top speed on 400i?? | FerrariChat

top speed on 400i??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by koisokok, Mar 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    had my 400i for about 5 months and really love the car..cant beleive how much attention i get in los angeles where you usally have to have a 150k plus car to get a thumbs up..anyways my question was has anyone topped your 400i out?? (of coarse on a suppervised closed off track) ...@@>>..i got mine up to 90 but wasnt used to the high rpms it puts out on our cars..i persume its due to our transmission missing that extra gear?? does it readline out around 150mph?? is the car stable at those speeds?? just wanted to get your guys thoughts..thanks..

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The manual is supposed to do 155mph, similar to my 330. In my opinion, these cars are too heavy to build up that much speed on a closed circuit. I got my 330 up to 135 once (not on a closed circuit) it was still accelerating well but that speed was enough for me.

Regards,

Art S.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    What gear is your car missing? My 400GT had five forward gears...

4. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    lol..the 400i had a GM TH400, which has 3 forward speeds....!

5. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Hi Guys,
    Had my 84 Auto speed checked on a runway in Suffolk UK at 140mph. Runway was just over 2 miles long, and radar was used to check speed. The car had a blown head gasket at the time, fixed now, but was stable. The first run was a bit scary when I braked, but the next two times were fine after the brakes stopped juddering.
    The speedo showed dead on 140 as I crossed the timing area, so it was obviously accurate at that speed, I had seen 150mph on it about six months previous in France on a motorway. I was trying to catch up with a fast moving 360, and would like to have seen his face as I reeled him in after getting clear of other traffic. We both pulled into a service station just after that, and he was not very talkative! He was not impressed when a group of bikers walked straight past his car and asked to see my engine!
    Just got back from a short holiday with the wife, car was fully loaded and fueled, but easily got up to 130mph on a slight upward incline. Again the bloke behind who had got a bit to close was taught a lesson as he was left behind in his Ford. Of course I slowed down to let him catch up, but he did not return my wave as I let him pass!
    Keep on speeding!

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    nice to know!!how close to redline where you at??

7. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Hello again, the engine was on the redline from about 130mph. The way the auto box works it seems the engine builds up the revs, and the car catches up and continues to accelerate even though the revs stay the same.
    I would not advise anyone to hold it on the redline for to long, but every now and again it has to be done!

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've seen an indicated 145 mph on my 365, I've confirmed the speedo is accutate to +/- 1 mph to 100 mph with GPS...

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk

Sounds like a bit of torque converter slip. I'll bet the tranny fluid was heating up fast.

A more modern lock-up torque converter might have given a few more mph.

Just a thought:

be careful going those speeds if your tires aren't pretty new. Race cars don't see the potholes, curbs and ozone that street cars do. A tire failure at speed would be exciting at best.

10. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So they are just a lil bit faster than a 440 Chrysler New Yorker? :)

11. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I wonder if people who buy nice watches feel a need to compare the time keeping ability of their Tag Hauer with a twenty dollar Timex? ( the Timex keeps better time) (( I do not own a Timex))

12. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Have you ever driven a New Yorker at 130+ can you say understeer...............yikes