Torn bicep or ruptured bicep tendon - I am devastated! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Torn bicep or ruptured bicep tendon - I am devastated!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rdefabri, Sep 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    I will second that. And, since you are a competitive athlete, you will probably be more motivated to push yourself, but just remember that there is a fine line between pushing yourself and overdoing it, which can cause delays in healing. Again, listen to your medical team.

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    #52 PT 328, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    A little bathroom trivia:

You lose 3% of your strength per day without activity. Think how long that arm has been casted/immobile and do the math? You lose it quick but it will come back.

Think how far you have come from your first post 6 weeks ago.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I didn't know that! My PT did tell me if they casted my good arm for 3 weeks, I would be feeling quite similar.

Interesting in that my elbow (which wasn't operated on) is feeling the most pain / stiffness, and the PT confirmed that's due to immobilization.

rocket50: Thankfully, I have matured with age - 20 years ago, I'd be "gung ho" and be more likely to overdo it. Now, I am the opposite - so much so that the PT told me I could do more with the arm provided no resistance. Good news, but I will err on the side of caution :)

So far, this has been an amazing journey - I've learned a lot about myself and more about physiology that I didn't already know. I am confident in full recovery, and the 5 weeks since the operation have simply flew by. Essentially, I have "11 weeks" before the radial tuberosity (the point on the bone where the tendon was surgically re-attached) heals over the drilled hole / tendon / anchor. Even then, they say 6-9 months is considered "total recovery".

Have either of you worked on someone with a similar injury (I am assuming you are PT / OT)?

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    [QUOTE

Have either of you worked on someone with a similar injury (I am assuming you are PT / OT)?[/QUOTE]

I used to practice PT but reimbursement has gone to the dumps and the paperwork increased so I decided to move on and find a different career in the health care field. I am currently performing independent medical reviews and have started a side gig doing denial appeals for a group of four hospitals and their associated outpatient clinics. They are paying me 1/3 of what they get reimbursed for my work. Not bad so far.

To answer your question I have seen quite a few post-op bicep tendon repairs and have caught a few the docs missed.

5. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    I am an ATC/PTA. I have seen a few of these but it has been a while. Like PT328, I am moving away from the traditional role and am currently getting my new business up to speed. I have been doing canine rehab since 2006. Probably 50/50 dogs to people now. The people PT helps to fill the holes but I hope to go full time to the dogs in the next year or two.

6. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    I'm not a therapist, either physical or occupational. But part of what I do is to do the actual fixing of these injuries. No one does a lot of these, but I probably fix 4-6 every year.

I'm sure every surgeon has his/her own rehab protocol. I usually tell my patients it'll take 18 weeks (4 months) for them to get back to normal. I divide the rehab into 3 sessions of 6 weeks, each. The first 6 weeks the patient is just to do range of motion exercises. No lifting or weights or resistance. The biggest concern is permanent elbow stiffness after any sort of elbow injury/surgery. You can always get strength back, later. You can't count on getting motion back, though. I used to use a hinged elbow brace during this period, but I'm finding it's not so necessary. No casting. I just get the patient into the therapist at around week 2 (post-op).

Week 6-12, light strengthening. Start at lifting one pound, work up slowly to 5 lbs. You've got 6 weeks to get to 5 lbs.

Week 12-18, advance strengthening from 5 lbs back up to normal, whatever that is for the patient.

I've had good results with this protocol. My expectation is for people to be back to wherever they were (activity-wise) before the injury.

7. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Pretty much what my surgeon recommended, but I had a soft cast for 1 week, and a hard cast for 2 weeks. Therapy started week 4.

My session last night really showed how far I've come in just a week. The PT I go to provides a revolving team - so on any night, there are 3-4 people working with you. The PT that stretched me was really surprised - told me I am doing great. I can totally extend the arm straight. To my chest - it's now consistently past 90 degrees (but stiff). Pronation / supination also doing well - certainly not full ROM, but definitely noticeable improvements.

I have the weekend to do my home exercises, then resume Monday.

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    So I am now 6 weeks post-op (!!!) and the therapy is going great. PT said yesterday that I have made phenomenal strides.

I can totally extend the arm, no issues. I tend to baby it and compensate with my shoulder, but it's straight. I can pronate well, supination still challenged, but close.

Flexion has been awesome - definitely not all the way, but I can touch the back of my head with the arm now. Some soreness in the wrist and shoulder, and every so often in the forearm where the radius / ulna meet.

Not sure what I would have done without therapy - it's taking time, but I progress is noticeable.

On another note - got the bill. over $11K, but my portion was $25!!! Granted, PT isn't cheap, but hell that's good coverage!!

9. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    The entire therapy bill (and therapy alone) for 6 weeks was $11K?! Are you schitting me? Total therapy bill for the entire 4 month course shouldn't be more than about $3K. And that's being generous.

10. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    They can bill one million dollars per visit. It is all based on CPT codes and allowable amounts. I will bet the actual paid amount per treatment is between $50 and $100. Over-billing only screws up your accounts receivables with inflated hopes.

Sounds like you are doing very well. Keep up the good work.

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Oh no, sorry - the SURGERY was $11K!

The PT isn't that much, but due to the recurring nature of it, it will end up costing me more out of pocket than the surgery (which was $25!).

PT won't be over for some time - I am only in my 3rd week. With my coverage, I pay $25 per visit, so it will get costly. Unfortunately, I have to go - if it weren't for PT, my ROM would be nil.

They killed me tonight - I am REALLY sore. They are starting to get very aggressive since I've been showing much more progress than normal. Sucks, but I prefer to be on the aggressive track.

12. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    Surgery costing $11K is closer to the norm. Are you looking at an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) or an actual bill? And the 11K--is that the entire bill or just the surgery center? Does that include the surgeon's fee and the anesthesiologist's fee? Usually all three entities bill separately. If any hardware was used (depending on how the repair was done), that might get billed separately by a third party biller.

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Just surgery - anesthetology will be billed separate.

Curious to see how much of that bill will be covered....

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    7 weeks post op. Did my first resistance training yesterday with 1 lb. weights and bands.

Doesn't sound like much, but MAN does my arm hurt today!!! Still some trouble with the elbow and wrist, I am getting slightly impatient...PT and Doc say don't worry, I am right on target.

15. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Whatever you do go slow and let things get up to speed. Remember when you go to 2# that is 100% increase. When I did my shoulder it took really a year to totally rehab my self. I was patient and went up slowly and carefully. Ice, Ice baby is good after rehab. Lots of ice.

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Robert - out of curiosity, how long did it take before you saw full range of motion? I am mildly concerned that I still can't touch my shoulder, although I AM seeing more and more gains, so that's good I suppose.

Shoulder obviously different, but the surgery (assuming you had rotator cuff) is very similar. I've been told rotator cuff is worse, but it's far more common.

17. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Typically shoulders are more difficult to rehab. The more motion a joint has the less stable it is. Your elbow mainly flexes and extends while the shoulder works in multiple planes as well as has significant rotation. In addition, the rotator cuff musculature demands a lot for such small muscles. The elbow has some rotation component to it as the bicep assists with supination of the wrist and the long head of the bicep assists with shoulder flexion.

You appear to be doing quite well. As others, and you have suggested, slow and steady always wins this race.

18. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Immediately after the surgery I didn't move my shoulder on my own but the PT did and I had full range. Over time the scar tissue bound me up. After maybe 2 months I couldn't get things moving so I changes PT's and went to a man who just pushed it for me. He knew how to do it and I got full range quickly with him. I also did all the homework stretching he told me to do. It did hurt but my goal was long term and I just would live with the pain. ICE

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My PT definitely pushes me - they are concerned about scar tissue too, so they want to make sure there's no loss of ROM as a result.

It's getting there!

20. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    If you don't break up the scar tissue you will not get full range motion.

21. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, agreed - that's why I have to massage the scar and move the arm around.

I am definitely a quirky guy - for example, I hate my spine being touched. Same goes for the pit of my elbow. Sure enough, that's where the scar is, and it feels WEIRD. But, I have to do it or I'll have issues.

One thing I am starting to notice is some dull pain in my elbow when sleeping - if my arm stays in one spot / position too long. I move it and it feels a little better, but it bugs me. It's partially due to sleeping on my back with my elbow down on the mattress. I am not used to that at all as I normally sleep on my stomach. I am sure the exercises aren't helping either :)

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I am now 8 weeks PO, and still seeing progress week by week. The therapist said I am now at 90-95% ROM. Arm is really starting to feel more "normal", but the strength (obviously) isn't there yet.

Now using 2 lbs. barbells to do curls and tricep kick backs - I am happy that I can do some resistance training, although I am a little sore today!

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Just an update - I am at 13 weeks and I've been formally discharged by my surgeon. I do still need rehab - mostly strength training, but I am good to go.

Strength training must be gradual, so no power lifting or returning to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but I can lift weights a little more than I have been and I can return to normal duties otherwise.

Happy that I am at this point. Still have another few months until I am completely healed, but I am on the way!