Torn bicep or ruptured bicep tendon - I am devastated! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Torn bicep or ruptured bicep tendon - I am devastated!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rdefabri, Sep 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Just a complete rupture of the distal bicep tendon. The distal tendon connects the bicep to the elbow/forearm. Doc said clean off the bone, too!

Similar injury has been suffered by Martin Brodeur, Bob Sanders, Triple H, Matt Serra, Dorian Yates, Tom Platz, and Batista. Not as common as tearing the proximal head, which is by the shoulder and often treated without surgery.

2. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    5 of the 7 names you listed are suspected (probable) steroid users. Not sure about the first 2. You are over 40 so that didn't help but if you were using any performance enhancing drugs then you really did this to yourself. The muscles get stronger quicker than the bony attachment or tendons can, so injuries like this occur. Regardless, it sucks and I hope you have an uneventful recovery.

3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    No performance enhancing drugs here, but given 20 years of weight training, it's likely the initial damage was caused there.

This injury is more common for men over 40, which again may be the culmination of years of damage. It is also more common amongst bodybuilders / athletes using performance enhancing drugs because the strength if the muscle grows disproporionately to that of the tendon.

In my case, one wrong move and snap! Recovery so far hasn't been bad, but I've got months to go :(

4. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well - I am now in a hard cast for 2 weeks. I am 1 week post-op, the Doc said I am doing great.

My surgery was scheduled to be 1 hour, 2 incision method. However, as I had a ton of scar tissue, it took him 2 hours, and he improvised a single incision on my forearm, and attached the tendon with an anchor - basically a screw into the bone.

This surgeon came highly recommended - he was previously part of the Philadelphia Eagles physician team, and has many years experience. He was very confident describing the work he did, and also noted that I am an aggressive healer.

I'll start PT right after my 42nd birthday (2 weeks). That may last 10-12 weeks, depending on my progress.

The cast is heavy and itchy, but I got it in a nice ominous black color, so it does look cool ;)

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good luck! I hope you have a fast healing process.

6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks man- I am trying!

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'd like to see pics of this sinister looking cast.

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #33 rdefabri, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    That does look a little awkward but if it does the trick who cares.

Hope for a quick return.

10. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yes, even for a useless one, that is a strange nipple.

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #36 rdefabri, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010

Indeed, but with one wing, I can't ice both of them ;)

Actually, one pec is flexed, the other is relaxed due to my "babying" the left arm. It's amazing how you fear the possibility of the tendon unattaching - virtually impossible, but a normal feeling many that have this surgery feel.

12. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    It's too bad my (educated) guess turned out to be correct, but my observation has been that the better/more dedicated practitioners are able to avoid the common pitfalls and when they do get injured, it's something serious. Looks like you are taking the correct steps to recovery. I feel for you--I would be devastated if I could not pursue krav maga or my other sports, even for a while. I am glad the operation went well and you got it over with so quickly.

I wish you the very best!

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Zack - thanks for the kind words. I had been told (and can confirm) that the psychological effects are worse than the physical.

I have little to no pain, but I am frustrated by the arm being restricted, not being able to exercise, etc. Plus, I have fear of returning to BJJ lest I do this again!

I have SERIOUS respect for athletes that come back from big injuries. Pitchers post-"Tommy John" surgery come to mind. I will return, but it's going to take time to get my "head in the game"!

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Must be psychological...I have had a couple of broken bones, lots and lots of muscular tears, deep bruising, sprains, etc., and 3 surgeries in the last few years. I could never wait to get back to playing again. I don't think you will tear it again...the anchors they put in are stronger than the tissue that ruptured, and the rest of the tendon is strong as ever. Why would it tear again? You'll be fine. Just be careful to build it up to the right strength levels and ease back into it over the next year.

How long till the cast comes off? You are gonna have a hell of a tan line!

15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Cast comes off 10/26 - my 42nd birthday!

Definitely psychological - it's not a common injury when compared to broken bones, etc. That being said, you are absolutely right - it's going to be as good as new! The Dr. said I should have NO issues, and that he saw no reason to stop BJJ.

I really respect this Dr., and his comment was the catalyst to get me thinking about it. Before that, I was convinced I was done, but I will definitely roll again!

I saw the arm prior to the cast (soft cast was on for 1 week prior to the hard cast) - it was white and wrinkly for sure! :)

16. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    If you have issues down the line, I have someone for you on the west coast. This doctor does amazing stuff...by using animal bones and tissue inside humans. He gave a talk on TED.com and I think his name is Dr. Stone. Look up his talk and tell me what you think.

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #42 rdefabri, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I had an interesting day today! I am 20 days post-op, and it's my 42nd birthday. Keeping with that theme, I received a few "gifts" today:

First "gift" was removal of the cast. Dr. said everything looks GREAT! Stitches are dissolvable, and the bandage over the incision will fall off in the shower.

Physical therapy is scheduled for 3x per week for 4 weeks. Pretty much only stretching and light weights, and he said passive flexion / pronation / supination using my good arm to assist. I have been fitted with the Ossur Innovator-X arm brace, what I call my "Transformer" arm!

Now for the other "gift", this requires some back story. I roll Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - it's how I ruptured my bicep tendon. About 3 weeks before I ruptured the tendon, I caught a nasty fungal infection on my wrist. I saw a dermatologist, and it was treated. Cleared up just in time for my surgery, but I still let my Dr. know it was there. With 3 weeks in a cast (1 week soft, 2 weeks hard), the fungal infection came back with a VENGEANCE. No wonder my wrist was so itchy! I am really upset over it, but I made a follow up appointment for the dermatologist to get it cleared up for good.

Doc told me there's very little chance I will re-injure the surgically repaired arm. He implied that the repaired arm will be better than new. However, he said many people are predisposed to this type of injury, and bilateral ruptures have an elevated incident rate in people that have suffered this injury on one arm.

He also described my bicep "like a pencil". Holy crap it looks like a kid's arm! I have pretty big arms, I literally have one big gun and this skinny, atrophied, bony thing...bummer! My wife laughed - it looks WEIRD! He said in 3 months it will be back to normal size, and that atrophy is normal and expected.

First therapy session will be this Thursday, followed by a battery of medical visits on Monday (Dermatologist, then PT) - I feel like I've been abducted by aliens! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Sorry to hear about the fungal infection. It will clear. Unfortunately, I doubt three months will bring the gun back to full form. I wish you the best but that seems to be a bit optimistic to me.

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes the fungal infection will go away - but it's a little skeevy...and I'm a germ-a-phobe!

I agree that 3 months with light PT is optimistic. But muscle has memory, so I do expect it to return, just needs time.

The good thing is I can move my arm - it's free now. What's strange is that the range of motion is limited - the PT is needed to regain it.

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #45 rdefabri, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    Had my first physical therapy session yesterday. Basically an evaluation of my range of motion at this point - some interesting results. All movements noted below are done passively by the physical therapist, not under my power:

Straightening my arm: not great, if I can get my arm to 160/170 degrees normally, I am probably at 140-150 degrees.
    Bending my arm: Pretty darn good - almost normal range
    Supination: Not terrible. Passively, maybe 80% of the normal range
    Pronation: Sucks. Worst movement I had! Probably 50% normal range!
    Wrist: Normal, some light stiffness
    Shoulder: Some tightness, basically normal
    Grip: Nearly as bad as pronation. Where my good (but weaker arm) rated 103 lbs. (46.7 kg), my injured (dominant) arm was 35 lbs (15.8 kg). As point of reference, 45-50 kg is average, Anything less than 39 kg is poor. So 15.8 kg is basically a child in terms of grip!

All in all - not bad. Mildly concerned about the pronation, but I guess that's to be expected first session. PT said at this point I should NOT be actively using the arm - even for flexion / pronation / supination with no resistance. I have some exercises to do at home, and I resume therapy next week.

Thus begins the third part of my journey towards recovery!

21. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I really appreciate your upbeat spirit.

Your prognosis is more proof positive against wasting time worrying just for the sake of driving oneself nuts.

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks - I appreciate that! I am geared up to recover and get back in action!

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    5 weeks post-op, and in my first week of physical therapy. First session was fairly easy - some soreness, but no real issues other than some swelling, particularly on my ring finger, which I am told is normal.

Between the PT and my home exercises (as recommended by PT), my supination and pronation has made significant progress already! My flexion range isn't improving as fast - I can get my arm almost fully extended straight, but not so much up to my chest.

I am not too worried at this point. Things are progressing. I've been far less reliant on my "Terminator" brace - use it only when out or driving short distances.

I have another session tonight - looking forward to it!

24. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    With those measurements you are doing well. Remember strength will come back. Obtaining full ROM is the most important at this point. Keep listening to the do's and dont's as instructed by your PT/MD.

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #50 rdefabri, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Thanks man, great advice. I've had the benefit of a great team (both surgeon and PT associated with major sports franchises, and highly recommended), so I am definitely listening to their guidance. ROM is absolutely the current goal - it's amazing what 3 weeks in a cast will do to mess that up (on top of the surgery)

Tonight was a tough night - they stretched me good! Very sore now, but in a strange way, I am digging it.