middlemen. ;)

8. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I thought it and you wrote it..... :)

9. Puff

Puff Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    DC

haha. So far all I do is go to the occasional FoW F1 party, eat their cheese, drink their wine, and now I request a tour. TAKE TAKE TAKE .... I'm starting to feel guilty.. I should at least buy a t-shirt from them or something. ;-) (I'd buy a used 360 from them if I thought it would help me get on the list for the 430's successor... sigh...)

puff

10. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    why don't you have them fix your slushbox? That would pay them back!

11. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I'm about two weeks behind you and had a same pleasant experience dealing with FoW. We're flying into Milan on the 6th and driving to Maranello then to Lake Como and finally Venice. I've never been to Maranello and can't wait.

12. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Karen and I would like to go next year, this sounds easy........Call Mary, even I can remember this :D

13. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    I don't know what other experiences folks have had, but I did not find finding the factory was very easy. All the signs are in Italian, obviously, and each sign kept saying "Maranello 10" with a right hand turn arrow. I think we must have seen 10 or 15 of these signs, all posted at a circle/roundabout. I think we went 50 miles just making right hand turns. When we stop to ask shop owners how far and what direction to the Ferrari factory, either they did not want to help stupid Americans, or they have never been out of their villages, but they all did not seem to even know. We were later told, "local knowledge" is key, which we could not have had and the signs are poor.

If you want, eat across the street at Enzo's favorite restaurant, Il Cavallino. Usually can get a walk-in for lunch. Also allow maybe a good hour to browse the official Ferrari store, across the street, another hour for some other stores that have all the F1 and Ferrari books, DVDs (careful of the format), posters, 8x10's, stickers, etc. you could ever want, and AT LEAST 3 or 4 hours for the Ferrari museum across the street where there are some 40 F1 cars, road cars, along with engines and trophies on display (no ropes, you can walk right up to them).

Basically, it is a full Ferrari day if you have the time. Then you might also want to stand outside the gates and just stare in a daze as cars go in and out constantly for their road tests.

14. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    That would be great fun!!! Maybe get some good spy shots!!

15. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Across the street is the Fiorano test track, and folks are along the fence with their coolers, ladders, sitting in trees and on scaffolds to watch.

16. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I could sit there all day!!!

17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You sit all day for a living anyway!!!! LOL! Like this isn't the pot calling the kettle black! LOL!

Robert

18. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    while you are over there, you better go to the lambo factory. pretty sure mary can hook you up with that too.

19. Puff

Puff Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    DC
    #19 Puff, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lamebo has a factory? I thought they just threw those things together on the side of the road ("road" aka lambo testtrack). Come to think of it, I HAVE been there... (see attached)

Oh that's right, they're a german now. I don't think I'll have time to make it to germany.

[bracing myself]

puff

PS Does Mary rebuild transmissions in her spare time by chance?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I'm doing the tour on the 10th, then Venice, then Como and back to Milan.

21. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim

Don't forget Monza! You have to stop and at least see the track.

22. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    yep, about 25 minutes from the ferrari factory. well worth the stop.

23. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Did Monza the last time we were there and definately worth the trip. Ferrari was testing and I was shocked how many people were there for a test. Everytime a Ferrari came around everyone came to their feet waving flags. Everyone from kids to the grandparents. Ferrari is definately the national sports team in Italy.

Sailquick, if you're on the 10AM factory tour on the 10th, I'll be there with you. We're staying across the street at the Planet Hotel and doing a very similar route. Too funny. It will be great to meet you.

24. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Excellent! We are staying at the Planet Hotel as well. Our flight arrives on the 9th and we're planning to drive straight to Maranello, chill at the hotel and try to get some sleep, then off for the tour and museum, etc. on the 10th.

Hopefully AA won't screw up my connection through JFK as there's only 2 hours between my arrival from MIA and my departure to MXP.

I look forward to running into you...

And JK, thanks for the Monza idea, I'm definitely going to try to drive through on the way to Como!

25. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    If you are talking 10 June at 10:00, I will see you both at the tour. We are staying in Modena, though.