Top Gear U.S. Series! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Top Gear U.S. Series!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mertini86, Nov 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    tonight's episode was hilarious. Jumping the caddy had me in tears. literally.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I just saw one of the UK ones where they test a Porsche 911 GT convertible vs a Audi R10. And, it's amazing just how enjoyable something so simple as seeing these two cars go around the track can be with some clever commentary and interesting points of view.

Then, you look at the US version and it's flat as a pancake.

If you can't make a test of two super cars interesting, you can't make a successful entertaining car show.

That's what they need to do -- start with the basics and build from there.

3. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Best episode yet, plus the fact they showed my next car, the Laguna Seca, even though Tanner was bashing it..

4. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Tanner didn't bash it, he just pointed out the truth. lol

5. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Man, at times the first episode of TG USA was PAINFUL to watch- the interview with Buzz was almost uncomfortable.

As previously stated, I think the best thing about Top Gear UK is the chemistry between those guys and the fact that they can basically say whatever the hell they want to (can you imagine the complaints they must have received when Clarkson made that comment about truck drivers murdering prostitutes)!

I'm sure the show will improve... it can't get worse. I just don't know if I will be there to see it happen.

6. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    The third episode was certainly more enjoyable than the first 2, so things appear to be going in the right direction. I'd suspect that they can make a series out of it if the improvement continues. It will never be like UK Top Gear, but it shouldn't try to be, IMHO. I hope they find their own style in time.

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The show will do fine once they fire the three hosts, get some guys with personality and stop writing dialog.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #83 Bullfighter, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    I don't know... there was a scene in which one of the good hair hosts was rocking back and forth in the drivers seat and yelling "Come on, come on" to will the car to go faster. It was so similar to Jeremy Clarkson that it bordered on parody. It was almost creepy.

If that's "finding their own style", the show's in trouble.

Frankly we'd be better off having the 348 guys from FChat do their own public access show.

Agreed.

9. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I think this topic belongs in "Crappy Replicas".

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    +1

11. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    It's not the best show in the world, but still better than watching "Sarah Palin's Alaska" or "16 and Prego"

I'll keep tuning in, even if there are parts that make me feel uncomfortable for them due to the lack of any substantial chemistry so far.

12. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Just 11 days to the next show from Top Gear UK!

13. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ugh....
    It's actually getting harder to watch. Must keep going....

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's becoming clearer and clearer that it's a low budget copy of existing UK episodes. If you never saw any UK episodes, it might seem rather interesting.

If you have, it reminds you of a plate of cold Spagettios vs a fine dinner in Florence.

15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    the morgan segment was well done. too bad it didnt get to the stig.

just needs less silly 'races' between hosts and more serious comparisons between cars. gt2rs vs gto? atom vs xbow?

maybe we can come up with ideas and producers will listen. bet theyre aware of fchat.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    What is funny about the TGUS is that they seem to be able to get better/bigger "stars" for their cheap car. For as big as Top Gear UK is they have some pretty weak stars many times.

TGUS has potential, but they seem to miss on the timing most of the time. Adam Ferrara is not that funny and is kind of annoying, Tanner Faust would be good at evaluating cars if they would actually ever test any, but he is dry. Rutledge Wood is my favorite and is funnier than the "comedian". Of the three, he is the strongest so far, IMO.

They seem to miss the obvious one-liners (even if they were set up before shooting). The whole Stig segment is fairly lame also. I will continue to watch but at the moment it is a bland imitation of the original. TG Australia wasn't much better.

I would love for them to make fun of Brits like Clarkson does the US, but that is probably not acceptable to the BBC. They don't really make fun of each other either.

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    IMO, (and I don't know if this is true) but does TGUK get stars that are more known to the Brits and possibly more known "car people"?

I think the overall show is getting better, but the dialogue is just not working. And watching Tanner test the Morgan was incredibly annoying. I can't believe he seriously started counting.....100....110.....120.....125. STOP IT!!!!!!!!

And Tanner, please never ever use the word "flog" again.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the cars selected -- Lotus Evora and Morgan Supersport -- were inspired choices. But as usual the banter is painful and the format seems inherited and uncomfortable.