Top Gear: GTR's time | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Top Gear: GTR's time

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Akira, Jul 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    How much fun is it with the VDC on though? If you turn it off to try to match the magazine times, bye bye warranty....

IMO it makes no sense to have electronics on a car to get good times, but have those electronics be forbidden from warrantied use.

2. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    show me a warranty that doesn't exclude damage caused by track use.

FWIW turning off the VDC does not void the warranty. This is more misinformation. If you actually read the owner's manual it cites the warranty booklet. The warranty booklet has a exclusion under the tire warranty that says excess wear due to tire spin is not grounds for a warranty claim. Driving with the VDC off could therefore cause the tires to spin to the point of excess wear in which case that exclusion takes effect.

3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Guess you didn't read the threads I read....

Just let the owners drive them. It seems to me Nissan is afraid of them breaking....

4. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    #129 Shinkaze, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    The owners manual says to read the Warranty Information Booklet for a list of exclusions and limitations for warranty repair which can be caused by certain conditions including driving with the VDC off. If you then read the Warranty Information Booklet you will see that it does not say turning off VDC will void your warranty, it says tire failure caused by excessive wheel spin is not covered and is considered abuse. One would have to turn off VDC in order to cause this to occur.

The whole thing has been blown a bit out of proportion, pretty much every performance car warranty I've seen cites abuse of the product as reason to deny a warranty claim. I know for a fact my BMW M3 has similar language in it's warranty paperwork.

5. monaroCountry

monaroCountry Karting

Dec 23, 2007

Actually increase the ZR1 power to 638hp for a better power to weight!!!!!

People dont really have a problem with the ZR1 and ACR because they can at least understand why it goes so fast. With the ZR1 people can see that it has comparable power, higher torque, fairly lightweight, have advanced suspension, massive sticky tires and have monster brakes. The GTR is totally the opposite, its heavy, underpowered, less torque, no monster CC brakes, and far smaller tires. The Viper is has the same spec as the ZR1 but with proper racing type aero keeping it planted in all situations.

6. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    You forgot to mention the GT-R is a technology megahouse, dual clutch transmission, slick electronicly controlled turbo, ATTESA AWD system with rear bias, specially designed rims and tires, a dozen onboard sensors mated to an advanced drive control system.

The ZR1 and ACR? Ultimate American cars - No replacement for displacement. ZR-1 & ACR are old dogs with bigger engines, tighter chasis, bigger brakes. (though I must give props to the new Corvette suspension system - very impressive) The GT-R is like an alien automobile with never seen before technology that makes it go fast. Completely different animals. Take a GT-R, strip it down, add another 300hp, take away 500lbs, huge brakes, dedicated engineering just for tracks - and you'll have a Nissan equivalent of the ZR-1 and ACR. Until then, the ZR-1 is the fastest ultimate Corvette ever built in GM history - the ACR is the fastest baddest Viper ever, and the GT-R is the new base model Nissan Gran Touring 4 seater coupe.

7. Fenivision

Fenivision Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I simply don't trust turbo'd or super-charged cars. It's much more difficult to just "add a few hp" to the car for a test on a N/A car ...

8. monaroCountry

monaroCountry Karting

Dec 23, 2007
    The GTR is a playstation car that has a dodgy/weak transmission, unreliable power rating, ugly, fat, and apparently isnt as involving as other proper supercars. It's these same technology in the years to come that will be the GTR's main downfall. Especially when it comes time to replacing the various sensors. When warning lights turns the car into a Christmas tree and puts it in limp mode very time you drive it.

The ZR1 and the ACR's path is of reliability and no hassle maintenance. Nissan just tries too hard to impress with unreliable stats and shady explanations of how it achieves those stats........thats never going to be replicated.

9. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006

I guess we'll see. Traditionally Japanese cars have more reliable electrical system than American car, which in term has better electrical design than European cars. Why do you think the GT-R will have electrical problems? I havn't heard of many Nissans or other Japanese cars having electrical gremlins.

I am not sure whether or not the ZR1 suspension will be all that reliable since it's brand new for GM especially in this type of ultra-performance application. The Viper ACR is basicly a race car built on old foundations so it should be a rock solid track star.

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    GM has been using this for years.

11. f355c5

f355c5 Rookie

Apr 7, 2008
    GTR will retry the ring in april. eat your heart out.

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    This threads like 5 months old!

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    "Eat your heart out"? After a year of lies and tuned cars? Uh huh.

14. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    And who cares?

Nissan will continue playing around posting up fake times.

15. f355c5

f355c5 Rookie

Apr 7, 2008
    Who cares ? LOL. Porsche cares --Nissan cares --Corvette cares --Viper cares --I care. Tell the truth -have you ever seen a GTR run on a track or at the strip ?

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    No one care now that all of the "secrets" have been exposed. If they run fast laps with the car they say they have, then so be it. But a stripped down hopped up car isn't a production car, so it can't log production car times.

17. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    when did they discover the GTR was ringer? Hasn't this been debated- and nothing proven?

18. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #143 62 250 GTO, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    The pics with the roll cage, slicks etc. are enough to know it isn't a stock car.

Others have tried to get the same lap times with the stock cars and fell well short of anything spectacular.